No announcement yet.

SunPower or LG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update, LG Solar Group initially quoted ~$3.06/W, then agreed to match price at $2.4/watt for a 11.52KW system, 32x Panasonic EverVolt 360W with Enphase Iq7+. Good experience with the sales rep, about to sign up...Anyone used this company before?

Comment

Originally posted by InmarketforPV View Post
      Update, LG Solar Group initially quoted ~$3.06/W, then agreed to match price at $2.4/watt for a 11.52KW system, 32x Panasonic EverVolt 360W with Enphase Iq7+. Good experience with the sales rep, about to sign up...Anyone used this company before?
      Sorry LA Solar Group it is

Comment

What state do you live in and what is your POCO?

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

What state do you live in and what is your POCO?
          N. California, what does POCO stand for?

Comment

N. California, what does POCO stand for?
            Poco is power company or electric utility.

Comment

Not to discourage you but they have some violations / citations. Also check the 1 star reviews on Yelp. I was about to get a quote from them but when I read the reviews on Yelp, I decided not to get a quote from them.

https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServi...sDt=04/02/2021

Comment

Poco is power company or electric utility.
                it's PG&E

Comment

Originally posted by utsug View Post

Not to discourage you but they have some violations / citations. Also check the 1 star reviews on Yelp. I was about to get a quote from them but when I read the reviews on Yelp, I decided not to get a quote from them.

ops ... that's concerning, thanks for the info!

Comment

Mind sharing which company did you go with?

Comment

it's PG&E
                      Find out if there is any hardware restrictions on what they accept for a grid tie system. Also if you are over paneling find out if they will provide a true Net metering contract and pay you for each kWh you send them what they charge you for each kWh you consume.

In some case generating more power then you can use has a limiting financial factor.

Comment

Find out if there is any hardware restrictions on what they accept for a grid tie system. Also if you are over paneling find out if they will provide a true Net metering contract and pay you for each kWh you send them what they charge you for each kWh you consume.

In some case generating more power then you can use has a limiting financial factor.
                        For PG&E they do things in retail cost of kwh, which changes with time of day. And at true-up time you can have 3 possibilities.
                        1> you consumed more $ worth than you produce ==> pay PG&E
                        2> you consumed less $ than you produced, but overall number of kwh produced is fewer. (ex. produced 1000 kwh at $.20/kwh, consumed 1500kwh at $.10/kwh == $200 produced,. $150 consumed) ==> you don't pay PG&E for energy, they don't pay you.
                        3> you consumed less $ than you produced AND consumed fewer kwh. ==> PG&E pays you their average cost to acquire kwh's on your excess production. (usually like $0.04/kwh or $0.05/kwh)

I think there's also a monthly fixed cost component besides.

Advice I saw from ~5 years ago was to aim for producing fewer kwh than use from PG&E - but have enough production during during afternoon hours that the peak pricing covers your off-peak consumption and then some.
                        OTOH - A friend said he went with a bigger system and he's fine with PG&E getting the "extra" kwh - he said "they are so screwed up, I am good with donating some extra kwh to them. They can use it." (He was somewhat joking - but I think also somewhat serious)
                        Last edited by foo1bar; 05-28-2021, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

For PG&E they do things in retail cost of kwh, which changes with time of day. And at true-up time you can have 3 possibilities.
                          1> you consumed more $ worth than you produce ==> pay PG&E
                          2> you consumed less $ than you produced, but overall number of kwh is fewer. (ex. produced 1000 kwh at $.20/kwh, consumed 1500kwh at $.10/kwh == $200 produced,. $150 consumed) ==> you don't pay PG&E for energy, they don't pay you.
                          3> you consumed less $ than you produced AND consumed fewer kwh. ==> PG&E pays you their average cost to acquire kwh's on your excess production. (usually like $0.04/kwh or $0.05/kwh)

I think there's also a monthly fixed cost component besides.

Advice I saw from ~5 years ago was to aim for producing fewer kwh than use from PG&E - but have enough production during during afternoon hours that the peak pricing covers your off-peak consumption and then some.
                          OTOH - A friend said he went with a bigger system and he's fine with PG&E getting the "extra" kwh - he said "they are so screwed up, I am good with donating some extra kwh to them. They can use it." (He was somewhat joking - but I think also somewhat serious)
                          Thanks for the explanation! Just for "overall number of kwh is fewer", I am not sure what is this compared against with? My understanding there are just two numbers, kWh that system produces and kWh that is consumed..

By the way, the other company Solar Optimum that had about same bid as LA Solar Group, their QA manager reached out to me today after I complained about the initial sale rep and offered $2.35/W, but his design used very conservative estimation : 12.58KW to produce only 16292KWh, while from LA Solar Group: 11.52 KW to produce 17107KWh...($2.4/W)
                          Any experience with Solar Optimum folks? Reviews look pretty good.

Comment

Mind sharing which company did you go with?
                            I haven't pick any solar company yet. I've got quotes from Sun Craftsmen Solar and Solar Shoppers. I might go with Sun Craftsmen solar but with the upcoming changes to net metering (NEM 3.0), I might not go with solar.
                            Based on reading those 1 star reviews from LA Solar Group, I would stay away from them. Most of the 1 star reviews are recent reviews.
                            Try reaching out to Sun Craftsmen Solar.

Comment

I haven't pick any solar company yet. I've got quotes from Sun Craftsmen Solar and Solar Shoppers. I might go with Sun Craftsmen solar but with the upcoming changes to net metering (NEM 3.0), I might not go with solar.
                              Based on reading those 1 star reviews from LA Solar Group, I would stay away from them. Most of the 1 star reviews are recent reviews.
                              Try reaching out to Sun Craftsmen Solar.
                              My understanding is that NEM2.0 is a 20-yr agreement from system turn on, so I think it will be grandfathered after NEM 3.0 is passed. That's one of the reasons I wanted to get solar this year.
                              I did request a quote from Sun Crafts solar, but no repose yet. Their reviews are very limited though, a couple of dozens at most compared to hundreds for others, also couldn't find it on BBB.

Comment

My understanding is that NEM2.0 is a 20-yr agreement from system turn on, so I think it will be grandfathered after NEM 3.0 is passed. That's one of the reasons I wanted to get solar this year.
                                I did request a quote from Sun Crafts solar, but no repose yet. Their reviews are very limited though, a couple of dozens at most compared to hundreds for others, also couldn't find it on BBB.
                                From what I read, all solar customer will be transferred to NEM 3.0 no later than 10 years from the date of service. In addition to this they will impose a monthly fee of $65-$90 for all home owners
                                with solar. These changes will greatly make your payback longer.

Try AWS Solar too, a little expensive but reviews are good.

Comment

Working...
                                X