Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John1397
    • Apr 2012

Solar cell breakage

I built a solar panel using 3/4" X 3" cells and was wondering if the 6" X 6" cells break easier like if you hold them on the corner will they break the corner off very easy?

John
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by John1397
    I built a solar panel using 3/4" X 3" cells and was wondering if the 6" X 6" cells break easier like if you hold them on the corner will they break the corner off very easy?

John
    Unless you score them first, similar to cutting glass, it is hard to predict just where the crack will happen or how far it will extend through the cell.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• FunGas
      • Aug 2012

which raises another question...

If I have a few cells left from my build, can I cut them into smaller bits to bump up the Voltage?

For example, I have four 4.25W 6"x6" cells like this:-

Can I cut each of them into 3 pieces to make a 6V array? Which way round should they be cut?
      Dem

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Cutting cells

Originally posted by FunGas
        If I have a few cells left from my build, can I cut them into
        smaller bits to bump up the Voltage? For example, I have four 4.25W 6"x6" cells like this:-

Can I cut each of them into 3 pieces to make a 6V array? Which way round should they be cut?
        In theory putting segments in series would multiply your voltage & divide your current. In practice
        cutting a delicate 6" cell is an extremely difficult thing. In addition, each resulting section must have
        terminals on both sides properly located to collect current over the cell surface. Bruce Roe

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Originally posted by bcroe
          In theory putting segments in series would multiply your voltage & divide your current. In practice
          cutting a delicate 6" cell is an extremely difficult thing. In addition, each resulting section must have
          terminals on both sides properly located to collect current over the cell surface. Bruce Roe
          So, even in theory, you could only divide your 6" cell into three working segments if both the front and back of the cell have three solder tabs and they are properly positioned to allow you to divide the cell area equally. If you can do that, then just wire them tab-to-tab in series in the same way you would put whole cells in series to make a panel.

Comment

• conntaxman
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2011

cutting cell

Originally posted by inetdog
            So, even in theory, you could only divide your 6" cell into three working segments if both the front and back of the cell have three solder tabs and they are properly positioned to allow you to divide the cell area equally. If you can do that, then just wire them tab-to-tab in series in the same way you would put whole cells in series to make a panel.
            You can cut the cells pretty Easy, just use a Dremel with a cutting wheel on it. I have cut many. You can cut them into as many as you can and still have the tabbing wire on the front,But the back ,their are usually only 3 spots to connect a tabbing wire of wire.
            or just build a small laser.
            John

Comment

• FunGas
              • Aug 2012

I tried scoring with a knife (several times) and a dremel, both attempts failed. If I had a laser that would cut them, then it'd be another story.

Motto:- no, you can't cut cells...

will post pics of my first panel next week...
              Dem

Comment

• inetdog
                Super Moderator
                • May 2012

I tried scoring with a knife (several times) and a dremel, both attempts failed. If I had a laser that would cut them, then it'd be another story.

Two questions:
                1. Have you tried diamond or steel glass scoring device rather than a knife? Creating a stress line leading to a clean fracture is not dependent on a deep score or many overlapping score lines, but a single clean score.
                2. Is there any kind of coating on top of the silicon on the top or bottom of the cell which could interfere with scoring or fracturing? Like a laminated car windshield.

Some people have reported success, so what makes the difference?

Comment

• conntaxman
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2011

cutting cell

are you using a thin cut off wheel on your dremel ? and lay it down on a piece of cardboard,dont hold it in your hand. I have cut many this way. I have tried a knife and razor blade , and a glass cutter wont work because you have to push down on it.
                  You had your dremel on High Speed.
                  if you know anyone with a plasma cutting machine, that might work.They use them in welding shops.
                  John
                  good luck

Comment

• Solaron
                    • Nov 2012

Cutting solar cells

Hi, I'm new to this Thread but though i'd throw in my success story. I have successfully encased many 3 x 6 solar cells in epoxy resin and then cut them with my mitter saw (flawless cuts) into four individual cells. Each individual cell still produces .5v. The epoxy needs to be about 1/8 inch thick. So, in other words, i made 2 volts from .5 volts. I have also developed a way to create 3v from one 3 x 6 solar cell.

Comment

• conntaxman
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2011

solar cell breakage

Originally posted by Solaron
                      Hi, I'm new to this Thread but though i'd throw in my success story. I have successfully encased many 3 x 6 solar cells in epoxy resin and then cut them with my mitter saw (flawless cuts) into four individual cells. Each individual cell still produces .5v. The epoxy needs to be about 1/8 inch thick. So, in other words, i made 2 volts from .5 volts. I have also developed a way to create 3v from one 3 x 6 solar cell.
                      Glad to hear you cut the cells like you wanted.What are you going to build?
                      John - good luck

Comment

• Solaron
                        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by conntaxman
                        Glad to hear you cut the cells like you wanted.What are you going to build?
                        John - good luck
                        Well, I,m always looking for ways to make homemade solar panels smaller. I've built a few and had good luck I guess but it just always seems to evolve and get more interesting to me. I built a solar generator that will eventually be tied to this small panel I'm making along with all the other panels currently tied to it.

Comment

• conntaxman
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2011

solar cell breakage

Originally posted by Solaron
                          Well, I,m always looking for ways to make homemade solar panels smaller. I've built a few and had good luck I guess but it just always seems to evolve and get more interesting to me. I built a solar generator that will eventually be tied to this small panel I'm making along with all the other panels currently tied to it.
                          when you say that you got more voltage out of you 3x6 cell by cutting them in half of three's. To power any thing you will also Need the amp's. even though you get more voltage you will still have the same amp's.
                          I have tried the epoxy resin, but in my case some of the cells got broke because I had some air Bubble's in it,and it Freezed . so all i can think of is the in the Air that was in bubble had moisture and it froze. Also some of the epoxy cracked.So i cant use that in the north east with 0 -F. temps.
                          I see a lot of the guys use Sylgard 184,and Pour it on them.
                          To SAVE on that stuff, why not just use a paint brush and brush the sylgard onto the front ONLY. the back dont need to be sealed.
                          I brushed a uv coating on some that I made and it's working still 2YR.
                          Now i just put the cells in between two pieces of glass and put in silica gel that removes moisture. Just like thermopain windows. So far 4 years, their still just like i made them.

Comment

• Solaron
                            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by conntaxman
                            when you say that you got more voltage out of you 3x6 cell by cutting them in half of three's. To power any thing you will also Need the amp's. even though you get more voltage you will still have the same amp's.
                            I have tried the epoxy resin, but in my case some of the cells got broke because I had some air Bubble's in it,and it Freezed . so all i can think of is the in the Air that was in bubble had moisture and it froze. Also some of the epoxy cracked.So i cant use that in the north east with 0 -F. temps.
                            I see a lot of the guys use Sylgard 184,and Pour it on them.
                            To SAVE on that stuff, why not just use a paint brush and brush the sylgard onto the front ONLY. the back dont need to be sealed.
                            I brushed a uv coating on some that I made and it's working still 2YR.
                            Now i just put the cells in between two pieces of glass and put in silica gel that removes moisture. Just like thermopain windows. So far 4 years, their still just like i made them.
                            Four pictures attached.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• russ
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2009

Great idea! If you cut them into small enough pieces you could get maybe a gigawatt out of a dozen cells then.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...