X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhawkman
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2013

Trustworthy solar system curators

With all the hype about these solar generators on tv and online making crazy claims to the full on home solar systems, I have been unable to find anyone who can put together a kit based on what someone desires. I'm wanting to put together a setup with about 800w of panels, a couple 200ah batteries and 2kw inverter to be used during power outages and while refueling or maintaining generator. Just want something that will keep my freezer and fridge cold for relatively short periods of time. The premade systems are usually overkill and the little cooler looking kits are overselling the capability. The problem for me is that there are so many components and picking between them for the best quality and value is daunting. Charge controllers, mounting, battery types and sizes, panel wattages, etc, etc. The companies in my areas seem to really want to push the setups they have already put together and it's up to the buyer to alter their wishes instead of the other way around. Is there a company that lets you put your idea in and give you a list of the parts to meet that need? Amazon and others have so much stuff available but knowing which size and type is so variable. Thanks. I know this might be kinda vague but it seems like there has to be people providing this type of service.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by rhawkman
    Just want something that will keep my freezer and fridge cold for relatively short periods of time.
    How short of a time ?

Comment

• azdave
      • Oct 2014

Just want something that will keep my freezer and fridge cold for relatively short periods of time.
      No joke. I would purchase a second generator.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
      6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• rhawkman
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by J.P.M.

How short of a time ?
        I figure maybe 4-6 hours every few months but if the world goes completely to hell I guess all it can do LOL

Comment

• rhawkman
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by azdave

No joke. I would purchase a second generator.
          Already have two and looking at another to connect into main power so I could run my well at the same time. I'm kinda looking for a tertiary backup method. And with literally thousands of food in freezers I'd really hate to lose it. Gotta find a 250g propane tank first.
          Last edited by rhawkman; 05-24-2023, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

I figure maybe 4-6 hours every few months but if the world goes completely to hell I guess all it can do LOL
            Well, most reasonably efficient fridges can maintain their inside to outside temperature difference in a "safe" range for probably about maybe 8-10 hours. (example only: my fridge, 27ft.^3, side/side, 23 yrs. old loses ~ 0.5 deg. F/hr. or so on a 40 deg. F, delta T., Freezer's about the same on a 60 - 70 deg. F delta T).
            Put about half the ice from the freezer into the fridge for extra insurance.

Or, if you're still skeptical, and as AZdave suggests, get another small genny for keeping food cold. That's probably a lot easier and way cheaper than a small task dedicated PV system w/storage that'll only get used a few times/yr.

Anyway, if the world really does crap the bed, we'll all have bigger fish to fry than keeping food cold.
            In that case, smoke all the dope you can get your hands on and eat all the food when the munchies hit before it spoils and party on til the end. Problem of food storage solved.

Comment

• rhawkman
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2013

Well, most reasonably efficient fridges can maintain their inside to outside temperature difference in a "safe" range for probably about maybe 8-10 hours. (example only: my fridge, 27ft.^3, side/side, 23 yrs. old loses ~ 0.5 deg. F/hr. or so on a 40 deg. F, delta T., Freezer's about the same on a 60 - 70 deg. F delta T).

Or, if you're still skeptical, and as AZdave suggests, get another small genny for keeping food cold. That's probably a lot easier and way cheaper than a small task dedicated PV system w/storage that'll only get used a few times/yr.

Anyway, if the world really does crap the bed, we'll all have bigger fish to fry than keeping food cold.
              In that case, smoke all the dope you can get your hands on and eat all the food when the munchies hit before it spoils and party on til the end. Problem of food storage solved.
              Yep, I know all that as you and others on here have burst my newbie bubble years ago, hence my two generators. I'm in a position now to afford an inexpensive(ish) backup to my backup. 4Patriots claims their 100w panel and little battery will run a fridge for 40 hours. LMAO And I'm def not in the market for some 12 panel grid tie system and $10,000 worth of batteries. You're right, the food should last a while if I can resist opening doors, but...while I'm not gonna be mistaken for a real prepper, I really do like to be ready for things. It appears that a $2k pile of stuff could do what I want with like 2 320w panels, a 40A MPPT and a couple of $400 batteries. Heck I'm old, they might outlast me. I'm certainly not expecting to go off grid with my whole house. Just some insurance.

Comment

• rhawkman
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2013

OH and I might have access to crude oil if things really really go downhill but I have yet to find a generator that will run on it.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Yep, I know all that as you and others on here have burst my newbie bubble years ago
                  I seem to remember that Naptown, Russ and Sunking did most of the disabusing, but I'll take some responsibility for some of the rest of it.

