Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costo Interstate Battery best price/performance of any Flooded Lead Acid Battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willy T View Post
    Here is a graph from The Battery Council International for Traction / Deep Cycle Batteries that supposedly shows cycle life at a couple different charge returns.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7826[/ATTACH]
    A little hard to analyze since it is not clear what DOD is used for the test nor what exactly % of rated cycle life refers to. There is some indication that they are using 50% of original capacity as the EOL point.

It is also interesting to note the increase is capacity at the beginning as the battery plates form through the initial charge/discharge cycles.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      A little hard to analyze since it is not clear what DOD is used for the test nor what exactly % of rated cycle life refers to. There is some indication that they are using 50% of original capacity as the EOL point.

It is also interesting to note the increase is capacity at the beginning as the battery plates form through the initial charge/discharge cycles.
      Agreed, it's pretty generic, but it does give a visual of cycle life. I guess they collect the data from their members, but there is a large disparity in everything about the way batteries are used, charged and serviced that effect cycle life I don't know how anyone can make comparisons.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post

It also illustrates that if one sizes the bank so that 50% DOD meets load capacity, that initially the battery will need to be discharged to 80% until the plates are broken in?

Comment

Originally posted by lkruper View Post
          It also illustrates that if one sizes the bank so that 50% DOD meets load capacity, that initially the battery will need to be discharged to 80% until the plates are broken in?
          That is true, but it's not a GC-2 battery, It's more for a Industrial type or Traction battery ( 80% dod ). When you put a Rolls battery into service the SG level and capacity is all over the place as you cycle, the plates form at maybe 50 cycles or so, then you finally begin to get some consistency. A GC-2 takes maybe 20-30 cycles ( 50% dod ) and they smooth out and become predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
            What makes you think an Interstate battery is equal to a Trojan? That is a bit naive and gullible don't you think? What did you expect the rep to say? "No we cannot hold a candle to Trojan".... Keep in mind all sales people are pathological liars.

If you have Costco 208 AH battery you are comparing a 57 pound battery to a 67 pound horse of a battery.
            The Costco 208 AH batteries weigh 63lbs each. I have two of them on my travel trailer. Sams Club sells the same battery that is labeled Duracell (or Energizer I can't remember).

I have a 160w panel on my trailer and since I installed them in May they have held SG at about 1.277 They are mostly in float though.
            Conext XW5548
            Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

Originally posted by hammick View Post
              The Costco 208 AH batteries weigh 63lbs each. I have two of them on my travel trailer. Sams Club sells the same battery that is labeled Duracell (or Energizer I can't remember).

I have a 160w panel on my trailer and since I installed them in May they have held SG at about 1.277 They are mostly in float though.
              Sounds like they are working. I would presume that as you go through the winter months the amount those batteries get charged will be a lot less then what you have bee getting since May.

Let us know how well they perform next spring.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                Sounds like they are working. I would presume that as you go through the winter months the amount those batteries get charged will be a lot less then what you have bee getting since May.

Let us know how well they perform next spring.
                The trailer won't be used over the winter. It's stored inside and batteries hooked up to a Blue Sky Energy 30a PWM controller (temperature compensated) with a 100w panel that is mounted to the wall of the barn facing due South. The ABS voltage is set to 15v and absorption time to 15 minutes. Float is set to 13.4v. Auto equalization is disabled. I will be able to check them over Thanksgiving and give them a good equalization then and check water. They will be on their own after that until probably Late March or April.

I'll report back on their condition next Spring.
                Conext XW5548
                Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

