Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum to Comfortable Setup for stationary off grid caravan

Thank you for considering helping me

The power usage is a laptop max 4 hours, mobile, kindle, lights.

If there is not enough power for the computer for a few days because of overcast conditions that is OK.

I have been looking at a few things on eBay if you are interested.

charge controller - recommended on a recent post
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ECO-WORTH...item487eb9c6d4

Solar panels, fold-able so they fit in my car and just the most watts cause i figure more is better

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GP-12...item257a21d90c
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291007239...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Batteries I think i have too much to learn but looking at this cause lots of amp hours

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130AH-AMP...item5d47b29e33

Hi Tashi -

Slow down, or you'll be throwing your money away on a bunch of E-bay JUNK targeting the impressionable. You can do better locally with higher quality.

Before you spend any money on solar for your laptop and whatever else in the future, you'll want to figure out how much power it uses over time. Get something like this FIRST:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Power-Produ...-Lead/p/MS6119

Probably the best investment one can make up front - knowing your power needs first.

Comment

Thx PNjunction, I will go take a cold shower

I will get one of those, it will be interesting to compare results between eco-mode tweeks and my normal running.
      Till then is there an estimated range of usage? it is a 17inch screen and the power converter says 3.95A so does that mean if I use a dc to dc adapter it will use somewhere in the vicinity or 3.95A an hour?

Toshiba input 100-240V ~ 50-60Hz 1.5A
      output 19V 3.95A
      Last edited by Tashi; 10-07-2015, 09:04 AM. Reason: add detail

Comment

Originally posted by Tashi View Post
        Thx PNjunction, I will go take a cold shower

I will get one of those, it will be interesting to compare results between eco-mode tweeks and my normal running.
        Till then is there an estimated range of usage? it is a 17inch screen and the power converter says 3.95A so does that mean if I use a dc to dc adapter it will use somewhere in the vicinity or 3.95A an hour?

output 19V 3.95A
        You will be fine once you nail down some solid numbers with the power meter, your usage looks to be reasonable and the products you are looking at should be near the correct ballpark, just want to be sure first. As far as controllers go if you end up with a small system such as you are currently looking at, I know of 2 that I believe are cheaper than you one you provided the link for, and possibly far better (at least check them out).
        http://www.outbackpower.com/outback-...rge-controller

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VICTRON-7...item4d384f2ee2

I have a small system at a cabin, and shopped around and found a great deal on one of the Victron's and have been very happy with it, and the new small Outback with their reputation is also a must see in your price range. I have seen both on sale at various places for very attractive prices.

Comment

output 19V 3.95A
          Similar numbers to my gateway laptop, yours should draw somewhere in the 60w-80w range, but laptops vary greatly with the type of usage obviously, the 3.95A is what the adapter has as a maximum output, what the laptop "pulls" will vary with screen brightness, disk usage, etc. 3.95 x 19v x 1hr would be about 75wh which is in the normal range for most laptops.

Comment

thankyou everyone for good info and advice

Comment

Originally posted by LETitROLL View Post
              You will be fine once you nail down some solid numbers with the power meter, your usage looks to be reasonable and the products you are looking at should be near the correct ballpark, just want to be sure first. As far as controllers go if you end up with a small system such as you are currently looking at, I know of 2 that I believe are cheaper than you one you provided the link for, and possibly far better (at least check them out).
              http://www.outbackpower.com/outback-...rge-controller

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VICTRON-7...item4d384f2ee2
              The first will be $280 which is a bit expensive

The second looks good price at $115 but has no LCD Screen? Even real cheap ones have an LCD screen, do you just use a tool to make the measurements for yourself? anyway I was excited about an LCD screen Were will the eco-worthy in the op let me down?

I calculate that I need a shopping list for a 60ah system, can i just give someone my ebay password and fix me up a system that will be reliable for 3 years of constant use for under $1000. I feel I am going to making rash decisions if I see another medium sized paragraph of math

peace and love
              tashi

Comment

The first will be $280 which is a bit expensive

The second looks good price at $115 but has no LCD Screen? Even real cheap ones have an LCD screen, do you just use a tool to make the measurements for yourself? anyway I was excited about an LCD screen Were will the eco-worthy in the op let me down?

I calculate that I need a shopping list for a 60ah system, can i just give someone my ebay password and fix me up a system that will be reliable for 3 years of constant use for under $1000. I feel I am going to making rash decisions if I see another medium sized paragraph of math

peace and love
                tashi
                With this type of portable system and moving around you normally would want a pocket multimeter anyway ($10-15) for voltage and current checks at various different places in the system, with any budget often you must choose between function and looks/features, and for years of use camping I would be cautious of less reputable/proven products. It is not as easy/automatic as some think at first, to keep the lights running at night, day in and day out for months/years, and that is why the more you learn about this stuff the thing that matters most is having it just work reliably, and the most energy into your battery for the dollar.

