This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ecusolar
    replied
    It doesn't take that long Wayne, I have about 1.5 liters of air in the space if I'm not too wrong and it takes about 4 minutes until the pump don't get more out.
    Next time I'll connect a vacuum meter to see how is the vacuum rate.

Originally posted by DeltaFox 25
    Thank you for doing that . I'm honered and I'll read and tell you what is what .
    I like the pictures also.

I seen where you had the needle and were taking air out that way , it sounded good .I wander if there could be a way to do it faster. I don't know how long would it take with the needle??

I can sent you some snow that will cool things off. Ha Ha

Leave a comment:

• DeltaFox 25
    replied
    Thank you for doing that . I'm honered and I'll read and tell you what is what .
    I like the pictures also.

I seen where you had the needle and were taking air out that way , it sounded good .I wander if there could be a way to do it faster. I don't know how long would it take with the needle??

I can sent you some snow that will cool things off. Ha Ha

Leave a comment:

• ecusolar
    replied
    Different climas, different panel sealing

I'll send the manual first to you to revise it before posting it in public.

You know this sealing question depends a lot of the temperature you are using the panels I think.

Look, in the cost of EC we have lowest temperature at about 25C and highest (in shadow) of about 40C, it never is below zero what can make that the sealing gets a lot of stress, that's why I say that the vacuum should work enough in my clima zone.

I'm still looking aroung for a new way to seal the panels . If I can find a new way to use something else I'm look into it.
    I think they use argon in light bulbs also. I have worked with nitrogen but in a different way then solar. I thought your vaccuum would be real good. I don't know about two pices of glass. One on top and the other on the bottom.
    I think your manual will be very good. I can't wait to see it.

Leave a comment:

• DeltaFox 25
    replied
    I'm still looking aroung for a new way to seal the panels . If I can find a new way to use something else I'm look into it.
    I think they use argon in light bulbs also. I have worked with nitrogen but in a different way then solar. I thought your vaccuum would be real good. I don't know about two pices of glass. One on top and the other on the bottom.
    I think your manual will be very good. I can't wait to see it.

Leave a comment:

• ecusolar
    replied
    Argon

I'm actually reading about the idea from Bill to fill the space between the glass with argon but it is soluble in water which means that the huminity won't get out.
    I'm still convinced that the vacuum I'm working with is the easiest way to isulate the cells in my weather conditions.
    Using SylGuard would take the small economic advantage I have against wholesale panels away and I'm going to take the risk that the panels have a shorter life.

This is from wikipedia:

Argon has approximately the same solubility in water as oxygen gas and is 2.5 times more soluble in water than nitrogen gas.

Leave a comment:

• ecusolar
    replied
    Great to have you here man, I'm blocked at the moment as my panels are finished and I'm waiting for more material: cells, the inverters, controllers etc.

I do some work on a detailed PDF manual how to copy my panels but I need the new cells to make photos.

Yesterday I cut badly my finger with the bloody glass of the panels, I forgot to grind the edges on one glass, well that can happen, but I didn't need any doc to get it cured.

Actually I'm preparing the building where all will be installed, after seeing the foto "tri-tips Mike" posted of a burned down roof I decided to install them on top of my water cistern building wich is 4 meters away from my house. It has just enough place to install 18 panels and has amost no inclination which I don't need as I'm direct under the ecuator.

Yes your right . I like everything you say and I read it all. How's it going today? it's still alittel cold here so I'm waiting for my new way to heat the garage and thats coming wednesday . I still have a lot top get done.

Leave a comment:

• DeltaFox 25
    replied
    Yes your right . I like everything you say and I read it all. How's it going today? it's still alittel cold here so I'm waiting for my new way to heat the garage and thats coming wednesday . I still have a lot top get done.

Leave a comment:

• ecusolar
    replied
    Hi Wayne, you are my solar friend from the other forum, aren't you?

I thought everything was great. I hope you have all good solar cells panels.

Leave a comment:

• DeltaFox 25
    replied
    I thought everything was great. I hope you have all good solar cells panels.

Leave a comment:

• ecusolar
    replied
    Hi Chris

Nice to meet you here, I saw your website last week and was reading all with interest, congrats, you've done a good job.

I'll follow the links and may come back with some questions.

Originally posted by doctersnuggles
    Hello Joe,
    I am Chris from the Netherlands. I am also building my own panels under the name "doctersnuggles" .

Regards ,
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• doctersnuggles
    replied
    Hello Joe,
    I am Chris from the Netherlands. I am also building my own panels under the name "doctersnuggles" .
    My websites are allready mentioned by Jason on solarpaneltalk.
    But furthermore my project has been discussed on the www.olino.org website In Dutch but also in English :

and also
    Omdat ik vind dat de prijzen van zonnepanelen nog erg hoog zijn, en omdat de subsidieregeling in Nederland nou niet echt om over te juichen is, ben ik begonnen

There are some nice comments overthere talking about some questions that you have.......

Regards ,
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• ecusolar
    replied
    So far I've made 9 panels, 8 are identical and I purchased cells for 9 more panels.
    In total I'll have 18 panels of 60W but as time goes I might want to go for more, maybe factory made ones, they are getting pretty cheap now.

I'll use only vacuum or try the argon idea from Bill, I also had once the plan to fill the space with oil.

But for the clima which we have in EC I think the vacuum is more than enough, we are closed to the raining season and time will tell.

Originally posted by Jason

So how many panels have you made total?

Leave a comment:

• Jason
    replied
    Hey Joe, here are a couple threads regarding encapsulation:

Do you really want to build your own solar panels? Discuss, share ideas, and get questions answered in this DIY solar panel forum.

Do you really want to build your own solar panels? Discuss, share ideas, and get questions answered in this DIY solar panel forum.

So how many panels have you made total?

Leave a comment:

• ecusolar
    replied
    Thanks Jason, the proyect is still in baby shoes, like we say in Germany, for further updates I need to wait for my inverters (grid tied and off grid) to arrive and hope that I'll be ready completely in the middle to end of january 2010.

In my previous posts have been some questions, maybe, if someone has the time to read and know the answers, can post 'em.

Originally posted by Jason
    Thanks very much for the detailed thread of your project Joe. I'm happy to have you here.

Check your private message, I just sent you one

Leave a comment:

• Jason
    replied
    Thanks very much for the detailed thread of your project Joe. I'm happy to have you here.

Check your private message, I just sent you one

Leave a comment:

Working...