Lightning grounding issues

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Denam
    • Oct 2016

Just as a follow-up, the Powerwerx SS-30DV PS can be used as a 4-stage charger (Trickle, Bulk, Peak, & Float) by using a West Mountain Radio PWRgate PG40S.

The PWRgate is designed as a solid-state UPS for AGM or Gel batteries. For Gel batteries, it requires 14.10 volts and for AGM batteries it requires 14.50 volts. The Powerwerx PS comes set from the factory (t least mine did) at 13.82 volts. To make the two units compatible for my AGM battery, I had to set an internal jumper in the PWRgate for AGM use. Then I had to set an internal potentiometer in the Powerwerx PS so it was outputting 14.50 volts.

The PWRgate isolates the PS from the battery. When I have the PS on and the radio is in use, the PS provides the power to the radio. If I lose AC power (or I just don't turn the PS on), the PWRgate gets the power from the battery and sends it to the radio equipment. If the the PS is on and the radio is off, the PS becomes a charger. Apparently you can also charge the battery and run radio equipment at the same time by using a different wiring configuration (see QST Dec 2003 by W1ZR) but I haven't looked into that.

The PWRgate provides a maximum of 10 amps of charge from my 25 amp PS.

Comment

Working...