Leave a comment:

• DanKegel
    replied
    Guess I need to get me a copy of Loxfinger

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    Originally posted by DanKegel
    +1. Speaking as a non-battery-expert, it's cool to see lead-acid battery technology still making progress. Never let anyone tell you old dogs can't learn new tricks.
    In the words of Mother Margolies ("M") in the Israel Bond (Oy-oy-seven) parody series:
    "You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can teach an old dog to teach a new dog old tricks."

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by bberry
    I'm sure it will. The last steam locomotives were spectacular.
    They are still in use. Anyway Steam Engines are alive and well in the world. Nothing can match to raw power of a steam engine. 98% or so of all electricity in the world is generated with steam engines.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy T
    I see a lot of talk, but We can get that by reading Trojans literature. How about someone talking buy a set and keep us informed on how they do or someone that uses them step up and tell us. Everyone that I have seen post about them has a hard time charging them with standard voltage because of available sun hours.
    That applies to all batteries. Very few ever have enough panel wattage.

Point is and you are still missing it is the Industrial and RE Lines are intended to be operated in the PSOC range. I doubt many folks even know what PSOC actually means. That is why they don't get it and don't understand.

Operating in PSOC range is the killer for most Pb batteries.

Leave a comment:

• bberry
    replied
    Originally posted by DanKegel
    +1. Speaking as a non-battery-expert, it's cool to see lead-acid battery technology still making progress. Never let anyone tell you old dogs can't learn new tricks.

I'm sure it will. The last steam locomotives were spectacular.

Leave a comment:

• Willy T
    replied
    I see a lot of talk, but We can get that by reading Trojans literature. How about someone talking buy a set and keep us informed on how they do or someone that uses them step up and tell us. Everyone that I have seen post about them has a hard time charging them with standard voltage because of available sun hours.

Leave a comment:

• DanKegel
    replied
    Originally posted by paulcheung
    Well you know the major problem with FLA batteries on PV RE application is the sulfation...
    With Trojan Smart Carbon Technology, that problem is solved...

When that is setup properly with auto-generator start and automatic water refill system, the off grid FLA battery system is almost maintenance free, just check the reserve water and generator fuel once per month.
    Minor quibble: That's a long way from maintenance-free. These days, consumers expect Things To Just Work. Remember when you had to check fluid levels in your car at every fill-up? It's still a good idea, but nobody does it anymore because Things Just Work. Nobody reads manuals anymore, either. (And don't get me started about renters

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by paulcheung
    Well you know the major problem with FLA batteries on PV RE application is the sulfation. It cause all the heat and maintenance. To prevent the sulfation on FLA battery you have to charge the battery back to 100% SOC most of the time if not all the time. In order to do that on PV RE application you have to charge the batteries with the highest charge rate allowed and with higher absorb voltage which cause all the heat to charge the final 15% SOC.

With Trojan Smart Carbon Technology, that problem is solved. you can set up your system to operate on 50 to 80% SOC to avoid the hard last 15% absorb charge and only fully charge now and then so the battery will run much cooler and much less gassing. just make sure the charge rate will stir up the electrolyte to avoid stratification.

When that is setup properly with auto-generator start and automatic water refill system, the off grid FLA battery system is almost maintenance free, just check the reserve water and generator fuel once per month.
    +1 Paul, you understand. Only correction I can add is the battery can be safely operated in 20 to 100% range safely pretty much like Lithium usable range or 80% capacity. That does not imply you design to operate in that range, but it does mean you can safely down size from 5 day autonomy to 4 days which gives you 2-3 days of usable capacity before firing up the generator.

To bad the knuckleheads don't get it.

Leave a comment:

• paulcheung
    replied
    Two caveats on the RE line: 1) Keeping them cool, and 2) Proper maintenance. If either is lacking, these will get no where near rated life. But these aren't too pricey either for a more premium battery.
    Trojan's watering system is interesting too. I like how they seem to be focused on real user needs.
    Well you know the major problem with FLA batteries on PV RE application is the sulfation. It cause all the heat and maintenance. To prevent the sulfation on FLA battery you have to charge the battery back to 100% SOC most of the time if not all the time. In order to do that on PV RE application you have to charge the batteries with the highest charge rate allowed and with higher absorb voltage which cause all the heat to charge the final 15% SOC.

With Trojan Smart Carbon Technology, that problem is solved. you can set up your system to operate on 50 to 80% SOC to avoid the hard last 15% absorb charge and only fully charge now and then so the battery will run much cooler and much less gassing. just make sure the charge rate will stir up the electrolyte to avoid stratification.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by alterego
    Help with sizing? Looking at 18 285 watt solar panels to a 48 v charge controller. .
    Figure it out yourself.

Off Grid Design

Give you your first hint.

Amps = Panel Wattage / Battery Voltage

Now go learn to fish and feed yourself.

Leave a comment:

• alterego
    replied
    Originally posted by Amy@altE
    We've got them available. http://www.solarreviews.com/solar-di...rs/alte-store/

A few examples of price:
    6 volt @ 465 AH IND9-6V $834
    6V 695Ah IND13-6V $1138
    4 volt 1618Ah IND29-4V $1500
    Help with sizing? Looking at 18 285 watt solar panels to a 48 v charge controller. Likely two hooked to one battery. I have been monitoring closely and we have been running at 13.7 max to 6.9 kwh use per day for a few months. In the winter we will run the blower on the wood furnace. It seems to eat 300 watts per hour on the high side. I have left it run at night to measure through the smart meter. So another 3 kwh on top of our usage. Gets me to 15 16 per day.

285 x 18 x 4.2 average daily for our area is 21.54 kwh
    285 x 18 x 2.2 low December is 11.28 kwh

Obviously some generator time every so often in November December January

So if I am looking for this battery at 30 percent dod. With 6 volts x 8 batteries for a 48 volt bank.
    What will 8 six volt 465 ah batteries in a 48 volt configuration translate into kwh of usable power at 30 percent dod.

Leave a comment:

• russ
    replied
    Solarcity said they would do Powerwall offgrid in Hawaii in 2016.
    They say a lot of things - maybe even a few are true - though not many for sure!

Leave a comment:

• bberry
    replied
    He doesn't want the off-grid crowd.
    Solarcity said they would do Powerwall offgrid in Hawaii in 2016.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    He doesn't want the off-grid crowd.
    Maybe for now but it does not make any sense. I take that back. There is no tax payer money in that market.

Leave a comment:

Working...