Challenge: Design a solar panel kit with the following. HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • youngleo
    • Mar 2016

Challenge: Design a solar panel kit with the following. HELP!!!

Well, I purchased a pallet full of solar cells and two pallets full of batteries. My challenge is to design a solar panel kit using what I have that I can offer people to make their own setup. I have the following. Unisolar cells(like the ones all over ebay) seen in the pictures and the batteries seen in the pictures. I have thousands of the solar cells and 500+ of the batteries. I would love to have a do it yourself kit where people can make their own. I was thinking wires, terminal connectors, some kind of inverter thing? etc. whatever you want. Perhaps there is a method to encapsulate these? I have a bunch of plexiglass too if you think it might help. Both clear and solid grey. I can buy or come up with anything as long as it is cost effective. The solar cells are like 2 volts each and put out about 7 watts. The batteries are 12V and 9ah. I am not really versed enough in solar to figure this out on my own. What do I do here? By the way, I am willing to compensate whoever comes up with a usable idea. I would sell them on eBay. Solar panels? Batteries? Cash? Thanks for your help. PS: If you are wondering where I got all this stuff, I buy and sell industrial surplus. I just kind of ended up with this stuff.
    Attached Files
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Check out the data sheet for those batteries, no good for cycling applications. Your best best will be to look for some kind of backup power application. The cells... eh.... maybe build them into a cheap enclosure with a power controller and use them to operate christmas lights?

If you can sell any of it directly for more than what you paid, that is probably the best outcome.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Logan005
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2015

I hope you didn't pay much for those batteries. Much easier and more likely cheaper to purchase already assembled panels.
      4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

First, you need to get a fancy AC powered charger, and hit all those batteries and top them off, more than a couple months sitting idle, and they start sustaining damage from self discharge.
        Are those loose cells (wafers) that need to be glued to backing, frames and glass ? You have tough project ahead.
        Look in the DIY panel forum here https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...ar-panel-build
        it links to fieldlines, but it's the way to build panels.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• sunlar
          • Mar 2016

how much for 100 cells ? and what are the spec of each cell ?

Comment

• PNjunction
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2012

Ironically, used industrial cast-offs are about the worst possible things to start out with in solar if you don't know what you are doing and make a TERRIBLE first project for the newcomer who has no idea of what's what.

JUNK or recycle all those used high-rate, low-cycle ability agm's - typically gotten from the discarded UPS industry.

Comment

Working...