Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East Penn 6 Volt Golf Cart Battery - Gp GC2 from carquest -- is this any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very rough rule of thumb (I think that there's a chart on here somewhere)

up to 1000W Inverter on 12V
    up to 2000W inverter on 24V

Comment

Originally posted by bahamasolarnoob View Post
      Yeah, I noticed I know way more stuff than him and thats just from reading this and other forums and watching countless youtube videos!
      I hope that you rely a lot more on what you learn here than what you see on YouTube. One of the problems that is that unless you already understand the topic you cannot distinguish the good stuff (which there is!) from the 95+% BS.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
        I hope that you rely a lot more on what you learn here than what you see on YouTube. One of the problems that is that unless you already understand the topic you cannot distinguish the good stuff (which there is!) from the 95+% BS.
        This is so true. I notice some youtubers have solar set ups that dont make any sense or are totally opposite of what I have read here or on other solar forums.

Ok, update.. I have ordered 2x 285w panels from Sunelec in miami, they have good prices especially if you pick it up in person.

I will go with a 24 V system, a 60 Amp mppt charge controller and a 2500 pure sine wave inverter for now.

(my starting goal is to run some fans, phone chargers, computer, tv, maybe some lights this year.
        Eventually after I order more panels I want my 7 amp fridge and maybe washer to be on it)

Question 1: Now I am guessing I need 4x 6V batteries in series before I hook anything up?
        Question 2: Does it make sense buying a larger pure sine inverter now, seeing that I want more stuff on it in the near future (end 2013-2014) and what size?

3: My other remaining questions are the wire sizes. I want to keep an eye on my brother in law electrician's decisions on wire sizes.

-wire size from panels to charge controller? (25 feet long)
        -wire size from charge controller to batteries? (on same wall)
        -wire size from batteries to inverter? (on same wall)

Any input is GREATLY appreciated. My power bill is around $500 without running A/c. Welcome to the Bahamas! :/

Comment

This is so true. I notice some youtubers have solar set ups that dont make any sense or are totally opposite of what I have read here or on other solar forums.

Ok, update.. I have ordered 2x 285w panels from Sunelec in miami, they have good prices especially if you pick it up in person.

I will go with a 24 V system, a 60 Amp mppt charge controller and a 2500 pure sine wave inverter for now.

(my starting goal is to run some fans, phone chargers, computer, tv, maybe some lights this year.
          Eventually after I order more panels I want my 7 amp fridge and maybe washer to be on it)

Question 1: Now I am guessing I need 4x 6V batteries in series before I hook anything up?
          Question 2: Does it make sense buying a larger pure sine inverter now, seeing that I want more stuff on it in the near future (end 2013-2014) and what size?

3: My other remaining questions are the wire sizes. I want to keep an eye on my brother in law electrician's decisions on wire sizes.

-wire size from panels to charge controller? (25 feet long)
          -wire size from charge controller to batteries? (on same wall)
          -wire size from batteries to inverter? (on same wall)

Any input is GREATLY appreciated. My power bill is around $500 without running A/c. Welcome to the Bahamas! :/
          Wo Wo Wo stop

Why are you thinking of going off grid?
          Does the local government allow grid tie and net metering?
          If they allow this stop the battery quest and do a grid tie. for what you will spend you can purchase twice as much as much solar and save 2-3 times what you would be saving on the electric bill alone not counting battery replacement.
          NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

STOP NOW.

Taking anything off-grid when you have the grid available is just plain foolish. Why on earth would you want to pay 5 to 10 times more for electricity the rest of your life? That is just plain ignorant.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown View Post
              Wo Wo Wo stop
              LOL

Why are you thinking of going off grid?
              I see your concern but its multiple reasons. 1. Our power grid is very unreliable, I am without power for weeks/months every year in the hurricane season.
              2. The power company here adds 'fuel charges' that fluctuate monthly, resulting in powerbills varying from $400 to sometimes $800 a month, for a 3 bed room house, without running a/c.
              I changed my stove, dryer and water heater to propane, this helped a lot already. I am selling my house and building a cottage in a remote area, I plan to take my solar set up with me eventually.

Does the local government allow grid tie and net metering?
              No they dont. It is illegal to produce power for others than your own use and feed it back to the grid.

If they allow this stop the battery quest and do a grid tie. for what you will spend you can purchase twice as much as much solar and save 2-3 times what you would be saving on the electric bill alone not counting battery replacement.
              I understand. So if I scale it down to just lights, tv and fridge I dont need as much panels then?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                STOP NOW.

Taking anything off-grid when you have the grid available is just plain foolish. Why on earth would you want to pay 5 to 10 times more for electricity the rest of your life? That is just plain ignorant.
                Yes in the US this is probably so, but here? Last year (2012) I paid between 400-800 US$ monthly and then in December they hit me with an additional $1,200 US$ bill because they had 'underestimated' my meter. My usage is around 800-900 KwH. Then we have spikes and surges that cause all my appliances to break up. I have replaced my tv set 3 times. I am not the only one, everybody is complaining here.
                I know some people they are completely off the grid and doing quite well. I am planning to buy my equipment every month or every other month.

