X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frizzlefry
    • Dec 2012

One last look before we sign for Sunpower system

I had 5 companies bid the project. I specified the new X21 series panel. Negligible price increase compared to E20. Suprising tidbit about the E20, no more black backing for future production.

Location Southern CA (Orange County)
    Utility = SCE

(24) Sunpower X21-345 Panels - 3 strings of 8 panels
    (1) SMA 8000US inverter
    System Cost = $37,100
    CSI Rebate = $1474
    Out of Pocket = $35,626
    Tax Credit = $10,687.80
    Incentive = $500 rebate after install complete
    Net Cost = $24,438.20

DC STC Rating = 8280 kW
    DC PTC Rating = 7685 kW
    CEC-AC Rating = 7377 kW
    CSI Rating = 7376 kW
    First yr production = 12,785 kWh
    Current annual usage = 14,200 kWh

Gross Cost/kW DC = $4.48
    Net Cost/kW DC = $ 2.95

This is an all cash purchase. No financing. Just curious if any one has any comments or if I'm missing something here. 10% less than the next closest bid.
  • craeay
    • Apr 2013

It's better than what I have....

It's better than what I have....

Can I ask for your contractor's name?

The bid that I received was:

Place: Southern CA (Southbay)
    Provider: SCE

Solar Panels: 24 - SunPower x21-335
    Inverter: SMA SB8000
    8.04kW
    Annual Output: 12,029 kWh

System Price: $42,500
    CSI Rebate: ($1,761)
    Fed Tax Credit: ($12,222)
    Net Cost: $28,517

Mine is also an all cash purchase. No financing.

Comment

• frizzlefry
      • Dec 2012

Not sure if it's allowed so mods please delete if it violates the forum rules.

Sullivan Solar Power. A lot of residential and commercial installs. They just completed their 2000 install. They were the lowest cost but also one of the most reputable installers that I had bid on the project.

Not sure if your all black panels cost more. The 345s have white backing. Who quoted your project?

Comment

• craeay
        • Apr 2013

I'm not sure what the rules are either...

I received bids from Solar City, Xero Solar and Real Goods Solar.

The quote I provided earlier is from Xero Solar. They gave me four quotes, two for SunPower, one with micro inverters and one with the SMA 8000. The other two quotes were for Canadian Solar panels; one with micro inverters and one with the SMA 8000.

Nice guy. But I think he's relatively new to the business.

Real Goods Solar's SunPowers were a joke... They wanted a 20 year PPA for over $47,000. (diff stats... but crummy deal, nonetheless)

Comment

• cyph
          • Apr 2013

What was the quote difference between Canadian Solar panels vs Sunpower and SMA vs micro may I ask?

I have noticed that going with a smaller installer has been a much better experience than the bigger one so far because they try that much harder. Clean Solar wanted to charge me extra for renting a porta-potty, permits, and extra for putting the conduit through my attic totaling almost 1k on top of the quoted cost. All of this was included for me with my chosen installer. The install will be finished today and I'm pretty happy with it. No conduits running to the side of the house and no panels can be seen from the front. All hidden.

Comment

• Naptown
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by frizzlefry
            I had 5 companies bid the project. I specified the new X21 series panel. Negligible price increase compared to E20. Suprising tidbit about the E20, no more black backing for future production.

Location Southern CA (Orange County)
            Utility = SCE

(24) Sunpower X21-345 Panels - 3 strings of 8 panels
            (1) SMA 8000US inverter
            System Cost = $37,100
            CSI Rebate = $1474
            Out of Pocket = $35,626
            Tax Credit = $10,687.80
            Incentive = $500 rebate after install complete
            Net Cost = $24,438.20

Rating = 7376 kWh
            First yr production = 12,785 kWh
            Current annual usage = 14,200 kWh

Gross Cost/kWh = $4.48
            Net Cost/kWh = $2.95

This is an all cash purchase. No financing. Just curious if any one has any comments or if I'm missing something here. 10% less than the next closest bid.
            You did well with that one.
            NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• craeay
              • Apr 2013

Four Way Comparison

Panel: SunPower w/ MicroInv
              Model: 240E-ACPV
              KW: 8.64 kW
              # panels: 36
              Output: 12,623
              Total Price: $50,700
              Net Price: $34,206

Panel: Sunpower w/SMA8000
              Model: X21-335
              KW: 8.04kW
              # panels: 24
              Output: 12,029
              Total Price: $42,500
              Net Price: $28,517

Panel: Canadian Solar w/MicroInv
              Model: CS6P-250M
              KW: 9kW
              Output: 13,413
              Total Price: $38,600
              Net Price: $25,663

Panel: Canadian Solar w/SMA 8000
              Model: CS6P-250M
              KW: 9kW
              Output: 13,413
              Total Price: $35,150
              Net Price: $23,248

Do you mind telling me what you had installed and if my numbers are similar to your numbers? Thanks!

