Accidental short circuit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockah View Post
    I've played a trick on a few apprentice mechanics with a penny.
    Drop one in the lighter socket of a rear-door armrest ashtray (like those found on 70s Lincolns and Cadillacs), Then put the pop-up lighter back in the socket.

It would blow the dome/clock/lighter fuse. It would take some mechanics days to
    figure it out... (and they would get paid 1hour for the diagnosis)
    I observe there are very few people really competent at debugging modest power
    circuits. The methods I read about are strictly hit & miss. Even at work, I got a
    lot of calls to fix somebody else's 48V lab wiring (not my real job). Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      In case you want to create thermal burns on top of acid burns ? using a base to neutralize an acid, releases heat, and the acid in embedded in your fingerprints.
      Water first, then follow up with bicarb if necessary.
      The bicarb is good for a first round for spills that are not on your skin yet.

Or, in your special case, vinegar. I suggest a good balsamic or white wine type.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Ok so just had my first and hopefully last accidental short. And Ive got some quetions:

1. Is there a way to revive a bat that is not showing voltage?

2. Best way to clean the mess (melted metal)

3. Is there a way to test inverter/charger (to see if its working) without batteries

4. Can you point me to a post about proper water measurong and refill practice
        Last edited by Emorales; 06-13-2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Emorales View Post

1. Is there a way to revive a bat that is not showing voltage?

2. Best way to clean the mess (melted metal)

3. Is there a way to test inverter/charger (to see if its working) without batteries

4. Can you point me to a post about proper water measurong and refill practice
          A1.If you cannot read voltage on the battery term post after a fault, means it burnt the inner cell connections and it is TOAST. Time for new battery and underwear change. Now you know why fuses are installed directly on the Battery Term Post and NOT DOWNSTREAM. Hard way to learn.

A2. Good luck

A3. Your Inverter or device should be OK provided the short was not made inside the unit or on the terminals.

A4. Manufactures owner manual. Example from Trojan battery website. Scroll down to Watering.

These would have saved your battery and underwear. The 2151 is what you should be using. One fuse for the wire going to the charger, and the other going to the Load Device like an Inverter. The battery is the source of power, not the solar panels. You foun dout batteries pack a lot of current and explosive force. Hope you were not injured.

Last edited by Sunking; 06-13-2018, 07:48 PM.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

A1.If you cannot read voltage on the battery term post after a fault, means it burnt the inner cell connections and it is TOAST. Time for new battery and underwear change. Now you know why fuses are installed directly on the Battery Term Post and NOT DOWNSTREAM. Hard way to learn.

A2. Good luck

A3. Your Inverter or device should be OK provided the short was not made inside the unit or on the terminals.

A4. Manufactures owner manual. Example from Trojan battery website. Scroll down to Watering.

These would have saved your battery and underwear. The 2151 is what you should be using. One fuse for the wire going to the charger, and the other going to the Load Device like an Inverter. The battery is the source of power, not the solar panels. You foun dout batteries pack a lot of current and explosive force. Hope you were not injured.

Guess I learned the hard and costly way but thankfully all my limbs are intact. Ok so first thing I'm doing is buying the 2151 fuse block you suggested.
            1. Should I fuse only the positive terminal, both and on all eight batteries or just first one(wired in series)
            2. Batts are trojan 235amp@6v what fuse size you recommend for line that goes to inverter? And fuse size for line that comes from 60Amppt is a 60amp fuse ok?
            3. Any advice on underwear

Comment

Guess I learned the hard and costly way but thankfully all my limbs are intact. Ok so first thing I'm doing is buying the 2151 fuse block you suggested.
              1. Should I fuse only the positive terminal, both and on all eight batteries or just first one(wired in series)
              2. Batts are trojan 235amp@6v what fuse size you recommend for line that goes to inverter? And fuse size for line that comes from 60Amppt is a 60amp fuse ok?
              3. Any advice on underwear
              A1. How are the batteries configure? 12, 24, or 48?

A2. Refer to the owners manual. Without knowing battery voltage and Inverter wattage I cannot answer.

A3. I prefer Boxers.

MSEE, PE

Comment

A1. How are the batteries configure? 12, 24, or 48?

A2. Refer to the owners manual. Without knowing battery voltage and Inverter wattage I cannot answer.

