San Diego Installer Stats for First Half of 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Diego Installer Stats for First Half of 2019

I captured the following stats about San Diego County installers from the NEM data set for my own purposes. Hopefully others will find this type of stat interesting like I do. I only included NEM applications from the first half of 2019 that were residential rooftop installs, without loans/PPA/Pace, and not self installs. I also did not include some entries that were incomplete or appeared to be errored. I only included the 17 installers with at least 1% of market share for this group. The listed solar panel and inverters are the most common install. There were often many other solar panels installed besides the model listed.

Installer Name Share Solar Panels Inverters Cost / DC Watt: 3 to 5 KW DC Cost / DC Watt: 5 to 10 KW DC
    Manufacturer Model 25th Median 75th 25th Median 75th
    Semper Solaris 10.8% Panasonic 330 SA17 SolarEdge 3.40 3.59 3.90 3.38 3.59 3.90
    Baker Electric 9.6% LG 335 N1C SolarEdge 3.62 3.94 4.43 3.38 3.76 4.25
    REC (Sunrun) 6.1% REC 290 TP2 Ningbo 3.98 4.17 4.47 3.93 4.31 5.09
    Sullivan Solar 5.7% Panasonic 330 SA17 SolarEdge 3.93 4.18 3.57 3.48 3.77 4.21
    SolarCity (Tesla) 4.9% SolarCity 325 SC SolarEdge 4.27 5.12 5.12 3.98 5.12 5.12
    Stellar Solar (Sunpower) 4.6% Sunpower 360 X22 Sunpower 3.56 3.69 3.84 3.53 3.63 3.80
    Sunpower 3.4% Sunpower 335 X21 Sunpower 4.25 4.25 4.25 4.25 4.25 4.25
    PetersenDean 2.2% Silfab 320 SLA-M SolarEdge 3.45 3.69 4.21 3.20 3.56 4.37
    Solartech (Sunpower) 2.0% Sunpower 360 X22 Sunpower 3.40 3.70 4.04 3.38 3.62 3.91
    Sunline Energy 1.9% Panasonic 330 SA17 Enphase 3.18 3.44 3.77 2.99 3.19 3.53
    New Power* 1.8% Hyundai 300 S-RG Enphase 5.51 5.64 5.78 5.50 5.78 6.03
    Milholland (Sunpower) 1.7% Sunpower 360 X22 Sunpower 4.00 4.50 6.89 4.00 4.68 6.72
    Palomar Solar 1.7% LG 320 N1K Enphase 3.64 3.86 4.02 3.34 3.51 3.62
    Cosmic Solar (Sunpower) 1.2% Sunpower 370 X22 Sunpower 3.49 3.76 3.99 3.25 3.50 3.77
    Freedom Solar 1.2% Hanwha 315 Q.PG5 SolarEdge 4.29 4.70 5.66 3.93 4.37 5.24
    EnergyServicePartners 1.1% Hanwha 295 Q.PG4 SolarEdge 3.60 4.34 5.23 3.65 4.50 5.00
    Sunlight Solar 1.1% Hanwha 325 Q.PG5 Enphase 3.90 4.21 4.51 3.51 4.00 4.48
    *I suspect the New Power costs are especially high because the entries are mislabeled and are actually lease/PPA.
    Last edited by NCSD; 08-15-2019, 02:54 AM.

Hi NCSD, thats a very interesting post, thanks for posting that, cheers.

Comment

Wow. Those prices sure seem high. Either that, or I'm one of the few who knows how to negotiate.
      8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieEscCA View Post
        Wow. Those prices sure seem high. Either that, or I'm one of the few who knows how to negotiate.
        Are you in San Diego? There's a HUGE variance depending on region. I spoke to some installers in San Antonio that are installing for ~$2.50/w.

Comment

Originally posted by nwdiver View Post

Are you in San Diego? There's a HUGE variance depending on region. I spoke to some installers in San Antonio that are installing for ~$2.50/w.
          Yes, San Diego, North County. I'm putting in an 8.68 kWDC (28 310w 60 cell panels, SolarEdge) system at 2.79/w on my new house under construction with one of the vendors on the list above.

