2V batteries with 4 bolt connetion between batteries - how to connect the cabel?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roil
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
    The inter cells look OK. But you are going to have to figure out Term Plates fro permanent installation. Something made from 1/4-inch copper buss bar material and insulated phenolic or fiber glass material for support.

Take this warning very serious. If you short the battery out, it will explode into a ball of hot plasma that will vaporize skin and bone into ash. OK? I care about your safety.

Your batteries are MEAN and will NOT tolerate any mistakes. One short circuit will vaporize steel and copper and the PLASMA gas will turn skin and bone to ash. You will not even feel the pain. UNDERSTAND?

Message read and understood - very clear - appreciate your concern

I will use 2 x 70mm2 of cables on each side (basically because I got them) I consider increasing with a third making in total a 210mm2 connection. I just struggle to visualize the copper termination plate. Why should this not be connected directly on top of the four posts thus keeping the termination protected inside the battery box. I assume that a 400A fuse mounted on the bar would increase safety - bad idea?

Well that is a good after thought as you ramp up demand. More importantly is installation details making sure all connections use a good quality battery grease, proper quality compression tooling and installation technique, and using a torque wrench set to the proper torque per manufactures listing. ATTENTION TO DETAILS IS CRITICAL in your application.

Where do I apply the grease?

Compression tooling, like this?

12-676_m.jpg

Torque wrench is fine, if I can't find manufactures listing - any recommendation?
    --------------------
    Norwegian off grid cabin owner
    Panels facing south

- Kyocera panels 135W
    - Tristar 60A MPPT
    - Victron 3000w/12V / 120A

Comment

• Roil
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
      One other thing you need to keep firmly in mind, especially if you mount the batteries with the terminals on top, is that any tool you use that is long enough to reach from one terminal to another needs to be insulated or handled very carefully. A wrench dropped between two battery terminals may end up melting like a fuse, only more violently, or just sitting there red hot until you figure out how to break it loose. (Better to just go to a safe distance and wait in most cases. The key is to plan ahead what you would do in the event of an accident instead of just reacting when it happens. Kind of like training yourself not to try to catch a sharp heavy knife when you drop it. )
      Got this, I believe this issue is also the reason why there are no open buss bar on this battery pack - it's basically much to dangerous on a cramped oil platform out in the Northsea. The black interconnection covers all terminals - there are no open terminals to short circuit. The only way to experience that is if the terminals on each side of the batterypack get into contact with the steel battery container.

And this is what this tread is all about - how to get this batterypack safely connected

DSC_0357.jpg
      --------------------
      Panels facing south

- Kyocera panels 135W
      - Tristar 60A MPPT

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Roil
        Got this, I believe this issue is also the reason why there are no open buss bar on this battery pack - it's basically much to dangerous on a cramped oil platform out in the Northsea. The black interconnection covers all terminals - there are no open terminals to short circuit. The only way to experience that is if the terminals on each side of the batterypack get into contact with the steel battery container.

And this is what this tread is all about - how to get this batterypack safely connected

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3230[/ATTACH]
        I still believe the battery manufacturer may have a standard termination "buss" that is used with those batteries.

It may not have been an exposed copper bar but something like a termination box that allowed you to make the 4 connections with the battery as well as terminations for your load cables and everything was insulated to prevent short circuiting.

Did you google the battery manufacturer to see if they have that type of termination box?

Comment

• Roil
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle
          I still believe the battery manufacturer may have a standard termination "buss" that is used with those batteries.

It may not have been an exposed copper bar but something like a termination box that allowed you to make the 4 connections with the battery as well as terminations for your load cables and everything was insulated to prevent short circuiting.

Did you google the battery manufacturer to see if they have that type of termination box?
          I agree, I would have expected them to supply this. Did Google - no luck. The Norwegian dealer is supposedly out of business.
          --------------------
          Panels facing south

- Kyocera panels 135W
          - Tristar 60A MPPT

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Where do I apply the grease?
            Light coat on wire skinners and mating surfaces.

