Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expandable kit to start off with to use in the event of a hurricane.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, that plan has merit as well. I have had bad valves on a tank but that is rare. I am in need of a more immediate solution as hurricane season is here and I want to be ahead of the first storm. I do get a few propane tanks in prep for cooking if needed.
    Sunking, probably a stupid question here but seeing 12v inverters nothing specific to 6v can I make the assumption (yes I know what that does) that the 6v golf cart batteries you suggested will be ok with a 12v inverter? thanks

Comment

Another option (which I recently purchased) is a Goal Zero power bank. I got mine for about $1,000. It is pure sine wave, has 1500 watts peak and 1000 watts continuous load handling. It has two 120 volt outlets and DC out, as well as usb charging. It has Lithium Ion battery, it can take solar panel input directly, comes with a wall charger. While it cannot run a window AC unit, it can run pretty good loads without issue. This is also nice to go camping, etc with. Just another thought.

Comment

Never mind it seems If I read I find out. I have to match the battery DC to the Inverter DC.

Comment

Is anyone here familiar with Quantum Harvest? He builds solar generators. Similar to goal zero but he builds for large and small portable applications. might fit your application jwill
          Last edited by Mike90250; 06-12-2018, 02:45 AM. Reason: sales link removed, spammy looking post. Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by jwill View Post
            Never mind it seems If I read I find out. I have to match the battery DC to the Inverter DC.
            String two 6V batteries in series, and you now have a 12V battery
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by leosantamana View Post
              Here's my $.02 - While I merely tinker with solar (very much a newbie), I bought an inexpensive generator (4000watts). It runs on both gas and propane (think cookout grill 20# cylinders). I run the generator once or twice per year for several hours to keep it lubed/change the oil. My plan is to continue buying inexpensive propane tanks (at yard sales, etc) and have them filled at Costco or swap for filled ones. My understanding is that if they don't leak, they will keep for years without issues that gas would have.
              I agree that those propane tanks should keep the "fuel" stable a lot longer than gasoline.

Just be careful with those "garage sale" tanks. Some places will not refill them if they have not been pressure tested within a specific number of years. The date of the last pressure test is usually somewhere on the tank. Otherwise look into getting a very large tank that is stationary and will hold a lot more (usually at a lower cost) then those smaller portable tanks.

Comment

I don't know enough about solar to speak to that. I DO know quite a bit about hurricanes from 30+ years of living in south Florida. If you get hit by a big storm you are not going to be able to store enough gas for your generator. We were without power for several weeks after hurricane Andrew. A buried propane tank and sparing use of a propane generator is probably the best bet. Diesel isn't a bad choice if you can go get more. Many stations now have their own generators but who knows how long before they get resupplied. After Andrew many streets were blocked. Even some of the more forgettable storms knocked down enough trees/branches to make travel hazardous. Especially without any traffic lights. Being self sufficient at home for as long as possible is the best bet. As for getting gas a couple of days before a storm, good luck. You and EVERYONE else is trying at that point. Get gas at least a week before any storms. You won't know if you really are in the final path of the storm, but add a stabilizer (good advice anyway) and you might be able to keep the gas for the entire hurricane season. It will still be good to burn in your vehicle later. My experience is after a storm, the weather is usually good for a couple of days. All the moisture in the air has been drawn into the storm. What are the experts' thoughts on some of the portable panels for cell phone/flashlight charging?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

String two 6V batteries in series, and you now have a 12V battery
                  Mike if I string the 2 6V together can I leave together to charge or do I disconnect to charge. Any suggestions on battery charger and also a good inverter?

Comment

A lead acid cell produces 2V. 3 of them in a box, creates a 6V battery, or 6 on a box - gives you a 12V battery. Once you connect a pair of 6V in series, you have a 12V battery. You charge that as a 12V battery, and use loads with it, as a 12V battery. It's just 12V in 2 boxes.
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by BoloMKXXVIII View Post
                      I don't know enough about solar to speak to that. I DO know quite a bit about hurricanes from 30+ years of living in south Florida. If you get hit by a big storm you are not going to be able to store enough gas for your generator. We were without power for several weeks after hurricane Andrew. A buried propane tank and sparing use of a propane generator is probably the best bet. Diesel isn't a bad choice if you can go get more. Many stations now have their own generators but who knows how long before they get resupplied. After Andrew many streets were blocked. Even some of the more forgettable storms knocked down enough trees/branches to make travel hazardous. Especially without any traffic lights. Being self sufficient at home for as long as possible is the best bet. As for getting gas a couple of days before a storm, good luck. You and EVERYONE else is trying at that point. Get gas at least a week before any storms. You won't know if you really are in the final path of the storm, but add a stabilizer (good advice anyway) and you might be able to keep the gas for the entire hurricane season. It will still be good to burn in your vehicle later. My experience is after a storm, the weather is usually good for a couple of days. All the moisture in the air has been drawn into the storm. What are the experts' thoughts on some of the portable panels for cell phone/flashlight charging?
                      You are pretty much spot on in your storm assessment and aftermath management IMHO. But as for the portable panels, if you mean the small roll out kind or the kind that attach to a back back, I think they are pretty useless. I have one and it claims it might take days to charge a cell phone battery. I made it thru the last storm here in FL with the 4 25w Harbor Freight panels, a 1000w 12v inverter and 2 6v AGMs in parallel ... but the "100 watts" of solar and PWM charge controller never did once come close to charging the batteries fully. I now have a 3000w 240v split inverter and 2565w array with 4 6v batteries. I have been using it for 8 months and know what it will do. My plan in the next approaching storm is to rope the panels down to the track and roof. Fortunately the panels are 1.5 stories off the ground, with NO trees near and a lake so, limited projectile potential. They will most likely do OK. But if not I an prepared to charge with a genny thru the day using my inverter/charger.
                      285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good name brand inverter? It seems that most are hit or miss on quality and I don't have time to keep sending inferior products back. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks

Comment

jwill , I am no expert in this field, but, in general, when posting in these forums, the more specific you ask a question, the better. Perhaps a more specific question would be, "Can anyone recommend an inverter which costs around "X" dollars which is capable of "Y" continuous and "Z" surge watts". That may get you more useful replies.

Comment

Outback, Morningstar, Magnum, Schneider, Samlex.
                            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Thanks littleharbor for the recommendations.
                              And if specifics are required I am looking for 2000w continuous 4000w surge, could go lower on both but not by much. As far as price I am willing to pay more for a more dependable brand if there is such a thing.

Comment

im impressed with the samlex brand...nicely built!

Comment

Working...
                                X