No announcement yet.

Ideas with some hypothetical numbers for extended boon docking in RV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for your response, the Lifeline battery that you found has eluded my initial searches!

Originally posted by NEOH View Post
    Treejohnny

-I have been looking at these and I believe I would need 4 of these to get 300ah useable.
    2 x Crown AGM 6 Volt 390 AH in series
    https://www.wholesalesolar.com/99601...6v-l16-battery

-Same issue here, I would need 4
    2 x Trojan 6 Volt L16-AGM 370AH in series
    http://www.trojanbattery.com/product/reliant-l16-agm/

This is probably the closest fit to what I believe my application will be. It looks like I can get 6 of these for same price as 4 of the Crown L16's. So it would be 780AH in Crown vs 630AH in Lifeline.
    6 x 2 Volt Lifeline AGM 630AH in series
    http://lifelinebatteries.com/product...es/gpl-31t-2v/

Comment

I am leaning towards Victron inverter, solar charger and battery monitor because it looks like it will be the easiest to monitor - maintain long term.
      My second choice would be magnum inverter, Morningstar solar charger and triminic battery monitor.
      Is there any experience that you have that might help me make best decision for me the first time?

With this size system and mounting panels on the roof I am liking the 60/72 cell solar panels.
      Should I expect extra hardware holding the panels in place while driving?
      Is it worth the extra brackets for less panels and higher voltage/smaller wire?
      Last edited by Treejohnny; 10-21-2017, 02:54 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

This seems to be a huge undertaking trying to plan out the entire solar system!
        This has even progressed as far as trying to see if manufacturer will offset air conditioner units so that I can fit a strip of 40" solar panels along passenger side of roof from front to rear.

All of this to be able to have 200-300ah of usage per day. Am I making this harder than it should be or is this to be expected with solar in an RV trailer?

Comment

Originally posted by Treejohnny View Post
          This seems to be a huge undertaking trying to plan out the entire solar system!
          This has even progressed as far as trying to see if manufacturer will offset air conditioner units so that I can fit a strip of 40" solar panels along passenger side of roof from front to rear.

All of this to be able to have 200-300ah of usage per day. Am I making this harder than it should be or is this to be expected with solar in an RV trailer?
          You're probably not making this harder than it should be. It just isn't as simple as you thought it would be.

Comment

Victron offers 5 year warranty. Unless something on that has changed. Great customer service. And tons of quality offerings.

Comment

Ok, time for an update.

I have the bigger truck, the trailer should arrive first part of March! There was a mixup with pricing and it is cheaper to arrange the panels around roof obstacles.

I have decided on Victron 3000 multiplus hybrid inverter, Victron Venus GX system programer, other Victron stuff like battery monitor, MPPT solar charger and temps sensors and what not. I am aiming for 1500 watts of solar, and Honda 2000 genset for bad days.

So the parts that I am looking for help with are the battery system and mounting the solar panels on the roof.

I am leaning towards 24 volt system with a 70amp 24 to 12 volt converter. The batteries will be located below the kitchen sink and will probably be Lifeline. It will depend on the exact dimensions of the available space, either 2-12 volt batteries or 4-6 volt batteries. Does anyone know of issues with this?

The solar panels will be mounted just above the roof suspended from the edges of the trailer. I have seen some extrusions that might be good to support the 8.5' span and some that might be good to mount the panels to, but I am looking for anyone with actual experience with this stuff?

Comment

Go with the 4, 6V batteries. Series batteries have no wiring deficiencies. Parallel batteries are difficult.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I agree, I am not planning on Parallel wiring, I am planning on a 24 volt system.

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post
                    you came here more prepared than others

If I understand your table correctly both columns AC watts and DC Watts actually mean Watt-hours so your loads demand 1196 + 1334 = 2530 Wh of energy per day. Now if you take 12V 221Ah battery it would have 12 x 221 = 2652 Wh stored. 'Dc amps' line actually means Ah required from 12V battery. So far so good except AGM is probably poor choice for your application due to costs but they will be less messy for sure.

What is your life worth?

Long ago, I was a pilot and light aircraft owner. Not being independently wealthy, I did almost all my own maintenance (supervised, of course) and whenever I balked at coughing up for an expensive part, Doug (The IA who signed my work off in the log) would ask me the same thing: "What the f... is your life worth?" I ask the same question.

Lead-acid batteries, sealed or not, generate explosive gases as well as electricity. I am not interested in sleeping above an explosive gas chamber, so I will eschew lead-acid batteries.