Folks, whenever someone puts another down, to try & impress other bullies that he's "all that," is when all should give him the razz-berry & bail on his bragging butt. I am not impressed over a guy's credentials when he posts them to really jazz you about his level of 'whoa-boy' greatness - especially when his MSEE & PE status can't be verified - I didn't note that they were certificated. Got it, hotshot?
                  And just to show what a blowhard BS artist Mr. "First mistake is you are assuming the battery is 208 AH which is dead ass wrong" actually is: I bought four 6V GC2 batteries from Costco April 2010; they were Kirkland label & were made by Johnson Controls. I installed them in my 5th wheel trailer series-parallel & via a 2000watt Magnum Inverter/Charger, powered a 32" color TV, DVD player, satellite antenna motor, two (2) high resistance heating pads simultaneously, multiple 12 volt lighting fixtures, a coffee maker, yada yada yada. They were labelled at 220Ah (which were more capacity than the Interstate replacements Costco now carries) & I just this week decided to replace them, because the solar panel-charged recovery was getting slower than I liked. IMHO, not bad for $76 each (in 2010) versus Trojan's price point. BTW, I was lazy & because I had to store my rig 30 minutes from home, I often forgot to go water them for 3 months at a time. My bad, or they might still be humming along. This is my first post, but I'm so tired of the braggart aspect we're having to put up with in our Federal gov't today, I just was rubbed the wrong way & had to put my 2 cents in, to let you know that - he doesn't know. If I had to put up with a "sparky" that came on like that with a client or even a team member on my projects (I'm an architect, but have no way to show you my diploma or licenses from 3 states) his ** would be pounding the bricks post haste.
                  Bill S. aka elkhair
                  Last edited by Mike90250; 01-23-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elkhair View Post
                    Folks, whenever someone puts another down, to try & impress other bullies that he's "all that," is when all should give him the razz-berry & bail on his bragging butt. I am not impressed over a guy's credentials when he posts them to really jazz you about his level of 'whoa-boy' greatness - especially when his MSEE & PE status can't be verified - I didn't note that they were certificated. Got it, hotshot?
                    And just to show what a blowhard BS artist Mr. "First mistake is you are assuming the battery is 208 AH which is dead ass wrong" actually is: I bought four 6V GC2 batteries from Costco April 2010; they were Kirkland label & were made by Johnson Controls. I installed them in my 5th wheel trailer series-parallel & via a 2000watt Magnum Inverter/Charger, powered a 32" color TV, DVD player, satellite antenna motor, two (2) high resistance heating pads simultaneously, multiple 12 volt lighting fixtures, a coffee maker, yada yada yada. They were labelled at 220Ah (which were more capacity than the Interstate replacements Costco now carries) & I just this week decided to replace them, because the solar panel-charged recovery was getting slower than I liked. IMHO, not bad for $76 each (in 2010) versus Trojan's price point. BTW, I was lazy & because I had to store my rig 30 minutes from home, I often forgot to go water them for 3 months at a time. My bad, or they might still be humming along. This is my first post, but I'm so tired of the braggart aspect we're having to put up with in our Federal gov't today, I just was rubbed the wrong way & had to put my 2 cents in, to let you know that - he doesn't know. If I had to put up with a "sparky" that came on like that with a client or even a team member on my projects (I'm an architect, but have no way to show you my diploma or licenses from 3 states) his ** would be pounding the bricks post haste.
                    Bill S. aka elkhair
                    Hello elkhair and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

Try not to let how people make comments here get to you because sometimes what they are trying to say is correct and needs to get the poster's attention even if it seems a bit rude.

Some people understand solar and battery systems but most do not and end up wasting their money building a system that does not perform as they expect.

Others build a system that works because they take the time to understand how to use it and maintain it. IMO most would kill of their first and second set of batteries due to over discharging them. They may learn or may not. Each has their own learning curve.

So hang in there and enjoy the forum. I am sure others will be interested in the details of your system and how you made it work.

Comment

Originally posted by elkhair View Post
                      Your very first post and you dig up a 3 year old thread.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Your very first post and you dig up a 3 year old thread.
                        That's how you know he's the new guy.

I happen to need batteries for my 36V golf cart so I started reading page 1 without noticing the date.
                        Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                        6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Originally posted by azdave View Post
                          I happen to need batteries for my 36V golf cart so I started reading page 1 without noticing the date.
                          He did not start on page 1

MSEE, PE

Comment

He did not start on page 1
                            No kidding?
                            Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                            6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

I gave up on this forum because of all the negativity of one member. We all know who I am talking about. Usually I would not let one person keep me away but the moderators won't reel him in. Too bad. I have a lot I could contribute here but I'm not going to open myself up to the constant abuse. Now if the mods would take care of the problem this would be a very productive forum with a lot more participation.
                              Last edited by hammick; 04-03-2018, 01:36 PM.
                              Conext XW5548
                              Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

Originally posted by sdold

If you'd like to remain on the forum and avoid seeing posts by any user, you can try the "ignore" feature. Here's how:

(From the Help files)

How do I ignore another member?

If there are particular members that are bothering you and you do not wish to see their posts or receive Private Messages from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'.

In the top right of the forum, click your Username. A dropdown menu will appear and from here you need to select 'User Settings'. On the page that appears, click 'Account' and scroll to the bottom. In the text area next to 'Ignore List', enter the Usernames of users that you want to Ignore.

Thanks but that doesn't solve the problem. He infects most threads on this forum whether I ignore him or not. He drives away a lot of new members who are just looking for some helpful advice. This guy who many people have a problem with should receive a nice long ban IMHO. If he hasn't learned his lesson after that he should be removed permanently. That's what it would take for me to be a regular participant here. I'm guessing many others feel the same.
                                Conext XW5548
                                Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

Working...
                                X