Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Suprasoup
    • Oct 2017

Panels I can sleep on.

Solar sexy gurus a while back I installed two 320w panels on the top of my Zombie Apocalypse Trailer. The system itself has performed brilliantly and I have no complaints. However I do miss being able to hop onto the top of my trailer for some stargazing and open air camping. I have thought of using glass to glass solar panels on a rigid frame. Thoughts? Or should I give up and console myself with a margarita?

Pic of the ZAT! roofAEDB444D-B228-44D0-94F2-14950D2018A0.jpeg
  • sdold
    • Jun 2014

You mean another margarita?

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Margaritas, Vodka, Scotch, Bourbon or just about any other alcoholic drink sounds better then laying on a glass panel.

Comment

• Suprasoup
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by sdold
        You mean another margarita?
        Damn. How did you know?

Comment

• JSchnee21
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2017

Well, you could weld two vertical poles (or brackets for said poles) and then string a hammock across the top at night time.

Comment

• Suprasoup
            • Oct 2017

Well in a fit of madness I have decided to do a mini experiment on my Landcruiser. I will be installing 2 glass to glass panels on the roof rack. Any takers as to how long they will last before they crumble to dust? They do look nice and svelte.
            B46965F0-F815-4D96-A7A2-34B5A8C5E4BE.jpeg811562BD-A642-45E3-AF32-F4ACFA3C3AE8.jpeg
            Also any thoughts on the adhesive to bond it to the roof rack? 3M VHB or good ole liquid nails?
            Last edited by Suprasoup; 09-20-2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• sdold
              • Jun 2014

If you glue them on, they may separate at some point and end up on the road or in someone's windshield. Is that how you installed them on the trailer? I think you should stop these experiments before you cause an accident or death.

Comment

• jflorey2
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Suprasoup
                Also any thoughts on the adhesive to bond it to the roof rack? 3M VHB or good ole liquid nails?
                The appropriate mounting hardware (several companies make frameless mount solutions.)

Comment

• Suprasoup
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by sdold
                  If you glue them on, they may separate at some point and end up on the road or in someone's windshield. Is that how you installed them on the trailer? I think you should stop these experiments before you cause an accident or death.
                  The framed panels on my trailer are bolted and glued onto a 2x4 frame that are themselves bolted and glued onto the roof of my trailer. Both are center braced as they are commercial sized panels. IMO significantly stronger and safer than those running around with just a couple of L brackets on the corners of their panels that are glued/sometimes bolted onto the roofs of RV or cars. I appreciate your concern over safety I really do. I've seen enough tilted solar panels come flying off RVs to understand the danger.

Short of welding the framed panels directly to my trailer (I can weld steel but I am not proficient enough with aluminum) I'm not sure I can make it safer. I'd love a critique.

Comment

• Suprasoup
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by jflorey2
                    The appropriate mounting hardware (several companies make frameless mount solutions.)
                    Indeed. Ive looked at the instructions for installation of the frameless panels I have. And like most its just 4 cushioned clamps on the edges that hold the panel above the rails. I could be wrong but it seems like using VHB or an appropriate adhesive to bond the panel to several of the rails (solar panel spans 4 rails of the roof rack) would be stronger as the load is spread out over a larger area than just 4 corners. And since this is a mobile install the manufacturer recommendations kinda go out the window.

You and Sdold have got me thinking how best to approach this problem. Its easy enough to acquire the clamps and mount them onto the roof rack. Nor am I opposed to just using some framed panels and bolting them on as well. Appreciate the comments. Keep them coming

Comment

• littleharbor
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2016

Bonding dissimilar materials like wood, glass and metal can cause a problem with thermal expansion and contraction. In a different scenario I ruined a semi valuable piece of artwork when the mirror and wood frame it was mounted to were all bonded together. The next day the mirrors glass was cracked. I'm not saying this would happen to your panels but I believe you need to allow for expansion and contraction of the glass.
                      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• jflorey2
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2015

Indeed. Ive looked at the instructions for installation of the frameless panels I have. And like most its just 4 cushioned clamps on the edges that hold the panel above the rails. I could be wrong but it seems like using VHB or an appropriate adhesive to bond the panel to several of the rails (solar panel spans 4 rails of the roof rack) would be stronger as the load is spread out over a larger area than just 4 corners. And since this is a mobile install the manufacturer recommendations kinda go out the window.
                        Well except manufacturers do actually know their products pretty well and will often specify a mounting method that works best (and is tested.)

If you are really concerned, perhaps lay it on a porous or drainable flat surface AND use the clamps. Then you get protection against downward force (i.e. if you sleep on it) and you'll get the positive retention of the clips. Keep in mind that those mounting systems are designed to withstand hurricanes; it is likely that your installation will see less peak wind speed.

Comment

• Suprasoup
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by jflorey2
                          Well except manufacturers do actually know their products pretty well and will often specify a mounting method that works best (and is tested.)

If you are really concerned, perhaps lay it on a porous or drainable flat surface AND use the clamps. Then you get protection against downward force (i.e. if you sleep on it) and you'll get the positive retention of the clips. Keep in mind that those mounting systems are designed to withstand hurricanes; it is likely that your installation will see less peak wind speed.
                          Thx Jflorey2,

You are correct. Ill stick with the manufacturers recommended mounting system. Once mounted I think Ill run some straps across the top initially and thrash around in the arroyos we have here to test it. If the mounts fail for whatever reason the straps will keep it from flying off the roof rack. Ive got the same panel spanned across a 2x4 frame with a plywood base hooked up to a charge controller and battery for mock up purposes. Ill make it a point to walk repeatedly across it and see how it holds up over time. If it cracks oh well Im out a panel.

Thanks again for everyones input. Sometimes my stupid astounds even me.
                          Last edited by Suprasoup; 09-21-2018, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
                            • May 2009

Those straps will block sunlight during your torture test.
                            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• jflorey2
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2015

You are correct. Ill stick with the manufacturers recommended mounting system. Once mounted I think Ill run some straps across the top initially and thrash around in the arroyos we have here to test it. If the mounts fail for whatever reason the straps will keep it from flying off the roof rack.
                              You might consider something like 500 lb Vectran or 325 lb HMA instead of straps. (It's like rope but very, very thin.) Depending on your panel's layout, you could probably position it so it either blocks none or very little of the sun to a specific row of cells.

Comment

Working...