Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RMarie24
    • Mar 2017

Any thoughts on Hanwha Q Cells?

Looking at going solar in San Diego and one of the companies gave me a quote for Hanwha Q Cell monocrystalline panels and I can't seem to find much on them. The company seems really great .. very good reviews and they even have a 20 year no leak guarantee and 25 year workmanship warranty as well. They also have LG's .. Here is what I'm being offered:

10.2 kW system
    34 Q-Cells 300 Q Plus BFR G4.1
    Solar Edge- SE10000A-US
    Quick PV mounting system
    Factory extended warranty for Solar Edge
    25 year workmanship warranty
    20 Year no leak guarantee
    $27,540 (pre incentive)
    $2.70 per watt

10.24 kW system
    32 LG Neon 2 320 Panels
    Solar Edge- SE10000A-US
    Quick PV mounting system
    $31,232 (pre incentive)
    $3.05 per watt

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions. Thanks in advance! Also, if anyone could pm me pool solar company suggestions that would be amazing. Most of the recommendations I've received have been companies with poor reviews. I'm under the impression I might not be able to respond because of my lack of forum involvement but I would be very appreciative!
    Last edited by RMarie24; 03-07-2017, 09:18 PM.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by RMarie24
    Looking at going solar in San Diego and one of the companies gave me a quote for Hanwha Q Cell monocrystalline panels and I can't seem to find much on them. The company seems really great .. very good reviews and they even have a 20 year no leak guarantee and 25 year workmanship warranty as well. They also have LG's .. Here is what I'm being offered:

10.2 kW system
    34 Q-Cells 300 Q Plus BFR G4.1
    Solar Edge- SE10000A-US
    Quick PV mounting system
    $27,540 (pre incentive)
    $2.70 per watt

10.24 kW system
    32 LG Neon 2 320 Panels
    Solar Edge- SE10000A-US
    Quick PV mounting system
    $31,232 (pre incentive)
    $3.05 per watt

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions. Thanks in advance!
    Maybe not, but since you seem to be asking:

Have you determined your annual usage ?
    Have you determined how much of that annual usage you want to replace w/ output from a PV system ?
    Do you know that reducing usage via conservation is probably more cost effective than PV and will allow further savings by reducing the required PV system size ?

Have you verified system output estimates by using PVWatts ? Get your orientations, use 10% system losses and make your own estimates of long term system output. Read the PVWatts help info screens first.

A dart throw: Around San Diego, a 10.2 kW system w/good orientation and min. shade, ought to generate something like 16,000 kWh/yr., or a bit more. Vendors will usually underestimate output resulting in larger systems than may be necessary, sometimes by a lot, especially when selling to the solar ignorant. System oversizing may feel good but it's rarely as cost effective as systems based on long term cost effective sizing. If you have not done so already, download a slightly outdated but free copy of "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies" from the net (New versions are ~ $25 @ stores) and look before you leap.

If a roof mount, have you had your roof under the proposed PV array inspected/serviced ?

Any HOA approvals necessary ?

Making a sound PV decision is a bit more involved than, for example, buying a new water heater. The best outcomes are achieved by those who get informed. Knowledge is power - the power to not get ripped off.

Look for most bang for your long term buck, not necessarily low initial price. There is a difference.

Your prices look not too bad. However, it's maybe worth considering that it's bad to pay too much, but worse to pay too little.

Beyond the obvious basics of using quality equipment, vendor quality is at least as important as material quality. Solar panels have become a commodity with quality among known and established mfgs. pretty good. Long warranties will mean little if the vendor or mfg. is not around if/when the need for service arises. Vendors who've been around long before solar whop know the value of a customer and who have other ways to survive after solar tanks again may be worth a slight premium.

Welcome to the neighborhood and the forum of few(er) illusions.

Comment

• sensij
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2014

I would be happy to have either of those panels on my roof.
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Working...