Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expandable kit to start off with to use in the event of a hurricane.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expandable kit to start off with to use in the event of a hurricane.

I live in south MS about forty miles north of the Gulf of Mexico. I like the idea so solar but currently we are renting with the option to buy and we have not decided whether we want to stay in the area or not. I would like to have something I can run my 5 cubic foot freezer and a small under the counter refrigerator with, maybe a couple of fans and be able to charge lap tops off of in case of a hurricane. I can use a generator for backup but with all the free rays why go stand in line for gas in the heat and get ripped off on the price? I am thinking a kit might be great for this but I would like something I could expand on latter if I wanted. Because of renting I would not want anything grid tied. I am thinking about setting the panels up in the back yard (faces south) & I also have a huge laundry room on the south side of the house that I could store the panels in to protect from a storm coming in. I could use them to run my freezer, washer and sewing machine off of normally. The dryer, I realize would probably have to stay on incoming power. Since I am renting I doubt if I can get tax credits on this. Good idea or bad idea?

Hello NItalynn and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

Depending on the actual watt hour usage of your equipment you will probably be spending a lot more money then you think

A basic solar/ battery system will cost about $2000 for each kWh it can delivery. That is 1000 watt hours or about a load of 40 watts for 24 hours.

A system that can power a couple of refrigerators, charge laptops and run some fans will probably consume about 3000 watt hours per day. That will cost you somewhere between $5000 and $6000.

While a 2000 watt inverter style generator is about $1000 plus fuel.

Do you still think you want to go with a solar / battery system for emergency power?

Comment

Buy a generator. As Sun Eagle said you cannot afford what you want.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

The other part of the equation is that the hurricane may be over, but you might be facing a week or more bad weather to follow with very little to no sun!

Imagine how frustrating that would be to have a kit and not be able to recharge it. Just something to think about.

Comment

Working...
        X