Type of Solder? High Tin% or Silver

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

the gold standard for solder is 63/37 Sn/Pb electronic solder. It is proven, and used in EVERY spacecrafts solar arrays. Changing the solder always has less optimum results than the 63/37 solder. For electrical conductivity, you have long strips of copper soldered over a wide area on each cell, the current density is quite low in the solder area, and therefore, the voltage drop is low.
    If you deviate from 63/37, your results are lessened. The higher temps for silver bearing solder, dissolve the metal plating off the cells very quickly, and solder of no kind sticks to silicon......
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

What metals are you refering to.
      The manufacture states the back surface field is aluminum
      And the 3 bus bar of solar cell is aluminum/silver.

What alloy are you refering to and where on the solar cell. I just like to know so I have idea what metals you refering to.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Sn = Tin
        Pb = Lead
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Sorry I was referring to the metal Mike is talking about

"dissolve the metal plating off the cells very quickly,"

There is no metal plating other than the Aluminum/Silver for the 3 busbar and the aluminum surface field of the back of the solar cell?
          Im not to familiar of all the alloys in a solar cell.
          Just lookn for enlightenment and knowledge of this matter.

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Front and back sides of PV cells are plated with a 3 atom thick layer of aluminum. Then a special metal paste is applied to the cell, and it is cooked in a furnace to melt and bond the metal paste to the aluminum layer. The pasted layer is what you solder to, and it can / will dissolve into the molten solder if you are sloppy in making your tab connections.
            The front side has a special "Finger" pattern pasted on, to shade the least amount of cell, but not be too resistive. The back side is usually all pasted, or 2 large stripes.

here's a couple articles on it

ftp://ftp.ecn.nl/pub/www/library/rep...05/rx05006.pdf

You are soldering to a special layered stack of nearly transparent metal (the light has to get thru the metal to get to the cell underneath,

You need to do your own research if you want to question sound advice. I can only point you to it, I can't make you believe.
            Let google be your friend solar cell metallization solar cell soldering solar cell soldering techniques

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

Thanks bro. You know this more than me So its good I get sound advice. Otherwise I be pouring over information that I wouldnt get nothing out of. But seeing as you know I will be contributing some pretty kewl stuff and showing off some of my work.

Comment

Im having problems soldering with the Kester soldering.
                Does anyone know what Heat I should set my Weller at to do this
                I finally got around to testing kester on my solar cells.

Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Also is this a good enough Weller for the job
                  cus this is the one i have.

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

your spool of solder should have a spec on it, look that up, and find out the melt temperature, you iron should be at least 50F - 100F hotter. And soldering is a learned technique, with the best gear, and perfect conditions, a learner might take 3 weeks of daily practice to get it "good enough".

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250
                      your spool of solder should have a spec on it, look that up, and find out the melt temperature, you iron should be at least 50F - 100F hotter. And soldering is a learned technique, with the best gear, and perfect conditions, a learner might take 3 weeks of daily practice to get it "good enough".
                      Okay Great! Thanks alot Mike.
                      I havnt practiced with Kester yet.

I just gave it a few goes this morning and things are working better. Its actually bonding this time. I dont know why I couldnt yesterday
                      Turning out much better now.

Comment

What kind of Tips do you recommend
                        Just say 1-12 the number of the Tip

Comment

I set it at 85F. I still have some inperfections. But alot of them are nice and straight.
                          Just wondering if the details need to be better. I never looked at a real solar panel up close before to compare how well im doing.
                          I wish I had reference to look at and see how I can improve or something.
                          its really hard to see, and the sun made it more shiney

I just wish I can get it consistant. And I think the needle type tip is not doing great. I think I need something with a flat base at the front of the tip perhaps.
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2016, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Strange This guy is using Lead Free Silver solder no Flux for his mono solar cells

Is this okay. I know I was using Lead free solder and uses just as much heat as the Kester with Lead
                            heres his youtube

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

The best and easiest is old fashioned tin-lead solder Sn63 Pb37 Elastic, reliable, and banned. Hard to find now, but most of the lead free replacements require more heat and are much more expensive.
                              Tip You want a "screwdriver" style tip, same width as your tab ribbon. A bit of solder on the tip & tab and you should be able to solder the length of the cell in one pass and have it come out mirror flat. IF the cell is clean, fluxed, and the tab ribbon is pre-tinned (most are) The solder you add, is to improve thermal contact from the tip to the tab ribbon, and the tab ribbon transfers the heat to the cell which is sweat soldered. If you try to add solder to the cell-tab interface, you will dissolve the metal off the cell and ruin it most of the time.

Comment

in one pass and have it come out mirror flat.

Thats exactly what Im looking forward to. I have some flux pens, and sadly some pens come out gushing with flux all on the cell, These pens seem unreliable leaving cell looking dumb.

I also wear latex gloves when handling this.

I think Im going to get something heavy and cut my tabbing and set it under that to staighten itself out. I just hate the curls all the time with tabbing, thats very hard to control.

I bet that screwdriver tip will do the trick! Thanks
                                Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2016, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...