Glad we could be sources of enlightenment.
                  Last edited by J.P.M.; 05-24-2023, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

OH and I might have access to crude oil if things really really go downhill but I have yet to find a generator that will run on it.
                    Well, large diesel cycle engines in oil fields and refineries and on some ships can run on crude with some modifications but the raw feed needs filtering. Sometimes such devices are referred to as hot bulb engines and usually run at low speeds. For lots of reasons, probably not practical for your application.

Also, as was confirmed in the gulf wars, crude burns best when coming out of the ground.

Or, you might find a small distillation system.
                    Among other stuff, I used to design distillation equipment and towers for refineries and other applications, but scaling the towers down from refinery size to what's close to lab size presents problems so I wouldn't be too optimistic on that front.

Now, back to reality, PV is probably not practical for your current application, but most tinkering projects usually are not, so enjoy.

Comment

• rhawkman
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2013

Now, back to reality, PV is probably not practical for your current application, but most tinkering projects usually are not, so enjoy. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

Yes, Sunking was a bit like my old AF trainers, able to get me to learn by occasionally telling me I'm f'n stupid sometimes. I certainly appreciate the wisdom from those on here who know a lot more than me, which sadly is a large group. Hence two gens and planning a third with drums of gas and diesel stored.

And you are absolutely correct, certainly more tinkering than dire need. Wants sometimes trump needs if we have too much time on our hands.It might feel good to put something together that works instead of just starting a generator.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Now, back to reality, PV is probably not practical for your current application, but most tinkering projects usually are not, so enjoy. [/FONT]
                        certainly more tinkering than dire need. Wants sometimes trump needs if we have too much time on our hands.It might feel good to put something together that works instead of just starting a generator.
                        [/QUOTE]

Off topic:
                        Yea, in the mid '70's I was a bored sales rep. with more spare time than brains trying to figure out ways to keep warm in Buffalo in the winter while my day job was sales rep./peddling the type of stuff I later wound up engineering, and saw an article about solar energy that piqued my curiosity. So, I went back to school to get my own answers about energy and here I am in SO. CA. 50+ years later bloviating all over the place.

Comment

• rhawkman
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2013

J.P.M, I've retired twice now, first from the Air Force then from defense contractor. Played working at Autozone for a few years but now 100% VA disability. Sadly now I buy my firewood cuz cutting my own got too difficult. But I love my wood furnace that heats the whole place with a 150w blower. My puttering has included a rocket stove and a 4x8 plywood solar heater. Both now out of service and collecting dirt dobber nests. Mostly I mow, brush-hog, fish, shoot and eat lol. So boredom and wanting to putter on solar a bit got me back thinking and planning. Not sure if Eco worthy is any good but put together 390w panels, 40a mppt, 1000/2000 peak inverter and 2 100a batteries with assorted sundry accessories for under $1500. Who knows, I might just get teh propane tank and another generator LOL. I don't know what possessed me to collect so many prep type things like one year food supply, a truck with no title I turned into a sorta firetruck using 55g barrels and 12v pump with Autozone used $50 batteries. Collect rainwater and have ponds. Yeah, I suppose I'm getting ready for something but in reality it will probably be the gov't killing me when they get around to it. You know, us vets are a threat to the country. Ok, sorry enough rambling. I have some DVR shows to go thru Thanks for your time.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

J.P.M, I've retired twice now, first from the Air Force then from defense contractor. Played working at Autozone for a few years but now 100% VA disability. Sadly now I buy my firewood cuz cutting my own got too difficult. But I love my wood furnace that heats the whole place with a 150w blower. My puttering has included a rocket stove and a 4x8 plywood solar heater. Both now out of service and collecting dirt dobber nests. Mostly I mow, brush-hog, fish, shoot and eat lol. So boredom and wanting to putter on solar a bit got me back thinking and planning. Not sure if Eco worthy is any good but put together 390w panels, 40a mppt, 1000/2000 peak inverter and 2 100a batteries with assorted sundry accessories for under $1500. Who knows, I might just get teh propane tank and another generator LOL. I don't know what possessed me to collect so many prep type things like one year food supply, a truck with no title I turned into a sorta firetruck using 55g barrels and 12v pump with Autozone used $50 batteries. Collect rainwater and have ponds. Yeah, I suppose I'm getting ready for something but in reality it will probably be the gov't killing me when they get around to it. You know, us vets are a threat to the country. Ok, sorry enough rambling. I have some DVR shows to go thru Thanks for your time.
                            Understood.
                            You're Welcome.

A.M.F.,
                            J.P.M.

Comment

Working...