Homemade panel fire

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juice
    • Nov 2010

It must take a lot of guts to get instructions for assembling your own sun collector on the roof of your house from the internet. Next week's project? Home brew fission reactors in five easy steps!

dad jokes
    Last edited by juice; 03-19-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• SpaceOddacy
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2010

Anyone bring the marshmallows?
      But what if you use 12% and only get 8% energy return not filling a battery completely off the solar array- is this considered a cycle? Mmmmmmm mauh brain's sizzling
      [/QUOTE]
      [quote] If a pigeon had his brains it would fly sideways [/quote]

Comment

• martinjsto
        • Nov 2010

The see issue is not the home made solar panels, it could of been his home made computer or light switch he wired himself or even his car radio he put in. the point is it the method and failsafe systems incorporated in the design and his knowledge and skills that determineds if the end result will burn down his house or not. he obviously only researched the methods for a short time and followed bad advice and did not use common sence and had limited skills. to attempt to build a solar panel is an advanced DIY not for the handyman or weekend warier.

I cannot believe people pay for a panel made of wood and think it will last and be safe,
        however panels being made with alluminium frame, glass top, Sylgard 184 encapsulant, have nothing to burn. see

this of course leaves the wiring, and i think there is more potential for death or fire from shoddy wiring than from panels.

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

What burns is the material adjacent to the panel - a roof perhaps.

The potential problem with a panel is the high current and heat generated - unlike what a homemade PC or car radio would have. A panel located 150mm (6 inches) off a roof is not far at all in the event of a short circuit.

Many of the people asking about and interested in DIY are not like yourself or RifRaf who have the necessary skills.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by russ
            What burns is the material adjacent to the panel - a roof perhaps.
            Or possible the wiring, batteries, ect... There are many things that can go wrong. If the Electrical Code is followed, quality listed materials suitable for the purpose, and proper workmanship executed then the risk are very small. Problem for DIY stuff, is the DIY's do not even know what questions to ask.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• SolarTekkie
              • Jan 2011

So polycarbonate front is no good?

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

If poly-carb is flammable, it's not good
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SolarTekkie
                  • Jan 2011

Fair enough... it's kind of irrelevant due to the UL listing thing, I wish I had known that before I started. It was a fun project for a few days at least.

Comment

• Kathryn Griffin
                    • Jan 2011

solar panel fire

just had a solar panel catch on fire on our roof; Can anyone tell me what Sylgard is, and if that would have prevented the fire?

Comment

• SolarTekkie
                      • Jan 2011

What kind of temperatures and conditions do you have? what was the panel made out of? Was there major damage done?

I'm interested to know the variables, if you don't mind.

Comment

• Mike90250
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by Kathryn Griffin
                        just had a solar panel catch on fire on our roof; Can anyone tell me what Sylgard is, and if that would have prevented the fire?

That's a bummer ! I hope everything is OK.

But, if you have photos, and any report about what the panel construction was, I'm sure we'd all like to hear about it.

Sylguard: (is not fireporof, from MSDS)
                        Hazardous Decomposition Products
                        Thermal breakdown of this product during fire or very high heat conditions may evolve the following decomposition products: Carbon oxides and traces of incompletely burned carbon compounds. Silicon dioxide. Hydrogen. Formaldehyde.
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Scraniel
                          • Aug 2011

So what is the exact reason why a DIY panel may catch fire? Does this happen immediately ( a short time into the life of the panel) or as a result of continuous heat? I live in a very hot and humid climate. What effects does humidity have on possible DIY panel fires?

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Scraniel
                            So what is the exact reason why a DIY panel may catch fire? Does this happen immediately ( a short time into the life of the panel) or as a result of continuous heat? I live in a very hot and humid climate. What effects does humidity have on possible DIY panel fires?
                            Does it really matter? All you need to know is your insurance company is going to tell you: "Sorry Your House Burnt Down, But You Are Not Covered. Have A Nice Day".
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• Scraniel
                              • Aug 2011

Huh?! What kind of answer is that?

What is the point of having a forum on a topic if the participants aren't going to give straight answers on that topic?

Is there anyone who can answer my questions above please?

Comment

• Mike90250
                                • May 2009

Most will catch fire because of the voltage, heat, and moisture.

Any of them by themselves can start a fire, but in a solar array you can have up to 600V generated by panels, they are nice an toasty on the sunny roof, and a little moisture helps leakage paths, till they heat up for some nice carbon tracks. Add in flammable wood, paint, plastics, and some homemade solder joints and you have all the ingredients for fire.

And your insurance is void.

Comment

Working...