Homemade panel fire

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SolarTekkie
    • Jan 2011

Yeah, the main reason is when you chain panels together you are putting either serious voltage or serious amperage through the tiny wires and non professionally soldered joints.

Comment

• Flashyeight
      • Aug 2011

Just because you installed a solar panel onto your roof does not void your insurance claim. They can't deny your claim because you were stupid in building a bad panel or hooking it up wrong. Sorry there is no stupidy exclusion written into an insurance policy. Any insurance company that denies that type of claim is acting in bad faith and can be sued. So please stop saying your insuance is null and void if you have a fire and the homeowner installed it.

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Flashyeight
        Just because you installed a solar panel onto your roof does not void your insurance claim. They can't deny your claim because you were stupid in building a bad panel or hooking it up wrong. Sorry there is no stupidy exclusion written into an insurance policy. Any insurance company that denies that type of claim is acting in bad faith and can be sued. So please stop saying your insuance is null and void if you have a fire and the homeowner installed it.
        Talk is cheap - please provide a reference for this.

Please note - No one is saying that placing a solar panel on the roof makes your insurance invalid. What they are saying is that in the US non UL (or equivalent agency) certified electrical equipment is not legal and will invalidate your insurance if noticed - DIY is certainly not certified by anyone.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SolarTekkie
          • Jan 2011

Insurance companies will use any loophole they can, call your company and ask them if they will cover a house fire if the root cause if found to be a DIY electrical installation and solar panel and see what they say. I called mine and they said I can't even wire up UL listed panels myself and be covered, it would need to be done by a master electrician in order to be up to code, and thus covered. (with receipt).

M

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

You either are a :
            New Homeowner
            not near any fire area (re Oakland Hills, very little insurance paid out to the million $$ homes), (Sylmar trailer park)
            not near any earthquake zone
            Ostrich .

Generally, the insurance companies out-lawyer you, and pay only a very reduced amount under normal conditions. If you had a gas can in your garage, that can even void the coverage!

When you connect any non-UL (or equilivant) device to your house electrical, you are suddenly not covered.

And you don't get your premiums back either.

We just warn folks what happens. They/you are free to do as you please. But we'll call you on known BS.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• s.xavier
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2011

ahh.... we all know the phrase, "you pay for what yah get."

Personally, more power to you especially if you want like to make your own home solar panel but take every precaution and consider the risks.

I'm glad no one got hurt but seriously now... you are saving a fraction compared to risking your life and family.

Why rush the break even for your home solar energy system? At some point in time you will break even so jeopardizing your health doesn't make much sense especially with solar panels coming down in price.

becareful out there

Comment

• Flashyeight
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by russ
                Talk is cheap - please provide a reference for this.

Please note - No one is saying that placing a solar panel on the roof makes your insurance invalid. What they are saying is that in the US non UL (or equivalent agency) certified electrical equipment is not legal and will invalidate your insurance if noticed - DIY is certainly not certified by anyone.
                I agree that every effort should be made to make a safe panel and you should consult as many people as possible. I'm not saying that you should just throw something together and then install it. Please do your research before going forward.

I was a residential insurance adjuster for 7 years and have been a commercial insurance adjuster for the past 3 years. I deal with home fires, commercial fires, water losses, and fraud. Insurance companies pay for fires as long as it is not caused intentially by the home owner (arson). Whether it is someone smoking a cigerate, has a gas can in the garage, installed electronics incorrectly, overloaded a circuit with too many appliances, on and on and on.... The point is the state regulates them and there is no exclusion in your home owners policy that would give them the ability to deny your claim. We call it the stupidy endorsement, not really written in the policy but is also not excluded.

Solartekkie, I don't know who you called regarding your insurance, but most likely it was your agent and he has no clue what is covered and what is not. Of course he is going to say it won't be covered if you install something he has no clue what you are talking about. But insurance 101, the agents don't make coverage decisions, nor are they allowed to. He/she should of directed you to the actual insurance company and not get an answer from the middle man that has no clue, except a very small amount of knowledge to sell the policy.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

....I deal with home fires, commercial fires, water losses, and fraud. Insurance companies pay for fires as long as it is not caused intentially by the home owner (arson). Whether it is someone smoking a cigerate, has a gas can in the garage, installed electronics incorrectly, overloaded a circuit with too many appliances, on and on and on.... The point is the state regulates them and there is no exclusion in your home owners policy that would give them the ability to deny your claim......
                  Well, what state are you in, and do you sell coverage in Red California ?
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Flashyeight
                    • Aug 2011

I am in Arizona and I don't sell the insurance. I am the guy that comes out, investigates the fire, determines if there is coverage, writes an estimate, and gives you the payment for the damages. I work for American Family insurance and they do not sell in California because it is a high risk state. But again it is state regulated and there is no known state that would put a clause in the insurance policy that would exclude this type of damage.

Now that said, I do realize the company may have grounds to terminate your insurance if they think you are a high risk of having a claim. The same could be said if you have a pit bull, broken down vehicles in your yard, falling hazards ext....... but when your house is inspected by underwriting they would have to know the difference between a proffessionally installed panel system to a system that was installed by the homeowner, not likely to be determined by an average person looking at the panels from the ground.

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

You are mixing a couple of things.

1) UL certified equipment (or other equivalent agency) vs

2) Electrical equipment without UL certification

The DIY installation is a different topic altogether.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• noeladdison
                        • Jul 2011

This photo was taken to warn people about the disadvantages of DIY solar panels )

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by noeladdison
                          This photo was taken to warn people about the disadvantages of DIY solar panels )
                          What photo are you referring to ? The ones at the beginning of this thread, where a roof caught on fire ? Noeladdison, better put some thought or content to your posts, or risk getting booted. Your Spam .sig was already deleted today. Bring something to the table, or leave.

Comment

• s.xavier
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by noeladdison
                            Not really to warn people about a specific type of module regardless of diy solar panel or manufactured solar panel.

Hopefully people understand there is a value with manufactured modules such as they do go through testing and are suitable for most environments. But with that said, if the installation is choppy or poor wiring occurs even solid manufactured solar panels can experience this. Like if you take a BMW to a chop shop for a $1 oil change and realize they gutted your engine after the oil change...

As for DIY solar panels, I would avoid roof mounts unless you're able to test them properly. If you will be installing these modules on your roof of your HOME, Take every precaution.... shoot it may even be safer doing a ground or pole mount. Whether you want to head toward diy solar panels or manu based solar panels that is up to the homeowner. My only comment is take every precaution, yah save a few bucks here but how do you measure the costs if something bad happens... safety safety safety

Comment

• russ
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2009

Like someone pointed out, The direct installation on the roof (no offset) is a bad idea. 100mm to 150mm (4 to 6 inches) allows air circulation under the panels to help them cool - for better production.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...