Compression tooling, like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3229[/ATTACH]
            Yes

Torque wrench is fine, if I can't find manufactures listing - any recommendation?
            Should be listed in the battery manufacture installation manual. This is not exact to what you have but similar. Look at pages 13 and 14 for torque values. Manual Here.

Should look something like this when done.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

I agree, I would have expected them to supply this. Did Google - no luck. The Norwegian dealer is supposedly out of business.
              I found this battery that seems to have the same terminations for a 2 volt FLA battery.

Not the same battery but maybe you can find terminations that will fit.

Or this one which is a 1000ah 2 volt.

or this one.

or this one.

Last edited by SunEagle; 09-23-2013, 07:23 PM. Reason: added more batts

Comment

• Roil
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2012

Light coat on wire skinners and mating surfaces.

Now I struggle with the language

"Wire skinners" = ??
                "Mating surface" = between the battery terminal pole and the interconnectors?
                --------------------
                Panels facing south

- Kyocera panels 135W
                - Tristar 60A MPPT

Comment

• Roil
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle
                  I found this battery that seems to have the same terminations for a 2 volt FLA battery.

Not the same battery but maybe you can find terminations that will fit.

Or this one which is a 1000ah 2 volt.

or this one.

or this one.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/20...d_Battery.html

They look very similar - same "box" slightly different weight. Typical Chinese manufacturing style - Same "mold" used for multiple prands - maybe even the inside is the same. In this case some of the specs are at least different. Weight is slightly higher in mine

Thanks for helping - I'll give it a try
                  --------------------
                  Panels facing south

- Kyocera panels 135W
                  - Tristar 60A MPPT

Comment

• _OS_
                    • Feb 2013

Those are Fuli FL210000SL batteries

I am pretty sure the batteries are of the Fuli brand and more specific the FL210000SL batteries. Fuli are sold under different brand names in Norway. The description in the top of the spec sheets are the same and the dimensions and weights are the same. Data sheet attached.

FL210000SL.pdf

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by _OS_
                      I am pretty sure the batteries are of the Fuli brand and more specific the FL210000SL batteries. Fuli are sold under different brand names in Norway. The description in the top of the spec sheets are the same and the dimensions and weights are the same. Data sheet attached.

[ATTACH]3232[/ATTACH]
                      That certainly looks exactly like his battery. I checked their website but did not find any interconnecting cable items but maybe contacting them will get him closer to finding what he is looking for.

Comment

• _OS_
                        • Feb 2013

The Norwegian company that installed your batteries on the oil rig is still in business: www.getek.no and the dealer selling the identical Fuli batteries is www.alternativenergi.no

Correction: Getek is out of business!

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Now I struggle with the language

"Wire skinners" = ??
                          "Mating surface" = between the battery terminal pole and the interconnectors?
                          Sorry about that.

Wire skinners are the portion of wire or cable where you strip off the insulation in preparation of terminating a compression connector onto the cable. You apply a thin coat of oxide inhibitor compound to the bare wires before you squeeze a connector on.

Mating surfaces is any place where you terminate a connector or the area where contact if made between wire connector and a flat mating surface. So you got it right, just all mating surfaces.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Roil
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2012

Sorry about that.

Wire skinners are the portion of wire or cable where you strip off the insulation in preparation of terminating a compression connector onto the cable. You apply a thin coat of oxide inhibitor compound to the bare wires before you squeeze a connector on.

Mating surfaces is any place where you terminate a connector or the area where contact if made between wire connector and a flat mating surface. So you got it right, just all mating surfaces.
                            Thanks - crystalclear
                            --------------------
                            Panels facing south

- Kyocera panels 135W
                            - Tristar 60A MPPT

Comment

• Roil
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jun 2012

Soldering the cabel connectors?

Should the cabel connectors also be soldered?

--------------------
                              Panels facing south

- Kyocera panels 135W
                              - Tristar 60A MPPT

Comment

• Sunking
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2010

Should the cabel connectors also be soldered?

No No No and No
                                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...