Is it OK to use solid copper wire between panels and charge controller?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Naptown
    57 in a couple of months
    My trek in life
    trade school to become an electrician
    electrician for 2 years moved from helper to estimator
    Electrical contractor sent me to school for HVAC.
    Left there went to work for AC contractor
    Tired of being laid off winters so went to college for Building construction
    built a couple hundred tract homes for a builder and got tired of mud.
    When mortgage rates hit the 13% mark I did some property management then did the solar thermal thing for Reynolds for a couple of years before it died out.
    Switched to remodeling (cleaner and less rain days) doing mostly high end kitchens and baths. (google Clive Christian kitchens and you will see some of the type of work I did) That stuff was extremely expensive and low quality and took a lot to get it to look like in the pictures.
    When things went south last time I sat around and came back to the solar business.
    At least you can claim you made it through life using "hands on" knowledge. I on the other hand (will be 60 in May) took the easy route and got an EE degree in the 70's. Spent too many years designing on paper not really understanding the real world of electrical power. It wasn't until the mid 80's that I got to experience real life being a Field Project Manger. (real fun being on the end of a rope doing a 500mcm cable pull). Then the real learning began.

Comment

• FloridaSun
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle
      I on the other hand (will be 60 in May)
      damn... there's gotta be somebody around here older than me.

Comment

• Naptown
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2011

Maybe we should start a sub group call it the OFB
        NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

took the easy route and got an EE degree in the 70's.
          Well not so sure I would say the Easy Route if you mean BSEE. ASEE is easier, but still requires a sharp cookie. With that said an EE is a non descriptive, like a Doctor. There are so many disciplines and specialties.

Even a BSEE dunno chit when they graduate. They have only dipped their toe into electronics, electric power, communications, controls, etc. They specialize in nothing and really do not know much, and for some get quite frustrated once they realize the education process has only begun. However they have the tools and fundamentals. What I look for in c graduate candidate is have they taken EIT test and passed.Most electrical engineers never ever take the EIT and PE exam. Once you have the PE license in you chosen discipline opens the world up and is your Meal Ticket. Once you have it you can pretty much pick where you want to live and work, rather than go to where the work is.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

Originally posted by FloridaSun
            damn... there's gotta be somebody around here older than me.
            I will admit to 65, but not a bit more.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

68 - Still working - got recycled on a project in India working on gas consumption in direct reduced iron plants - back in India - again.

I was quite happy playing until the company showed up asking for assistance - however, another year at the max.

For now I ride my bicycle 20 miles and work out for about 1 1/2 hours a day.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
                Well not so sure I would say the Easy Route if you mean BSEE. ASEE is easier, but still requires a sharp cookie. With that said an EE is a non descriptive, like a Doctor. There are so many disciplines and specialties.

Even a BSEE dunno chit when they graduate. They have only dipped their toe into electronics, electric power, communications, controls, etc. They specialize in nothing and really do not know much, and for some get quite frustrated once they realize the education process has only begun. However they have the tools and fundamentals. What I look for in c graduate candidate is have they taken EIT test and passed.Most electrical engineers never ever take the EIT and PE exam. Once you have the PE license in you chosen discipline opens the world up and is your Meal Ticket. Once you have it you can pretty much pick where you want to live and work, rather than go to where the work is.
                It was a BSEE majoring in solid state materials like the IC and CCD type chips. Actually I did a Senior Project and Science Paper on Cadmium Sulfide Solar Cells so I was sort of expose to PV Panels at a real early stage.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) the Solid State industry took a nose dive in the mid 70's. So I went on to designing power distribution, lighting and controls for a Consulting Engineer. Expanded that into Energy Management and Programmable Logic Control design. Followed by Project Management. I had the chance to get my PE but then the job had me traveling a lot (80 hour weeks and missing many weekends and holidays) so it was something I let go. It has been an up and down ride across a half dozen different manufacturing companies but now I am back working for a Power Quality Engineering group. I figure a few more years at this but I want to get up to speed on the Solar side and will probably continue along that for a while until I just want to kick back and relax when I get to or past russ's age.

Comment

• FloridaSun
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Dec 2012

... when I get to or past russ's age.
                  now that guy is really OLD!

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by FloridaSun
                    now that guy is really OLD!
                    68 years young - just got back from my 20 mile bike ride (actually 30.54 km) and as today is a holiday here I spent the day in my exercise mode.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• FloridaSun
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by russ
                      68 years young - just got back from my 20 mile bike ride (actually 30.54 km) and as today is a holiday here I spent the day in my exercise mode.
                      That's the way to go, Russ. Gotta keep moving, use it or lose it. Works the same way for the mind.... which is one reason I like this site. It keeps my mind well exercised.

Comment

• bcroe
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2012

year

I have a couple years on all of you. There were no cars built the year I was born. Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bcroe
                          I have a couple years on all of you. There were no cars built the year I was born. Bruce Roe
                          Welcome sir. I hope to live old enough when cars are no longer built.

Comment

• Naptown
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2011

'43 of '44
                            NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• bcroe
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2012

cars

Originally posted by Naptown
                              '43 of '44
                              43. Seen a lot of advances in electronics since then, worked on some. Bruce

Comment

• inetdog
                                Super Moderator
                                • May 2012

43. Seen a lot of advances in electronics since then, worked on some. Bruce
                                I seem to recall something called a "tube", I believe. And a thyratron for switching?
                                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...