Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Solarcorona
    • Feb 2013

Help in making my 1st

Hi to All, my first post here .I have just found this forum ,been reading tru some topics and find it very informative.Ok now to get started... ,im planing to make a diy panel that will be used to power home aircon. unit , so ive been looking around for materials that i will need .So far i decided to use tempered glass i can find in local shops, aluminium frame for the panel/s i will hopefully make using L-profile alum.
    Everything else has to be imported .Since this is the first(i hope not the last..) panel that im building ,i will try to keep the costs at minimum.
    My power requirement is around 1kw ,i understand that i will need a power inverter too?
    Which cells would you recommend ?
    Tabbed or not?
    which encapsulating method?
    Diodes ,buss bars etc?
    Panel placement ,ground or roof And so on..
    All the suggestions and comments are welcomed !
  • Solaron
    • Nov 2012

Help for first solar panel

Hi, SolarRon here,

Let me be the first to comment on your request for help. Not all inclusive but atleast a good start, maybe, to your question

1. This may prove to be quite expensive in solar cells alone, not to mention any type of encapsulation you may be considering, wiring, other supplies etc.
    2. I recommend you create at least a 1.5KW panel system maybe 2KW, to power this AC unit to accomodate for not so bright days.
    3. You're talking some amps here so your system will need to be configured as such.
    4. Don't base your contruction off of the solar cell specs, best if you actually put them to the test to see what they produce and then build from that. (ex: solar cell current may not be even close to what it's capable of in perfect factory conditions).
    5. Solar cells/panels are around 15% efficient meaning that you will probably be taking up some space with this project as well.
    6. You will most likely require a Pure Sine Wave inverter to convert DC to AC power and run this air conditioner unit. Don't waste your money on Modified Sine wave inverters as they don't run many things and in some cases shorten life span or even fry the appliance being run with it! I speak from experience.
    7. Off-grid night time operation of this ac unit will require a good size battery bank to provide the power needed to run the AC, also another great expense.
    If you're willing and able, this should prove to be anawesome project...good luck!

Originally posted by Solarcorona
    Hi to All, my first post here .I have just found this forum ,been reading tru some topics and find it very informative.Ok now to get started... ,im planing to make a diy panel that will be used to power home aircon. unit , so ive been looking around for materials that i will need .So far i decided to use tempered glass i can find in local shops, aluminium frame for the panel/s i will hopefully make using L-profile alum.
    Everything else has to be imported .Since this is the first(i hope not the last..) panel that im building ,i will try to keep the costs at minimum.
    My power requirement is around 1kw ,i understand that i will need a power inverter too?
    Which cells would you recommend ?
    Tabbed or not?
    which encapsulating method?
    Diodes ,buss bars etc?
    Panel placement ,ground or roof And so on..
    All the suggestions and comments are welcomed !

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

A solar system to support an air conditioner is not at all practical - very expensive and you end up paying far more per kWh than your power company will charge. About the same as solar powered electrical resistance heating.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• elhifnawyplast
        • Jan 2013

Can you please explain why ?

A solar system to support an air conditioner is not at all practical - very expensive and you end up paying far more per kWh than your power company will charge. About the same as solar powered electrical resA solar system to support an air conditioner is not at all practical - very expensive and you end up paying far more per kWh than your power company will charge. About the same as solar powered electrical resistance heating.istance heating.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by elhifnawyplast
          Real simple, you cannot afford it. Instead of paying the mean ole greedy Power Company 10-cents per Kwh, you elect to pay your local green dealer $2.00 Kwh for the rest of your life in 5 year up front cash payments. So if your air conditioner bill runs $100/month to the POCO. How does $60,000 initially up front in cash, and $40,000 every 5 years in battery replacement cost strike you? You would be a dam fool to do that.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...