Sun Power

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slinthicum
    • Apr 2022

It isn't something to be proud of, being #1 according to the BLS.

Comment

• paris401
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by RichardCullip

Your "around" must not expand enough to cover San Diego, CA. SDG&E just might, according to some comparisons, have the highest electricity rates in the US.
      i'm paying 25cents a kwh... plus the line charge in and out... i'm more then happy to pass the mantle of highest in the U.S. to u guys in san diego... but u deserve it... best weather in the U.S..., and poss the world... u gotta pay for that great climate

Comment

• slinthicum
        • Apr 2022

The easiest job in the world is the meteorologist for our local TV stations with the same daily forecast, spring, summer, fall, or winter. "Sunny with a low of 60 and a high of 75."

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by slinthicum
          The easiest job in the world is the meteorologist for our local TV stations with the same daily forecast, spring, summer, fall, or winter. "Sunny with a low of 60 and a high of 75."
          I have a friend who ran the NWS office in Buffalo back in the day who remarked that the toughest part of being a TV weatherperson in San Diego was finding different ways to say "Cloudy 'til 10, then sun" day in/day out without seeming repetitive. There's a kernel of truth in that statement.
          Last edited by J.P.M.; 04-29-2022, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by paris401

i have done as much conservation as is possible at that house led's, timers, etc - all the appliances r new- when the solar rep. came and saw the previous 12 mos of bills, he made a comment he never saw such a small house , use so much electric... ofcourse my kids don't pay the bills... i do.... but i must say, they have gotten better over the last 5years... and the $$$ i spent on the system has... or just about been paid back....

and i do remember all your helpful comments back then, which i thank u for...
            For anything you found useful or thought provoking in my keyboard spoor, you're most welcome.

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by paris401
              i have done as much conservation as is possible at that house led's, timers, etc - all the appliances r new- when the solar rep. came and saw the previous 12 mos of bills, he made a comment he never saw such a small house , use so much electric... ofcourse my kids don't pay the bills... i do.... but i must say, they have gotten better over the last 5years... and the $$$ i spent on the system has... or just about been paid back....

and i do remember all your helpful comments back then, which i thank u for...
              I saw an owner who was bent on replacing every incandescent
              light with LEDs. This, though most of those light were very
              rarely turned on. I was able to show, that the big electric bill was
              caused by a couple huge, old, inefficient air onditioning units with
              high running times. Effective conservation starts with getting the
              numbers of just how the energy is used. That was a months project
              at my house, upgrades are ongoing. Bruce Roe
              Last edited by bcroe; 11-01-2022, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• jflorey2
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                I have a friend who ran the NWS office in Buffalo back in the day who remarked that the toughest part of being a TV weatherperson in San Diego was finding different ways to say "Cloudy 'til 10, then sun" day in/day out without seeming repetitive. There's a kernel of truth in that statement.
                Well, at least early May through mid-July.

Comment

• jflorey2
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by bcroe
                  I was able to show, that the big electric bill wascaused by a couple huge, old, inefficient air onditioning units with high running times.
                  Yeah, we upgraded our air conditioners to much more efficient heat pumps last year. But honestly the biggest efficiency change we made was upgrading our windows several years back; even with the old inefficient system it brought us from negative to positive generation. We now generate a lot more than we use, even with two EV's. (And we're in San Diego, where it's nice to avoid power bills.)

Comment

• AmitBajpayee
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by bcroe
                    Before they come, decide what your objectives would be. Could be
                    reduction of your electric bill with net metering, or an off grid setup, or
                    a backup power setup. Get some design numbers together toward
                    your goal. Each of the above have hugely varying costs and
                    capabilities.

The sales people will just be trying to sell what gets them a quick profit.
                    A one fits all solution. good luck, Bruce Roe
                    Thanks for the information.

Comment

• ukwindowcleaner
                      • Oct 2022

Originally posted by slinthicum
                      to be fair all they do is read off the screen

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ukwindowcleaner

to be fair all they do is read off the screen
                        Just like most every other talking head slug on the idiot box, but that's off topic.

Comment

• Calsun
                          • Oct 2022

When I was shopping for panels in 2012 the best ones were the commercial models from SunPower. SunPower only sold them to their dealers who were doing installations on commercial buildings and would not sell them to residential only solar dealers. I found a dealer that did both and they installed the SunPower SPR-327NE panels on my house. Ten years later their output has dropped by less than 1%.

I designed the panel layout to be able to fit 11 panels on frames on the roof. I specified an inverter that could handle two strings of panel input which was very important and something that none of the salemen I spoke with were aware existed.

I knew in 2012 that with global warming the supply of relatively inexpensive hydroelectric power would decline and power companies would be spending more on coal or natural gas an those cost increases are passed along to customers. My rates have doubled in the past 10 years and as the utility has a monopoly they have zero incentive to reduce the prices they charge. My average rate in 2022 is what was my top tier rate in 2012, or $0.44 per kWh. And rates will more than double over the next 10 years.

With my new solar installation I first had a new roof put on where the panels would go and also paid for the labor to install the panels and the electrical runs and the inverter and its installation. Saving money on the panels made no sense in terms of the overall cost and I got the tax credit which also helped. The installer was the leading roofer as well as the leading solar installer and I was told at the time that it would probably cost $3,000 to remove the panels to re-roof my house and put the panels back in to place. I decided to replace the roof and at the same time to add some insulating panels to help keep the house cooler.

Comment

Working...