No announcement yet.

Help choosing between quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just when you thought you have seen it all with internet trolls, you have one hanging out on a solar panel forum. rip city. If I was solar pete I would ban you from the forum. No amount of knowledge is worth the type of attitude you bring towards new members. I am glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it. I have actually seen this play out before on the Spiceworks forums, with a user there who had the same type of attitude, and used his initials for his username as well! Google Scott Allen Miller Spiceworks and read through that, maybe it will open your eyes that it isn't rewarding being a dip**** to people looking for information.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny9090 View Post
      Just when you thought you have seen it all with internet trolls, you have one hanging out on a solar panel forum. rip city. If I was solar pete I would ban you from the forum. No amount of knowledge is worth the type of attitude you bring towards new members. I am glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it. I have actually seen this play out before on the Spiceworks forums, with a user there who had the same type of attitude, and used his initials for his username as well! Google Scott Allen Miller Spiceworks and read through that, maybe it will open your eyes that it isn't rewarding being a dip**** to people looking for information.
      If your above spoor is referring to my posts here and their content, and if it's any comfort to you, a few years ago, Solar Pete also has written that I'm a condescending so and so.

Since this forum is not a democracy, you, I, or anyone can be banned on a whim. Usually, it appears that folks are most often sunsetted or banned for persistently posting dangerous or misleading information and or opinions, trolling for leads, just dead wrong stuff, or just being consistent and persistent buttholes. We're all here at the forum owners' leisure and forbearance.

Since I'm still here, my assumption is I'm not in one of those categories, at least not most of the time. But, like noses, opinions vary, with most everyone having their own, and most of them smelling at least some of the time - mine, yours and Solar Pete's. I get a post yanked 1X/awhile, but I chalk that up as part of the price of having some strong opinions and an attitude about some things, mostly (I'd like to think) unfettered ignorance.

As for banning, at the end of the day, Solar Pete has the only opinion that counts.

As I wrote, have a nice life.

Take what you want off the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

JPM... keep up what u are doing...

Comment

Also I forgot to ask if Energysage is a quality site. I did fill that out and I have about 7 quotes in there I am currently reviewing along side these now. It seems like they are good starting points and if I like one I will have to reach out to get some minor more specific adjustments.
          FWIW, I used EnergySage to get my initial round of quotes, I got one unreasonably high $3.77/w, two in the $3.15-$3.25 range, and one $3.05/W but was over quoting annual delivery rates. The $3.77W didn't want to play ball when I asked them to adjust their rates, so they got dropped. A couple complaints on the $3.25 guy (complaints where on yelp), so dropped him. I had the $3.15 guy over and got down to him writing up a contract.

I also, asked on Nextdoor.com (it's a neighborhood community board) for other developers. And the predominate company was a small local outfit. I had them come over as well. I like the guy, fellow Engineer, so I could talk details with him. At the end, I liked what he was proposing, but his rates were a bit too high at $3.47/W, so I asked him to bring it down, and I showed numbers from the two competing proposals, and he backed it down some, through in a consumption meter, and is providing a some dispensation on the back end, to be just a bit more competitive on the post tax incentive Net cost per Watt. This is the guy I'm using. But I would have been just as happy using the other guy who had written up a contract.

I wouldn't just go through Costco dealers.

All this said, after reading the conversation, while JPM's comments may seem a bit harsh, but to be fair it's the harsh truth, some people don't want to hear that, but I for one am glad that there's someone here to provide it. I based on this, I looked into a couple things that I hadn't fully considered, and I'm glad I did. Until you have a decent understanding of everything (and it's going to vary from area to area, utility company to utility company) and run some numbers, you're not going to know how beneficial putting solar in is, or even if it's going to effectively be a money sink.

Comment

Originally posted by TAZ427 View Post

FWIW, I used EnergySage to get my initial round of quotes, I got one unreasonably high $3.77/w, two in the $3.15-$3.25 range, and one $3.05/W but was over quoting annual delivery rates. The $3.77W didn't want to play ball when I asked them to adjust their rates, so they got dropped. A couple complaints on the $3.25 guy (complaints where on yelp), so dropped him. I had the $3.15 guy over and got down to him writing up a contract.

