Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cbird02
    • Jun 2021

Setting up charging station for mobile battery use

I added a panel and charge controller to my RV that is dedicated to charging a few batteries that I use remotely(trolling and battery box used to work on laptop remotely away from RV). I wired the panel on top of the RV and wires down to a compartment that houses the charge controller. My issue is - considering that you are always supposed to hook up 1) Battery, then 2) Solar panels, how do I do that when I am hooking and unhooking the battery each day? I do not want to remove he wires from the charge controller twice a day. Thanks in advance.

Craig
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Charge Controllers can easily be damaged, if connected to solar panels and no battery.

You can use a switch or circuit breaker on the PV input to the Controller to easily disconnect the PV before changing batteries,
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• cbird02
      • Jun 2021

Excellent this is exactly what I was thinking. Does this look good? I realized after making the diagram that I would wire the negatives to the two position switch also.
      PV.png
      Last edited by cbird02; 06-08-2021, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• cbird02
        • Jun 2021

Like this PV2.PNG

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

you don't need to switch the battery minus leads

Battery 1 will always be charging from Charge Controller (CC)

When low battery #2 is connected, battery #1 will dump all possible amps into battery #2, in an attempt to equalize the voltages. The high amps could damage both batteries & the wires
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• cbird02
            • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Mike90250
            you don't need to switch the battery minus leads
            Cool that is how I drew it up first, glad to have confirmation

Battery 1 will always be charging from Charge Controller (CC)
            Yes, this was my intention

When low battery #2 is connected, battery #1 will dump all possible amps into battery #2, in an attempt to equalize the voltages. The high amps could damage both batteries & the wires
            My design takes care if this. When the two position switch is on Battery #2, it disconnects from Battery #1. String #1 CC only sends power to Battery #2 and the wires from Battery #1 dead end at switch. This is an either/OR design, String #1 is either sending power to Batt #1 or Batt #2, the switch has no "1&2" option. In pic below the battery would be the charge controller and the bulbs are Batt #1/#2

DPDT wiring.JPG

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by cbird02

Cool that is how I drew it up first, glad to have confirmation

Yes, this was my intention

My design takes care if this. When the two position switch is on Battery #2, it disconnects from Battery #1. String #1 CC only sends power to Battery #2 and the wires from Battery #1 dead end at switch. This is an either/OR design, String #1 is either sending power to Batt #1 or Batt #2, the switch has no "1&2" option. In pic below the battery would be the charge controller and the bulbs are Batt #1/#2

DPDT wiring.JPG
              My only concern is that the contacts on that "switch" are rated with enough amps to handle the loads and can be switch under load if the need arises. Remember DC voltage creates Arches when a circuit is opened under load.

Comment

• cbird02
                • Jun 2021

Both switches are rated for 20a and I am using 10awg wire. What do you suggest for fuse sizes in that case?

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Both switches are rated for 20a and I am using 10awg wire. What do you suggest for fuse sizes in that case?
                  I would look into a fuse rated less then the switch rating. While this should protect you it may cause the fuse to blow if you exceed it's amp rating.

Comment

• cbird02
                    • Jun 2021

Originally posted by SunEagle

I would look into a fuse rated less then the switch rating. While this should protect you it may cause the fuse to blow if you exceed it's amp rating.
                    Sounds good, I was thinking that I would do a 15 amp fuse. I only have a 9 amp solar panel and don't have any room on my roof for any more panels so no expansion concerns. Thanks

Comment

• cbird02
                      • Jun 2021

Couple items came up from same post in FB group. # Is there an issue with detaching the panel (via a continuously connected switch) while sun is on the panel. Keep in mind it is one 9amp panel, not a huge array. I have only read about arcing potential, but in this case the connection is within the ON OFF switch

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Couple items came up from same post in FB group. # Is there an issue with detaching the panel (via a continuously connected switch) while sun is on the panel. Keep in mind it is one 9amp panel, not a huge array. I have only read about arcing potential, but in this case the connection is within the ON OFF switch
                        while the amps may be low it is the voltage level that will determine the length of the arc. That switch may handle a few changes but the contacts will pit and deform each time there is an arc.

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

How long does it take to fry a charge controller ? Half a second ? 3 minutes ? Your switch is likely a "break before make" so there's going to be a fraction of a second with no battery attached to the controller ? Will it reboot? Fry ? Shut down and hang ?

Comment

• cbird02
                            • Jun 2021

How long does it take to fry a charge controller ? Half a second ? 3 minutes ? Your switch is likely a "break before make" so there's going to be a fraction of a second with no battery attached to the controller ? Will it reboot? Fry ? Shut down and hang ?
                            The order will always be Panel to CC OFF, hook up battery, CC comes on, Panel to CC ON. When removing battery, Panel to CC OFF, Remove Battery, Switch to Battery #1, CC comes on, Panel to CC ON

Comment

• cbird02
                              • Jun 2021

Originally posted by SunEagle

while the amps may be low it is the voltage level that will determine the length of the arc. That switch may handle a few changes but the contacts will pit and deform each time there is an arc.
                              I just realized the switch I ordered is 12V and the panel is 30V, 9A. How about this? I can trip when I remove battery #2 out and reset after Battery #1 is connected I am good with a 30Amp breaker since my CC is rated for 30A and I have 10AWG wire. The battery fuse of course will be smaller 10amp

Breaker.JPG
                              Last edited by cbird02; 06-09-2021, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Working...