Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions sought on panel charge controller.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick update.

As you may recall I had already ordered a basic MPPT before being warned about the fake units. It was recently fitted just to the 1 panel and two batteries that are in parallel via a VSR. The good thing about the unit is it is a similar size to the PWM it replaces, and this suits the limited space on the power distribution panel in the rear if my car.

Now the rub, everyyhing seems to be working ok howevet, given @Raul's warning about fake MPPT units, how can I confirm this is indeed a MPPT unit and not a repackaged PWM?

Many thanks.

Comment

Post the model # and photos, for starters.

You should see stats allowing a max Voc. of at least 100 volts. Connect your panels and note current coming into the controller and current out, to the batteries. You should see a considerably higher current coming out compared to what's coming into the controller. Most MPPT controllers are much heavier than pwm due to , amoung other things the large copper coil(s) it contains. They are usually much thicker than cheap PWM controllers because they have said coil inside.
      Anyway pics and model/brand will probably get you an answer the quickest.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Hi and thanks for the quick reply, this is identical to the one I purchased.

For purposes of convenience it was purchased as it would fit in place of the original PWM unit, no need to change cables ect.

As mentioned earlier, it is working fine in as far as it charges my batteries however, I am unsure if I have simply replaced my PWM with another in a different colour box?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-30A-M...edirect=mobile

Many thanks

Comment

Most definitely a cheap PWM controller. It's amazing how blatant these sellers are when it comes to lying about these controllers. This is actually the bottom of the barrel when it comes to cheap PWM controllers. I don't know the exchange rates but in US dollars I wouldn't expect to pay any less than $120.00 USD for the cheapest MPPT controller.
          This is a good basic MPPT controller, EP Ever MPPT charge controller.jpg

This is another blatant fake, Fake MPPT controller..jpg

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to post up. I think I may have to redesign the board in the car, damn!

How would you know if it is a fake unit though for example, you look on the internet and and came across the lower one in your post and it was for sale @ $120.00, what would make you think it was fake, how do you tell?
            Last edited by DMH; 03-20-2019, 09:40 AM.

Comment

The white one I actually bought to prove to myself it was fake. It IS a decent PWM controller.

You need to look in the stats for a Max. Voc. rating of 100 volts or more across the board for all 12/24 volt systems. Better controllers will do 48 volt systems and generally will take up to 150 Voc.
              I'm surprised to see that lower one for that much. I paid around $35 USD for it.
              Without that stat in the description they are hiding the fact that it's fake. Here is the fake one for 23 to 40 dollars 10 amp and 30 amp respectively.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-10A-20A...00ORzcx2pYzQow
              Last edited by littleharbor; 03-20-2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

DMH
                Victron does one smaller in size the one you linked. Its the 75/15 model, that I personally use for outdoor lighting. It had the function dusk to down and dimming with a delay to. The next one up 100/20 is about 1/2" larger.
                There is also outback smart harvest at 20A,
                Also the difference in pwm and mppt the most obvious:
                MPPT- WATT in WATT out
                PWM-AMP in AMP out, regardless of your panel producing 18-30v , it will only harvest at batt. voltage x max panel amp.

Comment

Thanks all, I am now looking at the Victron 75/15 you mention Raul or perhaps the 75/10 unit, and to make sure they fit I have dismantled the distribution board in my car and now I am building a complete new one. I will also look at the outback harvest unit. Just a thought, as my two panels are rated peak power current 4.45 amps and short circuit 4.75 amps, they will be wired in parallel so if I chose the Victron 75/10 my power handling is covered however, is there any mileage going to the 75/15 unit, I am thinking longevity ect?

Many thanks

Comment

A quick update, I am going to make my controller purchase next week, I am still a little strung between the 10 amp unit and the 15 amp version. Obviously the 10 amp unit appears to cover the input from my 2 x 4.45 amp panels, and given no answers to my previous question, I assume there are no longevity issues with the Victron unit? As an after thought, has anyone any experience with the Victron version that has Bluetooth capability? I am thinking for my usage that it may be just a gimmick I don't need, perhaps worth an extra point in the bar chat session?

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DMH View Post
                      Thanks for the reply and information. A basic MPPT to cover 20 amps is only around 20 euros,
                      BS. Who told you that? A good 20 Am MPPT Controller will cost $200 USD or 178 Euro. What you are quoting is good ole Chi-Com POS fraud equipment. No wonder BRICK is falling apart.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                        BS. Who told you that? A good 20 Am MPPT Controller will cost $200 USD or 178 Euro. What you are quoting is good ole Chi-Com POS fraud equipment. No wonder BRICK is falling apart.

Yep I gathered that earlier, hence the question about purchasing the Victron unit advised earlier, I hope a forum member can answer question.

Many thanks

Dave

Comment

In the absence of any further replies, I have ordered the Victron MPPT controller model 75/15.

I am sure this will meet with experienced forum members approval.

I did look at the lower priced EPever models but their size could not be accomodated, the Victron unit can just be squeezed in.

Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X