X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbowens
    • Mar 2019

Looking at first time install, Concord CA, perhaps DIY

Hi All,
    I'm a solar noob, and I've had three estimates, one included an on-site visit; the estimates varied in price some, but the gear seemed pretty much the same. I'm trying to get something installed by the end of 2019 so that I can take advantage of whatever benefits are still in place (tax credit and NEM rules). My requirements are pretty standard--PV, on-grid, outright purchase preferred. Since excess generation on the true-up is pretty meager, I'm shooting for a system that is at or just short of my requirements, but expandable in case I need more generation down the road. So, a roughly 8-panel system with a higher capacity inverter is my current strategy.

I hadn't considered DIY, but I came across the Wholesale Solar website last night, and I see the system that one estimate outlined, and at quite a bit lower cost-- https://www.wholesalesolar.com/18912...ar-315w-panels

If I go this route, I figure I'll do some or all of the work, get some help perhaps on the electrical and possibly the roofing. That said, should I post this scenario in a different forum section, and any comments in general? (is Wholesale Solar a good resource?).
  • khanh dam
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2019

I doubt a 2.5KW system is going to be anywhere close to "just short" of your requirements. Maybe you live in a very small house? I'd go with Enphase micro inverters, they are much easier to DIY for most people and more electricians understand AC better than DC

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

OP: What's your annual kWh usage, what's your zip and what's your proposed array tilt and azimuth ?

Comment

• bbowens
        • Mar 2019

Originally posted by J.P.M.
        OP: What's your annual kWh usage, what's your zip and what's your proposed array tilt and azimuth ?
        I haven't lived here for a year yet, and since May, I've installed new HVAC (.93 & 17seer), R48 attic insulation, and a heat pump water heater. Windows are all double-paned. That said, I'm guessing 3600kwh/year at present. How would I determine tilt and azimuth? I think the roofer said that mine is 4:12, and the install location faces directly south.
        Last edited by bbowens; 08-26-2019, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• khanh dam
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2019

4:1 is 14 degree tilt and azimuth is 180 if directly south. you didn't give zip so people can't help you calculate the yield of your solar arrays.

Comment

• bbowens
            • Mar 2019

Originally posted by khanh dam
            4:1 is 14 degree tilt and azimuth is 180 if directly south. you didn't give zip so people can't help you calculate the yield of your solar arrays.
            I'm in 94518. Also, no shade where the panels will go, unless more than 10 (2 rows x five panels)

Comment

• nwdiver
              Solar Fanatic
              • Mar 2019

Originally posted by bbowens
              Hi All,
              I'm a solar noob, and I've had three estimates, one included an on-site visit; the estimates varied in price some, but the gear seemed pretty much the same. I'm trying to get something installed by the end of 2019 so that I can take advantage of whatever benefits are still in place (tax credit and NEM rules). My requirements are pretty standard--PV, on-grid, outright purchase preferred. Since excess generation on the true-up is pretty meager, I'm shooting for a system that is at or just short of my requirements, but expandable in case I need more generation down the road. So, a roughly 8-panel system with a higher capacity inverter is my current strategy.

I hadn't considered DIY, but I came across the Wholesale Solar website last night, and I see the system that one estimate outlined, and at quite a bit lower cost-- https://www.wholesalesolar.com/18912...ar-315w-panels

If I go this route, I figure I'll do some or all of the work, get some help perhaps on the electrical and possibly the roofing. That said, should I post this scenario in a different forum section, and any comments in general? (is Wholesale Solar a good resource?).
              That looks like a good system. I would do some cross-referencing with other sites but it may not be worth the trouble to save a few bucks. I don't have any personal experience with Wholesale solar but they are geared toward the DIY'r so they should be a good resource.

SMA is my personal preference. I've installed ~10 SMA inverters and haven't had any issues, they appear to be pretty much bullet proof. SMA is a little cheaper than SE but the need to add rapid shutdown (TS4-Fs) on every module at ~$30ea narrows the advantage. SE might be worth the premium just to have module level monitoring.

Comment

• bbowens
                • Mar 2019

Wholesale Solar said the system will produce 4176kwh annually based on 5h/day exposure

Comment

• bbowens
                  • Mar 2019

Originally posted by khanh dam
                  corrected roof pitch, 4:12

Comment

• bbowens
                    • Mar 2019

PVWatts Calculator_edit.jpg
                    Last edited by bbowens; 08-26-2019, 11:00 PM. Reason: PVWatts output

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bbowens

I haven't lived here for a year yet, and since May, I've installed new HVAC (.93 & 17seer), R48 attic insulation, and a heat pump water heater. Windows are all double-paned. That said, I'm guessing 3600kwh/year at present. How would I determine tilt and azimuth? I think the roofer said that mine is 4:12, and the install location faces directly south.
                      If it's 3,600 kWh/yr., you'll be doing a very good job at conservation and lifestyle. So good in fact, I'd take a look at those loads and make sure. If so, and if the estimate holds, nicely done.

Comment

• sdold
                        • Jun 2014

Take a look at Renvu, I installed my system five years ago and bought everything but the racking from them. Good prices and good about taking things back, and they are close to you (in Mountain View).

Comment

• bbowens
                          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by sdold
                          Take a look at Renvu, I installed my system five years ago and bought everything but the racking from them. Good prices and good about taking things back, and they are close to you (in Mountain View).
                          thanks! I'll check 'em out

Comment

• foo1bar
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by sdold
                            I bought modules, optimizers and inverter (solaredge), racking, PV wire, and basically everything that you can't buy at Home Depot or Lowe's from them.
                            So I'd also recommend them.

You should also look at Soligent. They have a warehouse in Sacramento, and I think you can do pickup from there.

Comment

Working...