Lithium iron (LifePo4) makes great storage batteries. You can even build your own!!! They still require a BMS (I'm still swimming in that particularly muddy creek) But other than cold-weather applications, I cannot see using anything else. Not telling anyone what to do (as if I could) but providing a different. POV. Not hatin', just sayin'.
                    Last edited by Old_Man; 02-14-2018, 02:43 AM.

Comment

I believe max2K meant that My choice of AGM will cost more than flooded lead acid.

Do you believe that lithium is safer than lead acid?

The reason why I ruled out lithium was the added $5000 cost and the expected term of this project being 1-3 years.

My batteries be in different room than the bedroom, even though I am not sure of the benefits.

Comment

Lead Acid batteries are in common use, and much well respected gear exists to be able to charge and use them safely
                        Following a few ventilation precautions, jsut about completely eliminates explosion worries.

Lithium batteries are newer, little gear exists to reliably use (charging and discharging) them, and they are prone to catch fire and burn uncontrollably.
                        LFP versions of Li batteries are less prone to spontaneously self ignite, and no Li batteries are allowed in baggage compartments of airlines, SLA batteries are allowed.

There are many benefits to Li batteries, but I believe they are not ready for mainstream use yet. 2 or 3 more years might do it.

I would not sleep in a room with, or adjoining, a Li battery bank, I've personally seen 2 burned out shells of commercial Li household battery banks.
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Treejohnny View Post
                          I believe max2K meant that My choice of AGM will cost more than flooded lead acid.

Do you believe that lithium is safer than lead acid?

The reason why I ruled out lithium was the added $5000 cost and the expected term of this project being 1-3 years.

My batteries be in different room than the bedroom, even though I am not sure of the benefits.
                          1. AGM costs more than Trojans, yes (who named a battery after a rubber, anyway?) but I believe they suffer from the same drawback as any other lead-acid battery. Can't use much of the charge and what you do get createss explosive gases in your rig.

2. Lithium Iron Phosphate (LifePO4) is unlike the exploding phone and laptop batteries. It's stable. Lithium's detractors are legion and with the exception of very cold weather, there is no reason to use lead acid. I think lead-acid batteries should be banned as house batteries for RVs. They're dangerous, dirty, toxic and give a crappy ROI. I have no use for a lead-acid battery outside the starter battery for the engine. Antiquated, dangerous things.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                            Lead Acid batteries are in common use, and much well respected gear exists to be able to charge and use them safely
                            Following a few ventilation precautions, jsut about completely eliminates explosion worries.

Lithium batteries are newer, little gear exists to reliably use (charging and discharging) them, and they are prone to catch fire and burn uncontrollably.
                            LFP versions of Li batteries are less prone to spontaneously self ignite, and no Li batteries are allowed in baggage compartments of airlines, SLA batteries are allowed.

There are many benefits to Li batteries, but I believe they are not ready for mainstream use yet. 2 or 3 more years might do it.

I would not sleep in a room with, or adjoining, a Li battery bank, I've personally seen 2 burned out shells of commercial Li household battery banks.
                            You are wrong. You didn't see LifeP04 batteries do that. Catch up, man, the technology is a lot more stable. #smh

Comment

Originally posted by Old_Man View Post

You are wrong. You didn't see LifeP04 batteries do that. Catch up, man, the technology is a lot more stable. #smh
                              While LifeP04 may not have created large fires and are more stable then LiPo's the documentation I got with the ones I use with my RC transmitter suggested caution and to use a thermal bag when I charge them. To me that warning suggests there is still the potential for them to create a fire.

Comment

Catch up, man, the technology is a lot more stable.
                                Old_Man, i'm afraid you are in the position of having to justify where your "expertise" on LFP comes from. You are telling one of the most helpful, knowledgeable, and safety-oriented members of this forum (and a mod, no less) that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Why don't you tell us about /your/ LFP bank?

Do you drive a car? Because i hear they have these explosive batteries located in a hot compartment full of fuel and fire...

- Jerud
                                ------------------------------------------------------------
                                1220W array / 1000Ah LFP house bank
                                MidniteSolar Classic, Magnum MS2812
                                ME-RC, Trimetric, and JLD404
                                2001 Fleetwood Prowler 5th wheel 25 foot, self-rebuilt
                                Full-time 100% electric boondocking (no propane, no genny) since 2015
                                www.livesmallridefree.com

Comment

Working...
                                X