Comment

Thankyou LETitROLL

I have looked at my local area there is not much choice in suppliers I found Deep Cycle AGM 120ah for $420 and a folding 180w panel for $599 which was not in stock. I have a couple of solar companies in the town i am traveling to lined up to call today so will see were that goes.

I spoke to a solar installer and he said that I couldn't use normal roof panels as they would break if transported frequently, is this true? Do portable panels just have a stronger frame?

Comment

Thankyou LETitROLL

I have looked at my local area there is not much choice in suppliers I found Deep Cycle AGM 120ah for $420 and a folding 180w panel for $599 which was not in stock. I have a couple of solar companies in the town i am traveling to lined up to call today so will see were that goes.

I spoke to a solar installer and he said that I couldn't use normal roof panels as they would break if transported frequently, is this true? Do portable panels just have a stronger frame?
                    Most roof panels now are up in the 200-300w range, so mostly too big for your use, some have nice frames, some don't so I don't think it is a one size fits all answer but anyway those are not fun to move around often.
                    You either need (2) 100w framed panels, or one of the folding setups you are looking at depending on what the best deal you can get is, I just wanted to make sure you checked the other route in case the deals were better.
                    I saw a couple of ads with great prices for pickup only in Melbourne, victoria, I assume you are not going to be anywhere near there, they were close to 1/2 price of what you are looking at.

Comment

I understand that they may not be the best quality but this is how i can afford it. I just want to know if they play well together and that I am not making a huge mistake.

This is designed for 60ah use daily for 3 years and costs $956 AUD

Is this a complete shopping list to get it working? (minus inverter, lights and Dc to Dc converter)
                      Are the T connectors correct for wiring the 2 panels together to stay at 12v?
                      What would be the max length between panels and the controller/battery using this wire?

Controller
                      This is the model sold at Jaycar but $100 cheaper, it also has an LCD which i like
                      http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321538180...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                      Powertech MPPT Solar Regulator Charge Controller 30A 12/24V
                      Features:
                      • Microprocessor controlled MPPT
                      • 3-stage charging
                      • 30A automatic load control with low-voltage disconnect/reconnect
                      • LCD display
                      • Two timers available for programming
                      • Includes temperature sensor for battery charging compensation
                      • Protection against over voltage, reverse connection, short circuit, over current, and over temperature
                      Specifications
                      Max PV array : 360W(12V) or 720W(24V)
                      Battery system voltage : 12VDC or 24VDC
                      Max PV open circuit voltage : 65V
                      Max input current : 30A
                      Rated load current : 30A
                      Ambient temp range : -20ºC - 50ºC
                      Efficiency : 97%
                      Dimensions : 205(L) x 145(W) x 55(H)mm

Battery
                      Pro Power 12V Volt 125AH AGM Deep Cycle
                      http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141674549...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                      Pro Power 12V 125AH AGM Deep Cycle Battery
                      Nominal Voltage 12V
                      Nominal Capacity (20HR) 125.0 AH
                      Dimension Length: 412 ±2mm (16.22 inches)
                      Width: 173 ±2mm (6.81 inches)
                      Container Height: 213 ±2mm (8.38 inches)
                      Total Height (with Terminal): 237 ±2mm (10.75 inches)
                      Approx Weight Approx 32.5 Kg
                      Terminal T11
                      Container Material ABS
                      Rated Capacity 125.0 AH/6.00A (20hr,1.80V/cell,25°C)
                      Max. Discharge Current 1200A (5s)
                      Internal Resistance Approx 4.9mΩ
                      Operating Temp.Range Discharge : -15 ~ 50oC (5 ~ 122oF)
                      Charge : 0 ~ 40oC (32 ~ 104oF )
                      Storage : -15 ~ 40oC (5 ~ 104oF)
                      Nominal Operating Temp. Range 25 ± 3°C (77 ± 5°F )
                      Cycle Use Initial Charging Current less than 30A.
                      Voltage 14.4V~15.0V at 25oC (77o F)
                      Temp. Coefficient -30mV/oC
                      Standby Use No limit on Initial Charging Current
                      Voltage 13.5V~13.8V at 25oC (77o F)
                      Temp. Coefficient -20mV/oC
                      Capacity affected by Temperature 40oC (104oF) 103%
                      25oC ( 77oF ) 100%
                      0oC ( 32oF ) 86%
                      Self Discharge Pro Power Deep Cycle AGM batteries may be stored for up to 6 months at 25oC(77oF) and then a freshening charge is required. For higher temperatures the time interval will be shorter.