Comment

• Noob
                • Apr 2013

Wow you still both ended up over $5/watt. Will you break even on this versus the interest that could have been earned on $13K, or was overall savings not the driving factor for you?

Comment

• craeay
                  • Apr 2013

Confused about your question

Originally posted by Noob
                  Wow you still both ended up over $5/watt. Will you break even on this versus the interest that could have been earned on $13K, or was overall savings not the driving factor for you?
                  I don't understand your question. What $13k are you referring to?

Comment

• frizzlefry
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Noob
                    I don't know if you're referring to me, but my ROI is 7yrs based on 3% increase in SCE bill. Unfortunately, that's not the case since from last year, the tiers have adjusted down and we hit tier 3 and 4 earlier. I calculated a 7.5% increase in our rates if we used the same amount of power as last year. Given that change, ROI becomes 6yrs. We're due for another 5% increase next year in rates as well.

There are some other considerations for purchase. I get the tax credit which can offset additional tax liabilities. We're researching whether or not depreciation of the system can be taken into account. I work from home but there's an exemption in CA where there is a property tax exclusion for solar systems. Strange how some of the sellers out there (SunRun and several others) were anti-purchase because it would increase property taxes. FYI, that exclusion ends in 2016.

Once the sytem is in, we no longer have to worry about our AC usage during the hotter months. We have 6 zones with each thermostat programmed accordingly. Even with that, hit $475 in Aug last year.

Comment

• Noob
                      • Apr 2013

Sorry, I was referring to both of you. I just took your "Net Cost" out of your System Prices, to determine the amount of money you could have invested in other vehicle, i.e.:

37100 - 24,438 = 12662

42500 - 28,517 = 13983

So a rough average of those was $13K. Listening to the admonitions of Sunking and others here, your calculated ROI would have to include the interest you could have earned on that $13K over time if it weren't tied up in your system (with 5-10% as reasonable estimates, often using 7%).

Does your 6-7 Year ROI calculation already incorporate the $6,204 your 12,662 could earn in those 7 years?

Comment

• cyph
                        • Apr 2013

Why 7 years? They get that 13k back after one year.

Comment

• Noob
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by cyph
                          Why 7 years? They get that 13k back after one year.
                          I have no idea -- frizzlefry wrote above me that his ROI was 7 years, or possibly 6.

Comment

• cyph
                            • Apr 2013

Break even is 6-7 years to recoup the cost minus the tax rebate. The 13k was not part of the calculation because it will be returned by the fed. Keep in mind that you can plug in numbers to make anything look right. If you want to play with your calculations by using opportunity cost, then you should also consider a 5-6 percent in annual rates increase factored in to calculate savings.

In the end, I am going for Solar so that I don't have to follow my kids telling them to turn off their lights as well as blasting my AC to 75 in the summer months. What is the opportunity cost for that? You have to consider the intangibles as well. Not everything in life has a ROI. This one does.

Comment

• Noob
                              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by cyph
                              Break even is 6-7 years to recoup the cost minus the tax rebate. The 13k was not part of the calculation because it will be returned by the fed. Keep in mind that you can plug in numbers to make anything look right. If you want to play with your calculations by using opportunity cost, then you should also consider a 5-6 percent in annual rates increase factored in to calculate savings.

In the end, I am going for Solar so that I don't have to follow my kids telling them to turn off their lights as well as blasting my AC to 75 in the summer months. What is the opportunity cost for that? You have to consider the intangibles as well. Not everything in life has a ROI. This one does.
                              Fair enough, although I'm pretty sure you're wrong about one thing -- that $13K is their net outlay AFTER all incentives including "federal" come back.

Thanks for the info and viewpoint (seriously).

Comment

Working...