A3. I prefer Boxers.
                Its a (8) 6v batteries in series for 48v 235a/h. The inverter is a 2000w aims inverter charger. And 50A mppt

Comment

Its a (8) 6v batteries in series for 48v 235a/h. The inverter is a 2000w aims inverter charger. And 50A mppt
                  If the system is grounded you need just one on the volt Positive polarity. If it is a Floating system you will need a second one on the Negative polarity

50 Amp fuse to Inverter and contoller.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Ok so just had my first and hopefully last accidental short.
                    Might also want to consider investing in a few insulated tools. I have just one - an insulated 3/8" ratchet - and it's saved me at least once from a fumble.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
                      Might also want to consider investing in a few insulated tools. I have just one - an insulated 3/8" ratchet - and it's saved me at least once from a fumble.
                      Ditto and good advice and may not be as expensive as you think. Example to start take a close look at the hardware for all battery terminations. Chances are a simple insulated adjustable wrench (aka C recent which is a brand), insulated Slip Joint Pliers and screw drivers. Screw drives are easy to insulate your shelf with Heat Shrink Tubing. If you want to buy good quality tools for electrical work most every spark uses Klein Tools. Batteries are dangerous so give them respect. Enough energy just a slip of a wrench is enough to vaporize the wrench handle, and ladies and gentle get rid of the rings, bracelets and necklaces.

I have seen a wedding ring blown right of a finger. The poor SOB lost his finger when said and done from severe burns down to the bone. Never bled a drop of blood. His wrench slipped of the hot polarity on a -48 vdc power plant and went in tie framework. At first it was kind of funny at first. Sam was a Hill Billy with a heavy accent. We heard the pop and seen the flash. Sam never yelled or screamed. He just said; "dang where did my ring go"? and was looking on the for it. We found it in bits and pieces of gold BB's. The tough old bird went right back to work until I forced him to stop and took him to the hospital. While I was drivng him to the Hospital, he said;m "will lookey here what I found the rest of it" as he dug it out of his finger wife a knife. He pried it out of the bone. The tough SOB went to the bar after the hospital and made it to work the next day minus a finger. I still stay in contact with him.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

Ditto and good advice and may not be as expensive as you think. Example to start take a close look at the hardware for all battery terminations. Chances are a simple insulated adjustable wrench (aka C recent which is a brand), insulated Slip Joint Pliers and screw drivers. Screw drives are easy to insulate your shelf with Heat Shrink Tubing. If you want to buy good quality tools for electrical work most every spark uses Klein Tools. Batteries are dangerous so give them respect. Enough energy just a slip of a wrench is enough to vaporize the wrench handle, and ladies and gentle get rid of the rings, bracelets and necklaces.

I have seen a wedding ring blown right of a finger. The poor SOB lost his finger when said and done from severe burns down to the bone. Never bled a drop of blood. His wrench slipped of the hot polarity on a -48 vdc power plant and went in tie framework. At first it was kind of funny at first. Sam was a Hill Billy with a heavy accent. We heard the pop and seen the flash. Sam never yelled or screamed. He just said; "dang where did my ring go"? and was looking on the for it. We found it in bits and pieces of gold BB's. The tough old bird went right back to work until I forced him to stop and took him to the hospital. While I was drivng him to the Hospital, he said;m "will lookey here what I found the rest of it" as he dug it out of his finger wife a knife. He pried it out of the bone. The tough SOB went to the bar after the hospital and made it to work the next day minus a finger. I still stay in contact with him.
                        Holly ****!!!!! ?
                        Guess what Im buying right now

Comment

Guy I worked with at TRW, lost his ring finger to his motorcycle battery. It welded itself to battery and frame, and cooked his finger off - screaming all the while.
                          Battery had enough juice to weld, but not to vaporize.
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                            Guy I worked with at TRW, lost his ring finger to his motorcycle battery. It welded itself to battery and frame, and cooked his finger off - screaming all the while.
                            Battery had enough juice to weld, but not to vaporize.
                            A pretty common practice in the industrial field for Electricians is to remove all jewelry before going into the field to work. This is especially true for wedding rings.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

A pretty common practice in the industrial field for Electricians is to remove all jewelry before going into the field to work. This is especially true for wedding rings.
                              FWIW, same goes for most anyone who works in fab./welding and machine shops, but for reasons usually/mostly unrelated to electricity.

Also, I used to root around in the oil patch some. Didn't take me long to notice a correlation between bits/pieces of finger loss and age of production workers (I noticed that because of how often they seemed to want to show me their middle digit). Anecdotally, the digit loss among those folks seemed only loosely correlated with the situational awareness of the personnel. Generally, oil field workers are some of the sharpest and toughest folks I've ever worked with. I leaned a lot from them.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                                Generally, oil field workers are some of the sharpest and toughest folks I've ever worked with. I leaned a lot from them.
                                Yep the young dumb and full of come ones don't live long.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                                X