Panels
                      I will get two of these and make my own portable stand.
                      12V Solar Panel Mono Portable
                      http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121442230...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                      Specification:

Model: 100Watt Portable Mono Solar Panel
                      Connection Lead length: 1M with MC4
                      Connection Lead Material: PVC Cover
                      Maximum Power: 100Watt
                      VMP: 19V
                      IMP: 5.26A
                      VOC: 23V
                      ISC 5.96A
                      Weight: 8.5KG
                      Dimensions: 1200x540x35(mm)

Connectors
                      MC4 T Branch Solar PV Photovoltaic Connector Pair Male Female Set
                      http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MC4-T-Bra...item339e0bfd4e

Cable
                      6 B&S AWG X 10m TINNED FLAT DUAL TWIN SHEATH BATTERY CABLE MARINE AUTOMOTIVE 12V
                      http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271817188...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Multimeter
                      http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LCD-Digit...item4ad1ee2b01
                      LCD Digital Multimeter, Back ground light, AC DC Voltmeter Ohmmeter Multi Tester
                      The meter is a handheld 3-1/2 digital mutimeter for measuring DC and AC Voltage, DC Current,
                      Resistance, Diode, Transistor test
                      with battery operated.

DC Voltage: 2V / 20V / 200V / 600V
                      AC Voltage: 200V / 600V
                      DC Current: 20µA / 200µ A / 2mA / 20mA / 200mA / 10A
                      Resistance: 200Ω / 2KΩ / 20KΩ / 200KΩ / 2MΩ

Package Included:
                      1 x Digital Multimeter
                      1 x Set of test leads (black+red)
                      1 x Set of test leads with crocodile clips (black+red)
                      1 x Battery

Comment

Most roof panels now are up in the 200-300w range, so mostly too big for your use, some have nice frames, some don't so I don't think it is a one size fits all answer but anyway those are not fun to move around often.
                        You either need (2) 100w framed panels, or one of the folding setups you are looking at depending on what the best deal you can get is, I just wanted to make sure you checked the other route in case the deals were better.
                        I saw a couple of ads with great prices for pickup only in Melbourne, victoria, I assume you are not going to be anywhere near there, they were close to 1/2 price of what you are looking at.
                        Thankyou LetitROLL sounds like a good deal but I will not be near melbourne unfortunately.

Comment

Those panels should be wired in series (you wont need the mc4 combiners) for a 24v system between the panels and the controller, the controller will charge a 12v or 24v battery from that config. (12v in your case). That helps with your wiring also if you stay 10m or under between the panels and the controller and wire the panels in series you could get by fine with 8awg or 10awg which is only about 1% loss (10awg is probably the largest you can connect to the controller without adapters?). The controller and battery should be fairly close to each other and maybe use 8awg on that. The system will work (for a while) but is borderline in a couple of areas, you are looking to use 50% of your battery daily which of course leaves you with no reserve for weather or any other issues, and those panels (which I think are okay in your situation) will only be able to fully recharge that battery (from 50%) on long sunny days in full sun. You need to find the solar isolation for where you are going to be for the worst 2 solar months and multiply that by about 180w (includes loses between panels and batt), that will give you the amount of power you will be able to use/replace each day at best. I am not familiar with that controller but just try and make sure it is genuine MPPT (reviews, youtube, etc) there are some fakes out there. I have bought panels and controllers off ebay before (only 1 ea.) direct from the manufacture (renogy), but I have not and probably would not buy a $300 battery that way, If you know the brand and/or can get very solid info about the seller maybe, but I would be scared to death spending that much on that battery. That is the one thing that should be a little easier to get locally? I would really exhaust all my other options first unless you know something first hand about that one.

Comment

You will need a couple of Mc4 connectors to put on the ends of whatever wire you end up with, if you go 8awg you could run out further away, but it is harder to do all your connections with on both ends. Actually with 10awg @ 36v and 5 amps (2 panels in series) even at 15m the voltage drop is only about 1.50% which is acceptable, just best to keep it short as possible while keeping them in the sun.

Comment

With this type of portable system and moving around you normally would want a pocket multimeter anyway ($10-15) for voltage and current checks.....
                              Yeaaah, but no. The voltmeter is critical, basically the instrument you use to calibrate everything else in your system. Think of it as the stethescope for your heart (charge controller). Go too cheap on either, and your body will suffer.

Shirt-pocket meters are out. Just because they have digital displays doesn't make them suitable for anything but go/no-go on AA batteries.

Spend as much as your budget will allow for the multimeter. You don't have to go overboard, but going cheapskate here just means you can't trust *anything* in your system.

Comment

Working...
                              X