Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East Penn 6 Volt Golf Cart Battery - Gp GC2 from carquest -- is this any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Penn 6 Volt Golf Cart Battery - Gp GC2 from carquest -- is this any good?

I am on an island. Trojan 105's cost $320 each here.
    The new carquest sells
    Heavy Duty Batteries by East Penn 6 Volt Golf Cart Battery - Gp GC2 - Minutes discharged at 25 Amps: 448 - 12 Month Warranty, 1
    Part Number: G110-12
    http://www.carquest.com/webapp/wcs/s...3623?acesApp=0

for $215

Is this any good to start with (I will use 2 for now)

I did a search and didnt see this type battery mentioned anywhere on this great forum. Thanks.

Got a link for the battery or model number?

I can find this from Dekka but does not match what you have.

You need to compare them. Two things to look at:

1. 20 Hour Rating. Should be at least 225 AH.
    2. Warranty, will only last as long as the warranty if you are lucky. Trojan T-105 carries 18 months on the T-105 and 24/12 months on the T-105RE line. The t-105 and the T-105RE are different batteries.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Got a link for the battery or model number?

I can find this from Dekka but does not match what you have.

You need to compare them. Two things to look at:

1. 20 Hour Rating. Should be at least 225 AH.
      2. Warranty, will only last as long as the warranty if you are lucky. Trojan T-105 carries 18 months on the T-105 and 24/12 months on the T-105RE line. The t-105 and the T-105RE are different batteries.

Ok according to page 3 on this carquest battery spec sheet
      It says 20 hour cap 230/215. (You will see part number G110-12 on page 3)
      So is this good for a beginner? I dont understand why the two numbers for the 20 hr cap. I am starting with 2x145 panels, adding 2 more in the summer.

About the warranty, I understand what you mean but where I live it's not like the States... The local battery shed has "some T-105's in the corner". They looked all dusty. No warranty.
      We just had a Carquest open here, its one of the few proper carparts shops here and they happen to sell 6v golf cart batteries. I wanted to stay away from marine deep cycle.
      Shipping batteries from the US will cost me a fortune, with the duty included.

Comment

Originally posted by bahamasolarnoob View Post
        It says 20 hour cap 230/215. (You will see part number G110-12 on page 3)
        So is this good for a beginner? I dont understand why the two numbers for the 20 hr cap.
        Will be a good beginner battery. Dekka makes good batteries. There are not two numbers, you are looking at two different batteries:
        G110-12 is 230 AH
        G92-12 is 215 AH

Point of reference the T-105 is 225 AH at 20 hour rate.

I am starting with 2x145 panels, adding 2 more in the summer.
        Assuming you will use a MPPT controller with these two batteries you do not want to go above 400 watts to charge them. If you have not pulled the trigger yet I recommend you use 200 Grid Tied panels and a MPPT Controller. Will make life much easier with Expansions using panels that are 200 watts GT. Grid Tied panels are less expensive than battery panels. Trust me. Look at any MPPT controller, 200 watts is the common denominator. Actually 215 is the sweat spot.

I hear you about the Taxes in the Bahamas, dam Brits. Perhaps you will get lucky someday and the USA will invade and Annex the islands and throw the Brits off. Dang you are only 150 miles off the US coast. Its a 20 minute flight or a 6 hour boat ride.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Forgot to ask. Are you in Nassau? I will be there for 5 days starting Sunday April 21 and coming home Thursday April 25th. Going on a working vaction to work with a client and play some golf. Staying at Atlantis.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Forgot to ask. Are you in Nassau? I will be there for 5 days starting Sunday April 21 and coming home Thursday April 25th. Going on a working vaction to work with a client and play some golf. Staying at Atlantis.
            No I am on Grand Bahama Island. Yes I was thinking a 60 amp morning star mppt charger and a 2500 pure sine wave inverter.

Atlantis is a beautiful resort!

Comment

All I want is my 3 bedroom ceiling fans on it and my fridge, and my washing machine ocasionally.
              No airconditioning. I already have a propane waterheater and propane stove.
              I want my bank to be 4 x 6v batteries by this winter. This year 4x145 dmsolar panels. Next year 4 more.

Do you think because we have such a pletera of sunshine here, my house is fully exposed, I can get away with a xantrex c60 PWM for now?
              Or should I stop being a pussy and just get the 60a MPPT one time and done.

Comment

Yes to the last line
                NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown View Post
                  Yes to the last line
                  hahaha .. ok.

Comment

Do you think because we have such a pletera of sunshine here, my house is fully exposed, I can get away with a xantrex c60 PWM for now?
                    Do not even think about a PWM controller. PWM is for toys like a dildo.

Here is the deal. To get the full 60 amps out of a PWM Charge controller you have to use very expensive battery panels to the tune of 1100 watts. Battery panels will cost you around $3/watt. If you use less expensive Grid tied panels at around $1 to $2/watt all it takes is 700 to 800 watts to get the same 60 amps. Run that equation through the protein calculator. Otherwise use a calculator made from sand if you lack a protein calculator. Let the girls charge their toys with PWM. Men use MPPT.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Do not even think about a PWM controller. PWM is for toys like a dildo.

Here is the deal. To get the full 60 amps out of a PWM Charge controller you have to use very expensive battery panels to the tune of 1100 watts. Battery panels will cost you around $3/watt. If you use less expensive Grid tied panels at around $1 to $2/watt all it takes is 700 to 800 watts to get the same 60 amps. Run that equation through the protein calculator. Otherwise use a calculator made from sand if you lack a protein calculator. Let the girls charge their toys with PWM. Men use MPPT.
                      Ok clear enough. Just checking.

Comment

Yes I was thinking a 60 amp morning star mppt charger and a 2500 pure sine wave inverter.
                        A 2500W inverter on a 12V system might be a bit much. That would be a huge draw ~ 200A (I assume that you're going with 12V - you said you wanted 2 x 6V GC2)

Comment

Originally posted by Rybren View Post
                          A 2500W inverter on a 12V system might be a bit much. That would be a huge draw ~ 200A (I assume that you're going with 12V - you said you wanted 2 x 6V GC2)
                          Ok, I am planning on buying 2 more by the end of the year. You suggest that I wait until I have all 4 batteries before I hook it up? I was hoping to start with 2x285 v panels and 2 6v batteries this summer. Yes a 12 volt system for now. Not good? Does it need to be 24v? My electrician who is tinkering with solar told me to keep it 12 v for now. All input is welcomed.
                          Thanks.

Comment

My electrician who is tinkering with solar told me to keep it 12 v for now. All input is welcomed.
                            Need to find a different Electrician, one who knows something.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

Need to find a different Electrician, one who knows something.
                              Yeah, I noticed I know way more stuff than him and thats just from reading this and other forums and watching countless youtube videos!

Comment

Working...
                              X