Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Solaron
    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by russ
    Great idea! If you cut them into small enough pieces you could get maybe a gigawatt out of a dozen cells then.
    Hi Russ,

Funny but the most i can divide one cell is in 6 different sections to get 3 volts. Current is yet to be known exactly but i can guess.

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Solaron
      Hi Russ,

Funny but the most i can divide one cell is in 6 different sections to get 3 volts. Current is yet to be known exactly but i can guess.
      Divide the original amps by 6 also because 2*2=4 - Unless one subscribes to the "new math"at least.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by russ
        Divide the original amps by 6 also because 2*2=4 - Unless one subscribes to the "new math"at least.
        In base 3, 2*2=11.
        And that is fairly old math by now.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by inetdog
          In base 3, 2*2=11.
          And that is fairly old math by now.
          I'm to old for that stuff!
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• conntaxman
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2011

solar cell breakage

Hi, I'm new to this Thread but though i'd throw in my success story. I have successfully encased many 3 x 6 solar cells in epoxy resin and then cut them with my mitter saw (flawless cuts) into four individual cells. Each individual cell still produces .5v. The epoxy needs to be about 1/8 inch thick. So, in other words, i made 2 volts from .5 volts. I have also developed a way to create 3v from one 3 x 6 solar cell.
            Yes you can cut the cell and make a higher vol. but your Amps will stay the same.
            cut an egg in half, you can make 2 egg sandwiches but still get the same proteen!!!!

Comment

• Solaron
              • Nov 2012

A good transition to a question i have please. I already know about the amps staying the same but with my method, you essentially can configure a great "little" battery charger for any voltage battery. I'm not talking off the grid applications here for me only charging batteries to be used in a battery generator i've made. Any real-time power that the panel made would only run something very small in current.

Question: When a solar company advertises an average amp rating for a solar cell let's say @ average 3.6 amps per solar cell, why is it that i can never achieve that or even come close to it when i expose that solar cell to direct sunlight? I'm lucky to get .200 mA give or take. I think what the advertisements are really saying is that the solar cell is capable of handling up to an average 3.6 amps, if configured in parrallel with more solar cells or another solar panel. I don't think it's saying that the solar cell itself will produce that much current. What say you.

Comment

• inetdog
                Super Moderator
                • May 2012

A good transition to a question i have please. I already know about the amps staying the same but with my method, you essentially can configure a great "little" battery charger for any voltage battery. I'm not talking off the grid applications here for me only charging batteries to be used in a battery generator i've made. Any real-time power that the panel made would only run something very small in current.

Question: When a solar company advertises an average amp rating for a solar cell let's say @ average 3.6 amps per solar cell, why is it that i can never achieve that or even come close to it when i expose that solar cell to direct sunlight? I'm lucky to get .200 mA give or take. I think what the advertisements are really saying is that the solar cell is capable of handling up to an average 3.6 amps, if configured in parrallel with more solar cells or another solar panel. I don't think it's saying that the solar cell itself will produce that much current. What say you.
                How are you measuring the current from the cell? Some cheap ammeters might drop as much as .5 volts when measuring DC current at full scale.

You would not expect the full 3.6 amps since the measurement conditions are not realistic in terms actual light available. But it should be within 75% if the cells are good, honestly rated and correctly installed. And properly measured!

Comment

• Solaron
                  • Nov 2012

Well, I'm measuring the current from the cell with a multimeter (cheap yes). It tops out at .400mA. I use B grade solar cells from ML Solar which actually appear to be in great shape, better than they advertise them to be. I've built 6 solar panels, purchased pre-manufactured solar panels, and exposed them all to the most direct and potent sunlight i can with the same results each time. I never do see the 3.6 amps. Possibly I'm reading my meter wrong but i doubt it? Possibly B grade cells just suck? Curious if you've ever seen anything over 1 amp come from one 3x6 solar cell?

Comment

• inetdog
                    Super Moderator
                    • May 2012

Well, I'm measuring the current from the cell with a multimeter (cheap yes). It tops out at .400mA. I use B grade solar cells from ML Solar which actually appear to be in great shape, better than they advertise them to be. I've built 6 solar panels, purchased pre-manufactured solar panels, and exposed them all to the most direct and potent sunlight i can with the same results each time. I never do see the 3.6 amps. Possibly I'm reading my meter wrong but i doubt it? Possibly B grade cells just suck? Curious if you've ever seen anything over 1 amp come from one 3x6 solar cell?
                    What I was getting at was how are you physically making the connection from your multimeter to the cell? If there is a ten amp range, most meters require you to plug one of your meter leads into a different jack on the meter as well as to set the range switch properly.

Then just connect one lead to the + of the cell and the other to the -. If that still does not work right, check for a blown fuse inside the meter. (Often in the battery case.)

Comment

• bcroe
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2012

Panel Output

I hope it's understood that if a 1/2 volt 3.6A cell is cut in half, you could get
                      1/2 volt at 1.8A from each. Parallel them to restore the original output,
                      series will give 1 volt at 1.8A.

In building a panel of some size, it's my experience that some cells may
                      be damaged and restrict the total output. One way to find them is connect
                      a shunt or 0.1 ohm resistor across the output. Since I = E/R, the voltage
                      across the resistor, divided by 0.1 ohms (or multiply by 10), gives the
                      (nearly short circuit) current. 3.6A reads 0.36V.

If current is way down, measure the voltage across each individual cell,
                      carefully observing the polarity of each cell. Good cells will likely show
                      1/2 volt, bad cell(s) will show REVERSE POLARITY voltage, perhaps as
                      much as all the good cells combined. When the worst cell is found, short
                      it out and measure panel output current again. If it's still way down, test
                      again for the "next worse" cell. I run panels with a cell or 2 shorted, some
                      may want to try and replace the bad cell(s).

With lots of cells the test could start finding the worse column of cells, then
                      narrow it down to a specific cell. I showed a tester to automatically do this
                      on a thread in 2012. Bruce Roe
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Caliban
                        • Mar 2013

It's a Crystal. So cut it as one?

The vibrations from a Dremel by themselves will shatter it unless they're damped. That's why the guy who embedded them in epoxy was getting away with it. I don't think you could get a Dremel steady enough freehand. If it was me, I'd be thinking tile saw.....

Comment

• Jaiman
                          • Mar 2013

Jaiman

Originally posted by John1397
                          I built a solar panel using 3/4" X 3" cells and was wondering if the 6" X 6" cells break easier like if you hold them on the corner will they break the corner off very easy?

John
                          Was just reading your idea and thought maybe this is worth a try lay a piece of very hot straight copper wire along the line where you want the break and allow it to sit for 25-30secs and pour some cold water on module and if it reacts like glass it should crack along the line of wire(try on scrap first maybe) we used to take tops off beer bottles for electric fence insulators this way

Comment

Working...