Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elhifnawyplast
    • Jan 2013

Is a 60/40 Rosin core solder good enough

But by far the most important things are to use low temperature solder and to use a clean iron, of the right temperature, properly handled, to keep the heating of the cell to a minimum.

Is a 60/40 Rosin core solder good enough for tabbing 6" solar cells.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Solder

[QUOTE=elhifnawyplast;]Is a 60/40 Rosin core solder good enough for tabbing 6" solar cells./QUOTE]

My opinion, YES. Been using it for everything forever. Some 50-50 was also sold, but not as
      good here. Bruce Roe

Comment

• elhifnawyplast
        • Jan 2013

60/40 solder diameter

For the 60/40 rosin core solder there are two diameters 0.032" (0.8 mm) and 0.064" (1.6 mm ),which is better for tabbing solar cells

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Solder

My opinion, there used to be an in between size (.046"?) about ideal. Failing
          that, the .032" will get the job done. The .025" is too fine except for special
          work; the .064" will get most work done but sometimes a little coarse. Your
          results may vary. Bruce Roe

Comment

• elhifnawyplast
            • Jan 2013

i will use 60/40 size 0.032"

My opinion, there used to be an in between size (.046"?) about ideal. Failing
            that, the .032" will get the job done. The .025" is too fine except for special
            work; the .064" will get most work done but sometimes a little coarse. Your
            results may vary. Bruce Roe
            Thank you Bruce Roe for your advice for soldering and tabbing solar cells, i will use 60/40 size 0.032" if i did not find size 0.046".

Comment

• elhifnawyplast
              • Jan 2013

Tabbing hints

I have noted on youtubs tips for tabbing solar cells that in quite a lot of videos they do not use solder on the top side of the cells (-) side,but only use solder at the bottom side (+) side, is that correct to do ?
              Last edited by russ; 04-20-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by elhifnawyplast
                I have noted on youtubs tips for tabbing solar cells that in quite a lot of videos they do not use solder on the top side of the cells (-) side,but only use solder at the bottom side (+) side, is that correct to do ?
                Pay little attention to the youtube stuff - you have no idea if the individual has actually done the task or not.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• elhifnawyplast
                  • Jan 2013

Tabbing Hints

Pay little attention to the youtube stuff - you have no idea if the individual has actually done the task or not.

Do you mean it is advisable to solder with solder the front ( - ) side and back ( + ) side, i wanted only to reduce the thickness of the soldered tabs, to increase success in capsulation.

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by elhifnawyplast
                    Do you mean it is advisable to solder with solder the front ( - ) side and back ( + ) side, i wanted only to reduce the thickness of the soldered tabs, to increase success in capsulation.
                    I mean I don't know - have never done it but the same holds true for many on youtube - they are just putting on a show. Someone will come along with a decent reply I hope.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• FunGas
                      • Aug 2012

Yes, 1.6mm diameter 60/40 lead/tin solder is fine for tabbing front and back.
                      My iron was set to around 210°C & I worked quickly with a medium or big bit.

I used the sheet of glass from an old scanner to work on, but anything flat and hard will do.
                      Try not to solder on a painted wooden board, the heat from the job will stick the cell to the surface and pulling it off without damage is an art.

The flux in 60/40 solder has a tendancy to spatter everywhere, a small cloth or tissue over the adjacent cells will prevent that causing a problem.

Before you begin joining the tabbed cells together, make up a spacer for the individual cells and a jig for keeping them in line (straight).
                      My jig was simply 2 straight bits of wood clamped together in a right-angle, about 1.5m long

I should say that all of my soldering was not perfect, some was more raised than the rest, but you can run the iron along the tab to take the worst out just fine.

Try and do everything in stages, measure and cut the tabs approximately, solder the fronts, then the backs, then join them together - you will optimise every technique of every stage easily this way.

Finally, use a flux pen, don't ruin your cells trying get away without using one.
                      Dem

Comment

• elhifnawyplast
                        • Jan 2013

Dear Dem i do not understand what you mean by

don't ruin your cells trying get away without using one.

Comment

• green
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2012

I've found that you don't really need to add any solder on the front of the cells, the solder on the tabbing wire is sufficient. You just need to keep your iron nice and clean and tin your tip once and a while. The back of the cells need a little extra solder. That's what I've found anyways.

Comment

• elhifnawyplast
                            • Jan 2013

I've found that you don't really need to add any solder on the front of the cells, the solder on the tabbing wire is sufficient. You just need to keep your iron nice and clean and tin your tip once and a while. The back of the cells need a little extra solder. That's what I've found anyways.
                            Thanks for the reply,I have seen in most of youtubs videos they do not solder the top ( - ) side with solder and only use the tabbing wires and i wanted to be sure from someone who practically did it and you did it ,thats right ?.

Mod note - this makes four times I have to go in and reduce the type size. - next time I promise I just delete the post
                            Last edited by russ; 04-21-2013, 07:59 AM. Reason: reduced type size

Comment

• FunGas
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by FunGas
                              Finally, use a flux pen, don't ruin your cells trying get away without using one.
                              Cells are pretty hard (if impossible) to tab without using a flux pen.
                              The amount of heat you'll need to solder without one will warp the cell.

For something like $5, it's well worth it. To use, draw where you want to solder before the heat goes on.
                              Dem

Comment

• bcroe
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jan 2012

Solder

My experience, the flux pen, tabbing wire, and cells are a process that goes together. I
                                have soldered a lot, but no other combination worked for me on these cells. Both the
                                tabbing wire & flux pen seem easy to come by either with a cell purchase or just online.

Regular solder is fine for joining tabbing wire to itself or regular electrical terminals.
                                Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...