Where can I get solar panel frames for mounting solar cells?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Take a panel (say BP) apart and take the section to anyone that does aluminum extrusion - they can probably copy it at minimum expense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• solarwindal
      • May 2010

Let us know if you find suitable supply. Thanks, Solarwindal

Comment

• Eherst98
        • Oct 2010

Solar panel Frames on ebay..

Hi All
        Well I have seen them listed on ebay and with info on them.
        So you can see what they look like and maybe find something locally.

Yes to why not DIY panels, is the high voltage your worried about or amps..?
        Or they just don't hold up...?
        Ernie

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Originally posted by Eherst98
          Hi All
          Well I have seen them listed on ebay and with info on them.
          So you can see what they look like and maybe find something locally.

Yes to why not DIY panels, is the high voltage your worried about or amps..?
          Or they just don't hold up...?
          Ernie
          3) They are not UL or CE certified/listed, and whatever the completed panel touches, will have it's insurance voided (homeowners, business, whatever), if the fire inspector sees a 200w GT inverter plugged into a wall outlet and a homemade panel(s) connected, there is no insurance coverage, even if the cause was fire ants in the city electrical box.

Any business selling "parts to make a usable frame/panel" is also liable. That includes the scams on fleabay, you will never track them down so they can share in your losses.
          Last edited by Mike90250; 10-12-2010, 10:47 PM.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Jason
            Administrator
            • Dec 2008

Found this place that sells in big quantities

Comment

• RifRaf
              Solar Fanatic
              • Oct 2010

try the junk yards or recycling places, look for glass sliding doors, get untinted ones and they will pretty much all be toughened glass, good stuff will have a label and standard that hard to beat. the frames are A1 and they can fit alot of cells http://rifraf.dyndns.org/solar/21-cells_on_glass.jpg 60 x 6"x6" cells

those frames even have nice handles running the full length to make a very solid mounting.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Sadly, shower doors and patio doors, while a cheap source of tempered glass, are not the low-iron, High transmissive glass, and your panels will be 5-10% below what you expect.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• RifRaf
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Oct 2010

indeed this is true, though for 4mm float glass verses low iron the difference is less than 3% . Low iron has about 91.7% light transmission and float glass about 89%. Quoted from http://www.stegbar.com.au/pdf/data_s...on%20Glass.pdf.

The cost saving is huge though, about $110 per square meter for toughened glass plus freight was the best i could find in AU, then add a solid aluminium frame that is not easy to make anywhere near as strong as a door and you are getting close for $300 for a frame the same size as a door, verses about $40 for a complete used door. spent the savings on proper encapsulant and a few extra cells and have ended up with panels i am proud of.

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

I was not aware the difference between glass was so small. Thanks for the update.

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

That is the object - we all learn from each other.

Russ
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Calgirl
                        • Jul 2009

This guy sells frames and glass...

and he has a great 3 part video on how to build them with his stuff....

affordablesolarframes.com

Good Luck

Comment

• elect41
                          • Feb 2010

Very Helpful!

Thanks for your help,

Very interested in building Diy solar panels.Its something i should do.

Thank YOU

Comment

• Calgirl
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by elect41
                            Elec41..you don't have to buy his stuff....you can buy the aluminum and with a hacksaw, cut your own frames. A few angle brackets, some glass..and you have your own makins'. I'm going to put down a thin sheet of Solar-Tite on the glass, lay the photocells on and then seal the back with a spray Plasti-grip (like the stuff you dip your plier handles in to coat them).
                            That way you can cut down on the price of the Solar-Tite and maybe get three 36 count panels out of one container of the elastomer. The main problem with homemade cells is moisture (corrosion) so it is imperative to not have any air bubbles twix the cells and the glass or on any of the wiring. Be careful when soldering the cells not to have any lumps of solder. Keep your cell negative side (blue side) as flat as possible. I solder on a glass backing to help dissipate the heat from the solder gun.
                            I am a novice at this and agree with authors on this site that you can buy panels for about the same price as you can make them, counting your time, and materials. And they will probably last longer ...as bought panels have all air vacuumed out and then sealed. I just enjoy doing the work!

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by elect41
                              Thanks for your help,

Thank YOU
                              Some mod needs to look at the link in the signature of this guy about Joe DIY KW rubbish. He is trying to make people think they can build DIY panels and use it in their homes or business or grid tie it.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2009

The Joe character drives by every few months and makes a stupid statement and drops his link - that I promptly delete.

Russ
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...