Comment

Yes, San Diego, North County. I'm putting in an 8.68 kWDC (28 310w 60 cell panels, SolarEdge) system at 2.79/w on my new house under construction with one of the vendors on the list above.
            WOW... that is a good deal. Congratulations!

Comment

Charlie:

See the CSI database --->>> Go Solar California website. Information includes about most every residential install since 2008 including most everything about an array except the name and address of the owner, size, orientation, equipment, vendor, dates, prices and more.

Your old install near the Animal Park as well as mine is in there. Most folks don't know the CSI exists. It is and was a great resource, particularly for info about prices and vendors.

BTW, my experience w/HOA installs is that the gross prices listed in the CSI have always matched what the contracts were written up for.

How's the place in Valley Ctr. coming along ?

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

How's the place in Valley Ctr. coming along ?
                Slowly but surely.Drywall hung this week, Stucco scratch coat starts next week. My 10' wrought iron door self imported got installed this week -- turned out great. Still looking like a mid November move in.

Current house still on market.It's not your ordinary house, so need to be patient (hard to do) until my buyer comes along. I've got one person supposedly who wants to put in an offer but a sale of their commercial property fell out of escrow, Got to keep the faith.

Comment

I received quotes from 6 of the vendors on the list. My initial quotes generally fit well with the listed ranges, when using similar panels. However, some offered options for less expensive panels, which brought the cost/Watt down substantially, in some cases well below the listed 25th percentile. I'd expect the quotes depend on numerous factors about the specific install as well. In another thread, you mentioned Axitec panels, which had a median of $3.15/DC Watt. $2.79 would be ~30th percentile.

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                  See the CSI database --->>> Go Solar California website. Information includes about most every residential install since 2008 including most everything about an array except the name and address of the owner, size, orientation, equipment, vendor, dates, prices and more.
                  The CSI database includes relatively few recent entries. For example, there are only 9 listed installs completed in 2019 for SD county. All of these 9 were large commercial installs that started the process in 2014-2015. One of these 9 is listed as a 4.8 million DC watt system in Oceanside at a cost of $17.4 million. Installs that started more recently are in the NEM database, which I used for the original post. It has similar information to the CSI database, as well as some new columns. It was my experience that when you pay the NEM interconnection fee for your solar application, you get an email showing your application number, which can be used to later find your entry in the database.

Comment

interesting I though micro inverters would be used more due to module level shut down rules. Solar Edge seems like the "winner" What does NEM mean?

Comment

Slowly but surely.Drywall hung this week, Stucco scratch coat starts next week. My 10' wrought iron door self imported got installed this week -- turned out great. Still looking like a mid November move in.

Current house still on market.It's not your ordinary house, so need to be patient (hard to do) until my buyer comes along. I've got one person supposedly who wants to put in an offer but a sale of their commercial property fell out of escrow, Got to keep the faith.
                      Understood. Thank you. Good luck.

J.P.M.

Comment

Originally posted by NCSD View Post
                        The CSI database includes relatively few recent entries. For example, there are only 9 listed installs completed in 2019 for SD county. All of these 9 were large commercial installs that started the process in 2014-2015. One of these 9 is listed as a 4.8 million DC watt system in Oceanside at a cost of $17.4 million. Installs that started more recently are in the NEM database, which I used for the original post. It has similar information to the CSI database, as well as some new columns. It was my experience that when you pay the NEM interconnection fee for your solar application, you get an email showing your application number, which can be used to later find your entry in the database.
                        You are correct. Apologies for my error. Been using the Go Solar CA site for so long I got the nomenclature stuck in my head. Still good information however.

Comment

Originally posted by khanh dam View Post
                          What does NEM mean?
                          Google "NEM + utilities". You'll get the answer.

Comment

net energy metering thanks

Comment

Originally posted by khanh dam View Post
                              net energy metering thanks
                              You're welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X