Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Originally posted by GeorgeF
    Cansno, how would you add batteries to an already used battery-bank?
    You don't. New batteries will be quickly degraded to the level of the existing batteries. Best to just wait till they fail, and then replace with a proper size bank. Solar is not for folks with a tight budget and unrealistic expectations.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• cansno
      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250

You don't. New batteries will be quickly degraded to the level of the existing batteries. Best to just wait till they fail, and then replace with a proper size bank. Solar is not for folks with a tight budget and unrealistic expectations.
      I realize that totally. That's why I said in my post, to add if existing ones are in good shape. I added an extra bank to mine a year after system install. After a month or so, all balance out to 1.265+. Except for the hickup we talked about in our other post (which was my fault), they appear to be on the way back again.
      Last edited by cansno; 12-07-2020, 08:07 PM.
      NL

Comment

• Gforce686
        • Dec 2020

12 volts 3 panels (100 W’s each )In parallel .This will give me 12V @300 W connected to a 40A EPEVER Tracer AN Series charger controller and also I will do another 12 volts 3 panels (100 W’s each )In parallel . To a second 40A EPEVER Tracer AN Series charger controller. Both controllers will be connected to the same battery banks . The reason I am doing this If needed I will be able to add another 200w if needed. Also there should be less stress on the controllers by using 2 controllers than 1 80 A controller and if one fails the other will still work even if it is half the charging temporary

Comment

• AndrewCoates
          • May 2020

I purchased two Renogy 100 watt panels to charge a Goal Zero Yeti 1000 solar generator. So far it appears that we will be able to run the freezer by charging during the day and running the generator at night
          Last edited by AndrewCoates; 12-17-2020, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by AndrewCoates
            I purchased two Renogy 100 watt panels to charge a Goal Zero Yeti 1000 solar generator. So far it appears that we will be able to run the freezer by charging during the day and running the generator at night
            So I am curious about the battery Ah rating in the Yeti system. With 2 100 watt panels you may only get about 10 charging amps which would be ok for a battery between 80Ah & 120Ah.

Less than 80Ah might cook the battery and more than 120Ah may not properly charge it.
            Last edited by SunEagle; 12-10-2020, 10:25 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

• Gforce686
              • Dec 2020

Hi I am a new to forums and this site. Can anybody help me get started . I would like to post a question. I assume post Reply would mean to reply to someone post. . I see the original post is in grey shade and the reply is in white . Is this correct.

Comment

• cansno
                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Gforce686
                Hi I am a new to forums and this site. Can anybody help me get started . I would like to post a question. I assume post Reply would mean to reply to someone post. . I see the original post is in grey shade and the reply is in white . Is this correct.
                I found it a bit confusing at first also. To post a question, click on forum(top left) and then choose a category that suits your question in the blue links. Select category and you will see New Topic.
                NL

Comment

• Gforce686
                  • Dec 2020

Thanks I will give it a try

Comment

• Gforce686
                    • Dec 2020

Thanks Cansno

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

NewTopic.jpg
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• GeorgeF
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Nov 2018

Originally posted by SunEagle

So I am curious about the battery Ah rating in the Yeti system. With 2 100 watt panels you may only get about 10 charging amps which would be ok for a battery between 80Ah & 120Ah.

Less than 80Ah might cook the battery and more than 120Ah may not properly charge it.
                        From an internet ad of a local supplier here.

200Wp panel running a freezer 24/7 365 days a year with less than 100Ah battery (1045Wh total energy )...wow...

sounds really fantastic

Attached Files

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

Buy it and try it out ! it might work under perfect conditions, but in real life, I suspect it will fail 99 times out of 100 random installs

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by GeorgeF

From an internet ad of a local supplier here.

200Wp panel running a freezer 24/7 365 days a year with less than 100Ah battery (1045Wh total energy )...wow...

sounds really fantastic
                            I would say that falls under the "fantastic" area. I seriously doubt 200 watts will run a freezer and a 100Ah battery will be quickly drained before the night is over.

If the freezer is very efficient and the inverter can handle the starting requirements of the compressor motor you might be ok but most freezers need a lot more than what you propose to run it 24/7 365 days a year.

Comment

• GeorgeF
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Nov 2018

Originally posted by AndrewCoates
                              How long ago did you purchase Yeti 1000 and runs a freezer with it ??

Comment

• LawrenceP
                                • Nov 2020

Hey guys, can you point me to the correct type of fuse to install between the battery and inverter and would i need one between the inverter and load? Thanks.

Comment

Working...