Cutting solar cells

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inetdog

Electricity does not work that way, no matter what kind of diodes you use and where you put them.

You cannot "push" a high voltage low current source into a high current low voltage cell to get high voltage and high current at the same time.
    Shouldnt the Electrons want to go to the Protons and Neutrons created by the mono cell.

There must be a damn way. I dont care if there must be circuity something with the solar cells themselves. There must be a way to inject the Volts into the mono solar cell.

Comment

I think Electronics have to play a big part with the solar cells themselves.

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by GoldCobra

Shouldnt the Electrons want to go to the Protons and Neutrons created by the mono cell.

There must be a damn way. I dont care if there must be circuity something with the solar cells themselves. There must be a way to inject the Volts into the mono solar cell.

The one kind of circuitry that could do part of what you want would be to get two DC-DC converters (each MPPT) and use one to convert high amps low volts to medium amps medium volts and the other to convert high volts low amps to medium amps medium volts. You could then put the two outputs into parallel or into series.

For what I hope is the last time:

If you have a bunch of cells that produce 1A at 10V and another bunch that produces 10A at 1V, then they each produce 10 watts For a total of 20 watts. Okay so far?

If you could combine them in some horribly complex way using two DC to DC converters you could get, for example, 4A at 5v for a total of 20 watts. Watts in equals watts out (- losses).
        You are proposing to link the two together to produce 10A at 10V (which is 100 watts) instead of just 20 watts.
        Cannot be done!

BTW, no solar cells produce protons and neutrons. They just move electrons around making areas that are more positive (fewer electrons) and more negative (more electrons.)

It is beginning to look as if you are deliberately trolling, and I am tempted to close this thread. It is not going anywhere.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Okay. Well atleast DC to DC converters I will look into this. I dont know why you think im trolling.
          Please dont get all negative with me, and threaten to close my page.
          Im only looking for answers

Comment

• jflorey2
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2015

Okay. Well atleast DC to DC converters I will look into this. I dont know why you think im trolling.
            Well, because you are asking questions, then getting mad at the answers, and then (apparently) ignoring them. If that's incorrect, then perhaps you could phrase your replies differently so people don't get that impression.

Comment

• inetdog
              Super Moderator
              • May 2012

Please dont get all negative with me, and threaten to close my page.
              Im only looking for answers
              Not threatening, just speculating.

Basically, rather than use DC to DC converters to get a compromise voltage from a mismatched set of cell configurations, why not just put the cells together into a compatible group in the first place.
              One large mono cell is not going to be useful for anything, no matter what you combine it with. A group of 36 or more identical cells of this type could be made into one panel to charge 12V batteries.
              Or 4 of them cut up into nine pieces each to make a small 36 cell panel.
              Just don't try to mix the two setups unless you can match either the voltage or the current between them.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Perhaps I should talk to A electronics expert.
                You saying not even PNP's or capacitators. or something in that nature wont work?
                What if I made the Amps and Voltage Greater to the Mono Cells.

Im not trying to TRoll just lookn for solutions or suggestions

Comment

Can you draw me schematics of this DC DC Converter Becuase frankly, I dont understand what you do with them in solar cell configurations of series and parallel

Comment

• foo1bar
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2014

"Can you draw me schematics of this DC DC Converter"

I could find one - I don't think I could do a very good one from memory. But generally people just buy a DC-DC converter.

I think you need to back up a bit.

Start with "I have X number of cells each doing ~Y volts and ~Z amps. Together they will output about X*Y*Z watts. I want to have N volts with M amps. Is there a way I can combine these cells to get N volts and M amps?"

If N*M is less than X*Y*Z, and N Is some multiple of the cell voltage, there's probably a way to do it easily.
                    If N*M is less than X*Y*Z and N is not a multiple of the cell voltage, then you may need something to convert the voltage (probably at a cost of 10-20% of your power, and requiring you to spend a few bucks)

And I'd recommend spending some time learning about electronics and conservation of energy. Voltage * amps * time = energy. You can transform it (ex. more voltage, less amps with some lost to heat in that transformation by the DC-DC converter) And you can store the energy and use it over a shorter or longer time via batteries
                    But you won't get 200W out of 20W of solar cells.

I don't know a good electronics book/online-course - I'm sure there are some out there, but I don't know which ones are good (ie. engaging and informative)

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar
                      "Can you draw me schematics of this DC DC Converter"

I could find one - I don't think I could do a very good one from memory. But generally people just buy a DC-DC converter.

I think you need to back up a bit.

Start with "I have X number of cells each doing ~Y volts and ~Z amps. Together they will output about X*Y*Z watts. I want to have N volts with M amps. Is there a way I can combine these cells to get N volts and M amps?"

