Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do PWM really last much longer than MPPT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do PWM really last much longer than MPPT?

I'm intetested in my system being as long lasting as possible, like 15years average. To me if they cant last that long its junk as life is too short to have to replace stuff. Only use it a dozen times a year. Read some stuff that PWM last longer being more simple. Mppt like morning star, outback which are said to be top brands look to have only 5year warranty. I guess it depends on how hard the units are pushed and the conditions. I have a victron mppt but now i wonder if i should replace with a plasmatronics or morningstar pwm. I bet the victron range wont exist when it finally dies.

Depends on what you are buying. Outback or Midnite? Will probably last decades. Victron? Not as long. Some deal you saw on Alibaba? You'll be lucky if it lasts a year.

Comment

It comes down to "you'll get what you paid for". So IMO a cheaper PWM will probably not last as long as a quality MPPT

Comment

And vice versa. Xantrex and Morningstar PWM controllers will last decades while some of those low buck MPPT controllers might not last 6 months.
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

The value in MPPT is that you get more energy from your panels by using one. Even if you had to replace it twice as often as a PWM you're going to come out ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
            And vice versa. Xantrex and Morningstar PWM controllers will last decades while some of those low buck MPPT controllers might not last 6 months.
            That is a huge time good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
              Depends on what you are buying. Outback or Midnite? Will probably last decades. Victron? Not as long. Some deal you saw on Alibaba? You'll be lucky if it lasts a year.
              Not sure what you mean by some deal on alibaba? And lasting one year. I brought a victron elsewhere.

But in my case its more calander life over sheer hours of operation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
                Not sure what you mean by some deal on alibaba? And lasting one year. I brought a victron elsewhere.
                But in my case its more calander life over sheer hours of operation.
                Alibaba is a common site where cheap Chinese products are advertised.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post

Alibaba is a common site where cheap Chinese products are advertised.
                  You forgot to mention that not only are those products cheap but they usually come with a lot of false claims on their performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
                    Not sure what you mean by some deal on alibaba?
                    You do not know what Alibaba is? It is Chi-Com E-bay selling cheap fake copycat counterfeit Chi-Com junk.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                      You forgot to mention that not only are those products cheap but they usually come with a lot of false claims on their performance.
                      Good point. Two that I've seen have been an "MPPT" controller that was just a PWM with a new label, and an "inverter" based window A/C that turned out to be just an off-the-shelf Haier A/C.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                        You do not know what Alibaba is? It is Chi-Com E-bay selling cheap fake copycat counterfeit Chi-Com junk.
                        I have heard of it & by the looks it's not a place I would ever go for anything serious.

Comment

A true statement of reality or not, new and possibly impending tariffs may make all that a moot point.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

A true statement of reality or not, new and possibly impending tariffs may make all that a moot point.
                            I am not worried about the Tariffs. Chi-Com monetary system and economics are extremely weak and cannot last long. USA USD and economy is extremely strong and will win that battle easily. Chump knows what he is doing and the USA has a lot of leverage to bring Chi-Coms and any other country to the negotiating tables to level the playing field on trade. They need us a lot more than we need them.

US voted for Chief Disrupter, not a Saint or Angel to shake things up and bring about change real darn quick. You just gotta see through and get past the Rhetoric. Emigration is another great example, and now both houses are finally going to do something about policy after 26 years of doing nothing.

MSEE, PE

Comment

I am not worried about the Tariffs. Chi-Com monetary system and economics are extremely weak and cannot last long. USA USD and economy is extremely strong and will win that battle easily.
                              I've been hearing that for 30 years. And every year the Chinese economy gets stronger.
                              Chump knows what he is doing . . . .
                              Yep, which is good for him. Unfortunately for us, bankrupting the US while getting a few billion in patronage payments is a good outcome for him; his one true expertise is bankrupting companies while profiting.

Comment

Working...
                              X