What do you think of these components from Sunrun?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • supertrucker
    • Jun 2016

What do you think of these components from Sunrun?

• ktran1
    • Jul 2016

If you purchase solar from sunrun, their quote is expensive with cheap solar panel.

Comment

• solarix
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2015

The equipment is probably just fine, although Solis is a very uncommon inverter brand. As for Sunrun, be very careful. I've had to redo several of their installs around here because they were done on roofs with wornout shingles and was not impressed by the installation craftmanship.
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by solarix
        The equipment is probably just fine, although Solis is a very uncommon inverter brand. As for Sunrun, be very careful. I've had to redo several of their installs around here because they were done on roofs with wornout shingles and was not impressed by the installation craftmanship.
        Ditto on the installer. I've seen several of their jobs up close/personal. In general, the roof penetrations seem bit shoddy, the cabling/conduit could be better and adherence to drawings with respect to location could be better. In fairness, Sunrun has an 8 year old array in my HOA that I walk by several days/week. Besides the usual Sunrun stuff, the set up looks kind of funky w/3 roof locations with 2 azimuths, each with different tilts, all 3 locations with a fair amount of shading, but it doesn't seem to have any operational problems. It's a PPA and the resident got totally screwed on price, even for 8 years ago, but that's separate from reliability considerations. Like the other bottom feeding vendors, the admin. seems a revolving door of sub par keyboard bangers.

Comment

• OldCharley
          • Jul 2016

It appears once your locked into a lease, you are stuck for life with SunRun. We least our in 2012 and trying to purchase it and can't get a good answer other than read your agreement. Our system has been down since 22 June 2016 and the agreement has the term "Reasonable Time", what does that really mean. We were told they will maintain the system, clean it, etc. etc. But that was a verbal statement. I am not a happy leaser with SunRun.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by OldCharley
            It appears once your locked into a lease, you are stuck for life with SunRun. We least our in 2012 and trying to purchase it and can't get a good answer other than read your agreement. Our system has been down since 22 June 2016 and the agreement has the term "Reasonable Time", what does that really mean. We were told they will maintain the system, clean it, etc. etc. But that was a verbal statement. I am not a happy leaser with SunRun.
            Potential solar users reading this post take note: Not trying to kick this poster when they're down, but welcome to the world of getting screwed by lease/PPA peddlers. Poor customer service can happen with any situation, but can be particularly onerous with bottom feeding peddlers of leases/PPA's. Is yours a lease or a PPA ?

If it's a common type SunRun PPA, at least your not paying much/anything while production is down.
            Last edited by J.P.M.; 07-09-2016, 12:12 PM. Reason: Changed text.

Comment

• OldCharley
              OldCharley commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry, I am not knowledgeable about solar panels so I don't understand common type verses PPA. From my understanding I am locked in for 20 years. I am feeling the need that I need to pay a lawyer to read my agreement. So far in 2014 between SunRun and Southern California Edison, we paid out for the year $2,742.00 and 2015 $ 2,492.00. I thought solar was so that we would be saving money and paying next to nothing for electricity. My stupidity for not studying up on leasing verses buying a system.
          • GoingElectric
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2022

Originally posted by solarix
            To add to that:
            I got a quote, and I told them my roof needed replacement with an obvious temporary repair.
            The proposal said roof was OK.

I had to reiterate I told them I need a new roof.

Comment

Working...