Making a 12 Volt Battery Bank Using QTY 6 of 6 Volt GC2 Batteries

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wyreless
    • Aug 2015

Once again more great info. I like the utilization of different sub-banks for different purposes.

I slipped up on my radios. On the FT-450s did you have the original or the "D": version . I am lucky and do have the "D" version and am hoping that may have been addressed. Also it was late last nite , I have the FT-857 not the FT-897 just to be clear. I also have the Lil FT-817nd. That will be nice to just listen and sip current and do some QRP work..

Question about initial setup. I have a BOSCH C3 Charger that is a smart charger. It does do 6 volt and 12 volt. Am I better off putting each battery on the charger for a first time top off OR do I go ahead and setup the bank and do 1 Charge off at a full 12 Volt? I have not touched the battery bank or connected anything up as of yet. And you only get one FIRST TIME. I have read a few forums where guys always said "You did do a first time EQ charge didn't you?"

Please, if Im wearing you guys out let me know. I have spent plenty of time looking on the internet and like I said I am not a noob. But I also find that when you get a live wire who knows his stuff, especially with SOLAR, best to double check whats out there. Just because its on the internet doesn't mean its right!

Thanks once again.

Comment

• PNjunction
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Wyreless
      I slipped up on my radios. On the FT-450s did you have the original or the "D": version . I am lucky and do have the "D" version and am hoping that may have been addressed. Also it was late last nite , I have the FT-857 not the FT-897 just to be clear. I also have the Lil FT-817nd. That will be nice to just listen and sip current and do some QRP work..
      Mine were the D version supposedly after the update. My problems seem to start when the dc voltage was actually about 12.5v or less. Prior, they lived on a well regulated 13.8v Astron or Samlex supply. The 857 makes a fine choice too. Note that out of the box, they sound too "wide" on rx, and that is because one needs to activate the [DBF] bandpass filtering, AND also set the LPF and HPF to something reasonable, like 300hz lpf, and 2700hz hpf. Thought I had a broken rig until I discovered that out of the box the lpf and hpf were about 0 to 5k! No wonder. Getting back on track now...

Question about initial setup. I have a BOSCH C3 Charger that is a smart charger. It does do 6 volt and 12 volt. Am I better off putting each battery on the charger for a first time top off OR do I go ahead and setup the bank and do 1 Charge off at a full 12 Volt?
      Too small. You are looking at needing a 20A charger (or for that matter a solar array) since the minimum current that a flooded needs to keep the electrolyte from stratifying (differing levels of specific gravity) is C/12. Your cells are 215ah, so that means a minimum of about 18ah charge current. For a maximum, that would be about C/8, so once again 215 / 8 = 26.8A.

Bosch also says in their manual that your cells are about twice beyond it's limit. Perhaps as a *maintainer* once you have actually achieved a full charge would it be useful, and even then I'd just save it for smaller vehicle charging duty.

Inspect each of your cells, and create a pair that is closest in voltage to each other. Now use the 12v / 20A charger. Do likewise for other pairs. This will help ensure that you don't have a ugly mess of a time trying to parallel 8 of those all together, each in different states of charge, and having some cells vent, while others starve on the initial first charge.

WARNING - choose a quality charger, not a auto-parts store special. I am NOT FOND of Schumacher Speed-Chargers as they are too agressive for my needs of just normal charging.

Chargers are reviewed elsewhere, but one of the most common with decent quality is an IOTA. There are many. Just please avoid the auto-parts store chargers.

I have not touched the battery bank or connected anything up as of yet. And you only get one FIRST TIME. I have read a few forums where guys always said "You did do a first time EQ charge didn't you?"

Please, if Im wearing you guys out let me know. I have spent plenty of time looking on the internet and like I said I am not a noob. But I also find that when you get a live wire who knows his stuff, especially with SOLAR, best to double check whats out there. Just because its on the internet doesn't mean its right!

Thanks once again.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...