Buying A grade solar cells

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

LoL... Nice box.
    But ya... Im right about the volts. Just not mono cells will produce those volts.

If you goto your local store for A trickle charger solar cell. you will know what I mean. Because those cells produce lots of volts when its sunny out, just not when its dim out.

Comment

• Zardiw
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by bcroe

That looks like a more powerful box than mine. But with 8A and very little voltage, I wouldn't expect accurate
      results from those 2 clip leads. I had 2 short feed wires for each cell surface (cause there were 2 runs) that I
      actually soldered on for the test. It has load resistors in each corner, a cell crack in on quadrant will probably
      be detected. Bruce Roe
      Results are accurate enough. It's not amperage by itself that needs larger wires........it's Power/Watts. And there's only 4 watts Max going through those wires. And not really concerned about actual numeric accuracy.........just want to be able to compare different cells.

That meter is rated for 10 amps and reads about an amp higher than my professional VOA meter......which has a 20 amp setting. So that explains the difference in readings.

z

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by GoldCobra
        LoL... Nice box.
        But ya... Im right about the volts. Just not mono cells will produce those volts.

If you goto your local store for A trickle charger solar cell. you will know what I mean. Because those cells produce lots of volts when its sunny out, just not when its dim out.
        Basically not true. The only reason that they produce lower voltage in dim light is that they have a high internal leakage resistance and when the actual output of the cell drops below a certain current the leakage resistance pulls the voltage down.
        The physics behind PV requires that the "ideal" open circuit voltage is essentially independent of the light level. It is only when you get into real rather than ideal devices and they have really poor low light performance that the supposed open circuit voltage will seem to drop.
        If you connect a constant value load resistor to a set of cells, then the voltage will certainly drop as the light level goes down, but only because the cells are acting as current sources.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Cells perform better than others
          Mono makes hardly any volts. But plenty of amps
          Whats more to tell?

Im not sure what you are trying to explain here... I have other cells that produce way more volts. but no amps. complete opposite ends here.

Comment

0.60Volts at 5.80 amps

Why are these mono cells producing less volts. Thats stupid.

Comment

Am I missing something? why not more volts

Comment

• inetdog
                Super Moderator
                • May 2012

Am I missing something? why not more volts
                What you are missing is the distinction between cells, which have one positive surface electrode and one negative surface electrode on the other face and panels which are made up of multiple cells.
                The tricky part is that in large panels it is easy to see the cell boundaries and the flat tabbing foil wires connecting them while in the case of small panels the wiring may be built into the single block of silicon and it may be difficult to identify the individual cells. They are there neverthelesss.
                All integrated "things" that produce more than .5V are actually panels, not individual cells.

Comment

ive no idea what your talking about.
                  all i know is these mono cells produce hardly any volts.
                  whats wrong with making a cell with both volts and amps equal to eachother?

Comment

• inetdog
                    Super Moderator
                    • May 2012

ive no idea what your talking about.
                    all i know is these mono cells produce hardly any volts.
                    whats wrong with making a cell with both volts and amps equal to eachother?
                    If you have no idea what I am talking about you need more knowledge of basic electricity than I can even try to teach you here.

A solar cell is a piece of solid state electronics whose operation is governed by the laws of physics. The voltage that you get is determined by the properties of the materials from which it is made, but more importantly there is a limit to the voltage you can get based on the frequency of light that is absorbed to produce that charge separation.
                    When working with light in the visible range and below, where most of the available energy of sunlight is concentrated, you cannot get much more than 1V maximum. Period. With silicon, whether monocrystaline, polycrystaline or amorphous you get .5V. Period.

Comment

Dude Shut up I dont want to talk to you if you going to be that ignorant and tell me I need to learn electricity, That statement I feel you come here to sh!t and piss on me..
                      Dont reply to me if you going to be ignorant like that. I

I understand everyone else. Except you. So piss off you going to be like that.

All im saying is they need MORE VOLTAGE IN MY OPINION
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2016, 01:17 PM.

Comment

How about you need to learn how to be more civil and not put others down with your talk and nonsense. please How about you go learn more electricity. Cus What ive read is both volts and amps are IMPORTANT. AND WAY I SEE IT THESE CELLS PRODUCE FACK* ALL FOR VOLTS>

Go ahead and Bann me its you who caused me to react like this with your premature statement.

Comment

• inetdog
                          Super Moderator
                          • May 2012

Dude Shut up I dont want to talk to you if you going to be that ignorant and tell me I need to learn electricity, That statement I feel you come here to sh!t and piss on me..
                          Dont reply to me if you going to be ignorant like that. I

I understand everyone else. Except you. So piss off you going to be like that.

All im saying is they need MORE VOLTAGE IN MY OPINION
                          The way you get more voltage is to put many cells in series to make up a panel.
                          Not difficult to do, and the way all panels are made.

Comment

Im specifically only Talking about the Cell. 1 Cell.

Comment

• inetdog
                              Super Moderator
                              • May 2012

Im specifically only Talking about the Cell. 1 Cell.
                              Limiting the discussion to the Cell, 1 Cell.

A. There is no practical way to increase the voltage. It is simple quantum physics.
                              B. There is no need to increase the voltage of 1 Cell since it is so easy to combine them into a series circuit.

Comment

I hope your wrong becuase Im doing tests.

Comment

Working...