Looking for a kit seller with reliable phone support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a kit seller with reliable phone support

Can anyone recommend a good solar kit seller? I keep running into companies that are pretty difficult to contact via telephone, including Wholesale Solar. One company that I might be having some success with is Fire Mountain Solar in WA, but it's too soon to tell. Found them searching via Google.

https://www.ontility.com/products/inverters
    Honestly do not think any company will hold your hand that well.What you will probably end up doing is having to call each products tech support to get answers and piece those together to understand the big picture. that is why most beginners should use micro inverters IMHO, they are easier to understand, and more local electricans will understand it so they can help you. Getting a local trade service to help you is NOT cheap. Most people will charge you a minimum of $500 just to review and sign off on your DIY plans.

Comment

Generally, a retailer cannot possibly be expected to design a system for each buyer.

A prefab "kit" will be appropriate for 1 out of 300 purchasers. the others will have either overbought or underbought.

If you have a design, and full specs, they can be expected to furnish parts for that. Otherwise, you need to have a system engineered for your site, local codes, and personal planned usage. To expect a pre-packaged kit to work, is unreasonable. Solar power is much more personal than you imagine.

Some companies may have in-house designers, but it's doubtful they are licensed outside their home state. Solar power is a lot more involved that a kitchen cabinet re-faceing.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        Generally, a retailer cannot possibly be expected to design a system for each buyer.

A prefab "kit" will be appropriate for 1 out of 300 purchasers. the others will have either overbought or underbought.

If you have a design, and full specs, they can be expected to furnish parts for that. Otherwise, you need to have a system engineered for your site, local codes, and personal planned usage. To expect a pre-packaged kit to work, is unreasonable. Solar power is much more personal than you imagine.

Some companies may have in-house designers, but it's doubtful they are licensed outside their home state. Solar power is a lot more involved that a kitchen cabinet re-faceing.
        I'm not looking for them to design the system for me, just sell the kit and answer some questions that might arise. The companies I've looked at so far are installers, as well. It's all looking pretty plug n' play so far; what is gonna be the tricky part(s)?

Comment

The safe way for a kit seller to work, is to over sell you by 200%. Generally folks overestimate how much sun they will harvest, and underestimate how much power they will use. An undersized system will always be shutting down from low voltage in the winter and the batteries will last less than 2 years. A well designed system will require some generator runtime in winter, and batteries last +5 years. Over-designed systems will consume a lot of extra money.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
            The safe way for a kit seller to work, is to over sell you by 200%. Generally folks overestimate how much sun they will harvest, and underestimate how much power they will use. An undersized system will always be shutting down from low voltage in the winter and the batteries will last less than 2 years. A well designed system will require some generator runtime in winter, and batteries last +5 years. Over-designed systems will consume a lot of extra money.
            Mike, I appreciate your replies, but maybe take a look at my other post; that will give you a much better picture of what I'm up to. Also, this post is pretty specific--looking for a kit seller.
            Looking at first time install, Concord CA, perhaps DIY

Comment

the tricky and annoying part is the permit process. most inspectors are going to triple check everything you do since this is your first system. IN fact many cities will flat out NOT let you DIY unless you hire an electrician and/or get the electrical plans reviewed. Does CA have a solar oversight body like Florida and other states? Wouldn't surprise me since CA is Liberal headquarters. If you run dc wires into your home you will need metal conduit. If PVC conduit is used must be schedule 80 (thick). buy a monitoring system so you can actually tell when somethning goes wrong with your array. too many things to list, buying a solar book is best ionvestment you can make. Pretty much any reseller will help you with tech support, but honestly do a forum search and the question has already been answered most times. Jump in ,go for it, but the water is cold, plan ahead because you only have 3.5 months left to cash in on 30% fed rebate and then it goes to 26% next year and for a newbie that is a tight schedule!

