Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • switch-plan
    • Aug 2020

Removing solar panels

I am getting tesla solar panels installed, but I don't know what happens if I want to get them removed. When I want to sell my house and remove the panels, how do I make sure I don't wreck the roof? Anyone have any experience to help me out? Thank you!
  • peakbagger
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2010

Removing the panels is not technically difficult. Its just rigging and doing it safely. Where the damage comes in is removing and patching the rack mounts. Depending on the roofing type, patching the rack mounts may get ugly. My guess is the best approach is leave them in place until such time that the roof is redone. Depending on the mounting system how visible the mounts will be will vary from really ugly to barely visible. Sure there are hacks that will rip them out and goop them to seal the holes but goop is short term fix and not permanent. Many companies write a cost to remove a system into the contract in case the roof needs replacing.

I am surprised you actually own the system, Tesla makes far more money on leasing or other creative sales models that the typical person does not understand.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

I guess my question is why remove the solar panels if you want to sell your home?

If you lease the system, Tesla probably will not let you move them. If you own the system after a few years I don't think it will be financially smart to move them.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

+1 on Peakbagger's post.

Most PV systems are not designed with removal in mind. Almost always better/cheaper/less hassle to leave it.

When people move/sell the property, the system almost always stays with the property.

Good luck with Tesla.

Comment

• solarix
          Super Moderator
          • Apr 2015

Tesla is not going to be helpful when the time comes to have roofing work done and you need the array removed and reinstalled.
          We get calls from SolarCity/Tesla owners completely frustrated with them in this regard and wanting us to do it instead...
          BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by solarix
            Tesla is not going to be helpful when the time comes to have roofing work done and you need the array removed and reinstalled.
            We get calls from SolarCity/Tesla owners completely frustrated with them in this regard and wanting us to do it instead...
            Nice work once you get accustomed to shaking your head when you see what the Musk folks have done.

Comment

Working...