X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian S
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Sunking
    Now add on the ancillary equipment to make it work.
    What ancillary equipment? It already

includes installation, a maintenance agreement, the electrical inverter and control systems.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DanKegel
      Well, SunEagle in
      You want to talk about solar leasing vs. buying a solar energy system or how to finance your system. Talk about rebates, credits, PACE, FIT, SRECs, property tax credits. Post your question here, but remember that incentives are constantly changing!

said
      and http://www.mid.org/yourhome/programs/step.html is an example that gives consumers a whole $20/year
      discount. Was hoping for a few more examples.
      My reference to "energy demand and control" was associated with "turning off" your loads not switching to battery power. Conservation is the cheapest and easiest way to reduce your electric bill.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Ian S
        Well then Mike, I suggest the "moderators" change the rules of conduct which currently read as follows (emphasis added):
        Quit your whinning Ian. Those rules were made by the original owner of the site Jason who never enforced any rules. Strictly done for profit like the new owners. What you want is PC which is a form of censoring and silencing truth. If you are a moron, you should be labeled a moron for all to see. Free Speech is not Absolute like many thing, and this Forum can censor or allow anything they want at the Owners discretion. You or I may not like it, but that is the fact. If you don't like, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

It is called Marketing where all PR is good PR.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Sorry if that was confusing. I often type near-nonsense.

Peak shaving is peak shaving. Just like generation, one should do it with cheap methods (load management) before expensive methods (batteries). So success stories showing how to combine the two methods would be interesting.
          Until a really "cheap" energy storage system is invented and marketed you will not find many success stories. Hydro storage is the cheapest yet still not available or cost effective in most areas.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

What ancillary equipment? It already
            Go try to buy the battery. I dare you to.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• DanKegel
              Banned
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
              My reference to "energy demand and control" was associated with "turning off" your loads not switching to battery power. Conservation is the cheapest and easiest way to reduce your electric bill.
              Absolutely; if demand is getting high, one should shut down loads if possible, and only then start drawing down the battery.

Examples of residential load shedding are interesting, as that's going to be part of any sensible solution.

Comment

• DanKegel
                Banned
                • Sep 2014

Which ancillary equipment were you referring to? Or was that just a spurious and poorly-thought out objection?

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Absolutely; if demand is getting high, one should shut down loads if possible, and only then start drawing down the battery.

Examples of residential load shedding are interesting, as that's going to be part of any sensible solution.
                  Most of my experience has been in the industrial field where Demand Penalties from the POCO can get very expensive. I designed numerous systems that would "shed" loads to keep the demand from exceeding a specific kW limit during a 15 minute time period. When you are talking about $10/kw and you are using 1000 kw during a 15 min period that comes to $10,000 / month or $120,000/yr penalty just because you went over the limit for 1 minute.

While those systems were big and somewhat expensive you can now find relatively inexpensive systems that works for home or small business. Although the payback is longer since home and small businesses do not get charged or penalized for exceeding a specific Demand usage.

Comment

• DanKegel
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2014

you can now find relatively inexpensive systems that works for home or small business. Although the payback is longer...
                    Do you happen to have any names or links handy?

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

That is not a Solution, that is a band-aide for a hemorrhage of a failed energy policy of not building enough capacity to meet demands.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Do you happen to have any names or links handy?
                        I do not remember what it was called but there was someone on this Forum that was experimenting with a hardware/software package that worked from his I phone. Not only would it identify your household loads and track them there were also devices that could be used to turn off certain loads by program or remotely from the phone.

Radio Shack use to have something like this back in the 80's when people were looking for ways to reduce their electrical usage. That equipment would send a single over the house power lines to a device (like a lamp) that was plugged in to it and turn it on or off by command.

Comment

• Ian S
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2011

Residential load controllers are not uncommon here in Arizona as APS has had optional demand rate tariffs for decades. If you have a lot of high power electric appliances, they can pay for themselves fairly quickly I'm told. I would have considered one except I had gas water heater, gas heat and later, a gas dryer. Also no pool with its pump. Load controllers elsewhere are often used for commercial buildings such as this example where you save big by keeping demand below a set-point.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Radio Shack use to have something like this back in the 80's when people were looking for ways to reduce their electrical usage. That equipment would send a single over the house power lines to a device (like a lamp) that was plugged in to it and turn it on or off by command.
                            Utilizes had that ability too back in the 80's. They could turn off your air conditioner 15 minutes of every hour. In Oklahoma they called it the Good Cents Program. They still can if you are dumb enough to go along with it. Today it is called a Smart Meter that can turn off anything the POCO wants when they want if you allow it to happen.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• Ian S
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Sep 2011

I don't want just the battery, I want the system installed. And Bloomberg is reporting the lease price for the system including the battery from what I can gather.

Comment

• Sunking
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2010

I don't want just the battery, I want the system installed. And Bloomberg is reporting the lease price for the system including the battery from what I can gather.
                                Go buy one then.
                                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...