Comment

Originally posted by khanh dam View Post
                the tricky and annoying part is the permit process. most inspectors are going to triple check everything you do since this is your first system. IN fact many cities will flat out NOT let you DIY unless you hire an electrician and/or get the electrical plans reviewed.
                I believe that MOST cities HAVE to let you DIY as an owner-builder. They are not allowed to require you to hire a contractor. (they can encourage you to do that, but they can't require it)
                I don't know all state's laws, but that's certainly the way it is in many states, including CA, which is where the OP is from.

I think having the electrical plans reviewed by the AHJ is normal part of the process whether it's DIY or a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

I believe that MOST cities HAVE to let you DIY as an owner-builder. They are not allowed to require you to hire a contractor. (they can encourage you to do that, but they can't require it)
                  I don't know all state's laws, but that's certainly the way it is in many states, including CA, which is where the OP is from.

I think having the electrical plans reviewed by the AHJ is normal part of the process whether it's DIY or a contractor.
                  I agree with you that a DIY is possible for the OP.

What the OP doesn't understand is that there aren't really any "kits" that will fit all customer requirements so it may not be worth even looking for them.

You first have to determine your watt hour needs are and then "build" the system from that using components that may be included in some type of "kit" but more than likely come from multiple hardware sources.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                    What the OP doesn't understand is that there aren't really any "kits" that will fit all customer requirements so it may not be worth even looking for them.

You first have to determine your watt hour needs are and then "build" the system from that using components that may be included in some type of "kit" but more than likely come from multiple hardware sources.
                    My experience is that I found "kits" at 3 vendors.
                    Wholesale Solar and another were essentially "Here's what you'd buy if you want to do a X kw size system".
                    And I found those useful to look at to see "what would they sell as a packaged kit". I talked to one of them, and they were quite willing to add/subtract items to match what I needed.
                    Renvu was a slightly more customized 'kit' from the start - you put in various parameters and it gave you a part list (and prices) for that setup. Then you could add/remove items beyond that. (IIRC, I even had them add an item that wasn't normally on their website, but that they could easily get the part)
                    ​​​

Comment

The sellers also have to be careful about design liability, if they make a recommendation and the caller implements it and has a failure or injury the seller is potentially liable. in some states, handing out free technical advise linked to a sale is bordering on a letter from the state board of professional engineering inquiring about the firms license status

Comment

After you dissed 2 of the 3 reputable kit sellers I I know of, and then want an answer by looking at another thread. AND having several other seasoned replies say essentially the same thing I said, I guess you are in for a fun time. Engineers, Electricians, and well rounded Handyman can often pull off a successful design & install. Welcome to the club

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

I believe that MOST cities HAVE to let you DIY as an owner-builder. .
                          IN THEORY, BUT NOT IN PRACTICE. They can throw road blocks up like requiring a stuctural engineer to sign off, elelctrical engineer stamps, $2000 cash bonds, etc. Makes it so difficult you might as well hire a contractor to pull the permit for you becuase it is cheaper.

Comment

I have installed two Renogy "kits" on buses. In both cases the bus owner contacted Renogy with their needs and Renogy put together a kit. Both were well done.

I did have to call Renogy with some questions and found their tech support to be solid.

Comment

Originally posted by khanh dam View Post
                              IN THEORY, BUT NOT IN PRACTICE. They can throw road blocks up like requiring a stuctural engineer to sign off, elelctrical engineer stamps, $2000 cash bonds, etc. Makes it so difficult you might as well hire a contractor to pull the permit for you becuase it is cheaper.
                              Hasn't been my experience.
                              My experience is they treat an owner-builder the same as any other contractor.
                              About the only difference I've noticed in my current city is that they make sure you're aware that pulling an owner-builder permit and hiring an unlicensed contractor to do the work is illegal. I think that's because they have seen enough unlicensed and poor quality contractors do shoddy work and they're trying to protect the citizens of the city from fly-by-night handymen who have the owner pull the permit.

I don't think that an AHJ in CA can require a cash bond of an owner-builder. Is there a city/county/town where you've encountered this? Because it looks to me like you're just making up stuff to scare people.

Comment

Working...
                              X