Comment

Why on earth would you want to pay 5 to 10 times more for electricity the rest of your life?
                  Ok, do you mean 5 to 10 times because of the batteries that need changing after a couple of years?
                  Once I got panels, inverter and solar charger I should be good for a couple of years right? They dont need changing do they?

I figured with the rate the PowerCo. charges me I am getting my money back in a year or so.

What are you suggesting in my situation? A smaller emergency set up?

Comment

Real simple you live in the Bahamas right?

I was just there this week working with the Local Cellular Telephone company who had the exact same idea as you are thinking about. There is no place in the Bahamas the POCO cannot get too.

With Import Taxes a good 5 year battery will cost you $2000/Kwh. So in a 5 year replacement cycle means just in battery cost is $2000/1825 Kwh = $1.10/Kwh. Add some more fun to your pain is you have to pay to dispose of batteries in the Bahama's instead of being paid scrap for them. Do the math my friend.

Cybercell in Nassau said F-U , we want traditional Commercial Service with battery and generator back up after they looked at the numbers.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Power

Yes in the US this is probably so, but here? Last year (2012) I paid between 400-800 US$ monthly and then in December they hit me with an additional $1,200 US$ bill because they had 'underestimated' my meter. My usage is around 800-900 KwH. Then we have spikes and surges that cause all my appliances to break up. I have replaced my tv set 3 times. I am not the only one, everybody is complaining here.
                      If you only have a few lights, fans, TV & fridge, WHY is your usage 900 KWH per month.
                      With those I only see 300KWH per month (more when the furnace runs). My 21" diagonal
                      screen TV uses 27 W. My 5 year old Energy Star fridge 30 KWH per month. Find your
                      energy users.

My next step would be some heavy duty power conditioning (line stabilizer) to protect
                      any sensitive equipment. Get a generator for long outages, but don't plan to run it
                      more than several hours a day.

If you must have a bit of light & TV for short outages, put in 12V LED lights & 12V TV, and
                      a 12V battery just big enough for several hours. Keep it charged at all times by a line
                      charger (or generator). The battery will last a long time if only exercised for short
                      outages. A few panels might avoid running the generator during daylight, if only
                      12V stuff is in use. The fridge may determine when the gen must run. Bruce Roe

Comment

So confused right now. Good input though.

Comment

So confused right now. Good input though.
                          No reason to be. Get a pencil and paper out and work the numbers. Math does not lie. It is advocates, supporters, politicians, and people with agendas who lie.

1. Determine your maximum daily Watt Hour Usage
                          2. Determine worse case Solar Insolation of the year. In your case December January of roughly 3.5 Sun Hours in December/January
                          3. Calculate Equipment needed.
                          4. Price it out including material and hardware.
                          5. Considering you are in the Bahamas battery quality and selection will be limited. Most likely locally the best you can get is 2 or 3 year batteries.
                          6. Assuming the batteries will need replaced every 3 years determine replacement cost for up to 9 years assuming 5% higher cost each replacement cycle. Add in the equipment cost and calculate how much per Kwh will cost you over 10 years.

That should give you a very clear picture of what is really happening. My guess is you will not like what you see as the truth can be very ugly sometimes.

Good luck.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

No reason to be. Get a pencil and paper out and work the numbers. Math does not lie. It is advocates, supporters, politicians, and people with agendas who lie.
                            Ya forgot car salesmen in that category.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                              Ya forgot car salesmen in that category.
                              And some solar salesmen
                              NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

1. Determine your maximum daily Watt Hour Usage
                                2. Determine worse case Solar Insolation of the year. In your case December January of roughly 3.5 Sun Hours in December/January
                                3. Calculate Equipment needed.
                                4. Price it out including material and hardware.
                                5. Considering you are in the Bahamas battery hquality and selection will be limited. Most likely locally the best you can get is 2 or 3 year batteries.
                                6. Assuming the batteries will need replaced every 3 years determine replacement cost for up to 9 years assuming 5% higher cost each mreplacement cycle. Add in the equipment cost and calculate how much per Kwh will cost you over 10 years.

That should give you a very clear picture of what is really happening. My guess is you will not like what you see as the truth can be very ugly sometimes.

Good luck.
                                Oh ok so you guys were pulling the brake because of costs.
                                I was assuming the set up i had in mind was unsafe or a fire hazard.
                                I know my batteries are my biggest hurdle. Everything else i have budgeted
                                for.
                                I forgot to mention my pool pump. But thats not going on the system.
                                Last edited by bahamasolarnoob; 04-27-2013, 07:38 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Working...
                                X