If N*M is less than X*Y*Z, and N Is some multiple of the cell voltage, there's probably a way to do it easily.
                      If N*M is less than X*Y*Z and N is not a multiple of the cell voltage, then you may need something to convert the voltage (probably at a cost of 10-20% of your power, and requiring you to spend a few bucks)

And I'd recommend spending some time learning about electronics and conservation of energy. Voltage * amps * time = energy. You can transform it (ex. more voltage, less amps with some lost to heat in that transformation by the DC-DC converter) And you can store the energy and use it over a shorter or longer time via batteries
                      But you won't get 200W out of 20W of solar cells.

I don't know a good electronics book/online-course - I'm sure there are some out there, but I don't know which ones are good (ie. engaging and informative)
                      Ive been reading alot On electronics myself. If there is any great tutorials on it please share. Ive just been picking randomly through google on electronic manuals and printing them and reading them. Ive read over 300 pages in past month.

So Here are some small cells both garden lamp cells and epoxy and other. Different various readings.

So Say we use 23 pcs. of 1.20V x 0.30 amp. To make more than 6.80Amp Mono solar cell but adding- 27.6Volts through mono cell. And having diodes etc.
                      Does that make sense?
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2016, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• foo1bar
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2014

Ive been reading alot On electronics myself. If there is any great tutorials on it please share. Ive just been picking randomly through google on electronic manuals and printing them and reading them. Ive read over 300 pages in past month.

So Here are some small cells both garden lamp cells and epoxy and other. Different various readings.

So Say we use 23 pcs. of 1.20V x 0.30 amp. To make more than 6.80Amp Mono solar cell but adding- 27.6Volts through mono cell. And having diodes etc.
                        Does that make sense?

Think of it as like a set of blocks with a specific height and width.
                        So you have 23 blocks that are 1.2 tall and 0.3 wide.
                        You can rearrange them to be 23*1.2 tall and 0.3 wide.
                        Or to be 1.2 tall and 23*0.3 wide.
                        But if you want 23*1.2 tall and 23*.3 wide you need 529 blocks.

If you want 5 tall and .9 wide, you'd have more than enough blocks - but they don't quite come out to exactly that - but you can use a saw (DC-DC regulator) to get it to be exactly 5. And like sawing wood/plastic, you'll lose some of the area (power) in the process. (I admit the DC-DC regulator is stretching the metaphor a bit)

Hopefully you can see from this why you can't get 27.6V*6.9A (190.44W) using only 8.28W (23 * 1.2V*0.3A) of solar cells

Often water is used as a good electric circuit analogy - but I think the visualization of blocks is probably best for this basic explanation.
                        Last edited by foo1bar; 04-01-2016, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

> unintended crack propagation

is going to get you. When cells are mfg'd, they are sawn apart with a diamond saw, laser cut, or water jet cut, After cutting, they are annealed, either in a furnace or with a laser. This keeps microcracks at the cut edge, from propagating across the cell which would ruin the whole thing, After cutting and annealing, they have the leads silk-screened on, then any coatings applied. Cells which break from handling, or you intentionally cut, will not have the annealing treatment, and chances are good in a couple years, cracks will grow and ruin them. But it's all for fun and learning.
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Guest commented
                            Editing a comment
                            or diamond file apparently
                        • jflorey2
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2015

Perhaps I should talk to A electronics expert.
                          You saying not even PNP's or capacitators. or something in that nature wont work?
                          PNP's are a type of bipolar transistor. "Capcitators" (capacitors) store small amounts of energy and present a low impedance to high frequencies. Yes, talking to an electronics expert would be a good idea, although first it might be a good idea for you to decide what you want to do to begin with.
                          What if I made the Amps and Voltage Greater to the Mono Cells.
                          How about this:
                          Decide how much power you need/want
                          Decide what voltage it should be at
                          Tell us and we'll suggest a solar array to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2
                            PNP's are a type of bipolar transistor. "Capcitators" (capacitors) store small amounts of energy and present a low impedance to high frequencies. Yes, talking to an electronics expert would be a good idea, although first it might be a good idea for you to decide what you want to do to begin with.

How about this:
                            Decide how much power you need/want
                            Decide what voltage it should be at
                            Tell us and we'll suggest a solar array to do that.

Great Thanks.
                            I do want to start a project soon with USB Charger. There is a set amount of volt and amp that the USB chargers run.
                            I bought these little controllers not to long ago. I think I will pretty much use small Mono Solar cells for these. I bought a bunch, they are fairly cheap.
                            I guess all I have to do is meet the 6-20V or 5V 2A requirement to make it function. And connect the leads to the Negative and Positive on the controller.

DC 6V-20V to 5V 2A USB Charger Regulator Solar Panel Fold bag

Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2016, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I checked out how much volt and amp the tiny cells make.

0.80A
                              0.55V

So I guess the cell remains almost as much volt as a larger complete cell. Just less amp.

If anyone interested in the cells http://www.ebay.com/itm/252340165663
                              You wont find them cheaper on ebay for 100pcs especially mono ones. Ive not seen anybody else sell mono ones.
                              Most times I see people sell photovoltaic ones for 15 bucks for 100pcs. also note that the conductivity pattern is not exactly the same on the front side of cells in yims pictures.
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2016, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...