This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sealing cracked panels

I wish to repair some shattered JA Solar JAM72D09-385/BP panels that produce power well but exhibit poor DC isolation when wet (I am not considering replacment at this time). Clear Silcone Glass Sealant appears to be a reasonable alternative to the encapsulants listed below and I would appreciate hearing from those who have used it (application, performance, longevity, etc.) or other materials that are available now. Thank you!

[QUOTE=RJMcSherry;n1723]List of possible encapsulants

/QUOTE]

MOD NOTE: Please do not include links to products or sales on this forum unless you first get permission.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 04-04-2021, 01:28 PM.

The moderator's removal of the name of the product in question and the link to the manufacturer's information page and the quote from a post in another thread on this forum for context has defeated the purpose of this thread so please delete and disregard. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by GVF View Post
      The moderator's removal of the name of the product in question and the link to the manufacturer's information page and the quote from a post in another thread on this forum for context has defeated the purpose of this thread so please delete and disregard. Thanks anyway.
      You'd have been told by several knowledgeable posters here that repairing or resealing panels is pretty much a waste of time and effort anyway, so it all works out.

Comment

All Silicon glass sealants leak water vapor like a sieve. They will be useless
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

just put a new piece of glass over the old glass, seal with silicon on left and right sides, put aluminum angle on top edge so water does not flow into it. might work? some moisture will always get in which is why you don't want to seal the top and bottom sides, but it will certainly block 99.90% of rain water from getting in.

Comment

Originally posted by khanh dam View Post
            just put a new piece of glass over the old glass, seal with silicon on left and right sides, put aluminum angle on top edge so water does not flow into it. might work? some moisture will always get in which is why you don't want to seal the top and bottom sides, but it will certainly block 99.90% of rain water from getting in.
            Water VAPOR that gets in and condenses is as much of a problem as liquid. Your solution will not be of much help.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Water VAPOR that gets in and condenses is as much of a problem as liquid. Your solution will not be of much help.
              I agree that any moisture on the cells will degrade them quickly. IMO instead of spending anything to repair broken ones I would just replace them completely.

Comment

Per the OP's request this topic is now closed

Comment

Working...
                X