I also, asked on Nextdoor.com (it's a neighborhood community board) for other developers. And the predominate company was a small local outfit. I had them come over as well. I like the guy, fellow Engineer, so I could talk details with him. At the end, I liked what he was proposing, but his rates were a bit too high at $3.47/W, so I asked him to bring it down, and I showed numbers from the two competing proposals, and he backed it down some, through in a consumption meter, and is providing a some dispensation on the back end, to be just a bit more competitive on the post tax incentive Net cost per Watt. This is the guy I'm using. But I would have been just as happy using the other guy who had written up a contract.

I wouldn't just go through Costco dealers.

All this said, after reading the conversation, while JPM's comments may seem a bit harsh, but to be fair it's the harsh truth, some people don't want to hear that, but I for one am glad that there's someone here to provide it. I based on this, I looked into a couple things that I hadn't fully considered, and I'm glad I did. Until you have a decent understanding of everything (and it's going to vary from area to area, utility company to utility company) and run some numbers, you're not going to know how beneficial putting solar in is, or even if it's going to effectively be a money sink.
            On reality: Like I write from time to time, welcome to the forum of few(er) illusions.

Comment

Originally posted by TAZ427 View Post

while JPM's comments may seem a bit harsh, but to be fair it's the harsh truth, some people don't want to hear that, but I for one am glad that there's someone here to provide it. I based on this, I looked into a couple things that I hadn't fully considered, and I'm glad I did.
              Some people like their state of bliss
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Thank you, J.P.M. Your posts have helped me becoming better informed and make good decisions. Please keep up the good work.

Comment

First time back in several months. I've decided I'm off to pop some popcorn
                  8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)

Comment

I would get the enphase micro inverters, since 2017 National Elec. Code requires module level shut down, I think that gives a boost to Enphase in the long run. String inverters used to be cheaper, but not anymore due to the new rules requiring modules on every panel. The issue with string inverters is none of the manufacturers support them well after a few years. Sunny Boy one of the biggest inverter makers, has come out with 3 new lines in the last decade. They had their original, then 20 series, then 40, and now 41 series. When I call them for support on their original they say it's not made any more and that he will have to get back to me. When string inverters fail, it is typically a cheap less than $10 relay or capacitor, but unless you are good at electronics, that tiny part will make you need to buy an entire new inverter.

Comment

Originally posted by khanh dam View Post
                      I would get the enphase micro inverters, since 2017 National Elec. Code requires module level shut down, I think that gives a boost to Enphase in the long run. String inverters used to be cheaper, but not anymore due to the new rules requiring modules on every panel. The issue with string inverters is none of the manufacturers support them well after a few years. Sunny Boy one of the biggest inverter makers, has come out with 3 new lines in the last decade. They had their original, then 20 series, then 40, and now 41 series. When I call them for support on their original they say it's not made any more and that he will have to get back to me. When string inverters fail, it is typically a cheap less than $10 relay or capacitor, but unless you are good at electronics, that tiny part will make you need to buy an entire new inverter.
                      The Schneider XW lineup has 10 year warranty. if they are on an outbuilding, pole mount or ground mount, the dwelling requirements for module level shutdown, don't apply.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Hi guys,

I got three quotes (2 local companies and then Sunrun through Costco). All three are sort of all over the place and I am unsure of really where to proceed from here. Appreciate any thoughts/comments.

$21,000
                        18 Hanwha 305-watt panels (106% of electric)
                        Inverter: SolarEdge SE-5000A-US
                        Optimizers: SolarEdge P320
                        Total Power: 5,490 watts
                        1st Year Generation: 6,884 kilowatt-hours

$16,400
                        15 LG 320N1K-A5 (100% of electric)
                        Inverters 15x Enphase Energy IQ6PLUS
                        Peak power 4.8 kW
                        Annual Production 6,494 kilowatt hours

24,750 110% of electric.
                        18 x LG330N1C-A5
                        Inverter 1x Ginlong 1P5k-4G-US
                        5.94 kW
                        Annual production 7258kilowat hours
                        All 3 quotes are too high. Aim for $3.10-3.20 a watt before any incentives with all top quality equipment (Panasonic/LG/Sunpower panels and Enphase/Solaredge inverter), and $2.70 a watt with lower quality panels (ie. hanwha)

Comment

Working...
                        X