Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anjen
    • Mar 2016

Solar Panels

I am sure this has been posted, BUT wanting to take the easy route. I have been getting quotes on solar panels and inverters. Pricing is on LG panels with Enphase inverter or Sunpower with Sunpower inverter (345 watt panel). One person told me the inverter will not handle the panel output and the other said they wouldn't sell the inverter with the panel (both Sunpower) if it could not. Since prices vary based upon MFG according to estimates, what panel is the better panel. What panel is recommended to get?
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Anjen
    I am sure this has been posted, BUT wanting to take the easy route. I have been getting quotes on solar panels and inverters. Pricing is on LG panels with Enphase inverter or Sunpower with Sunpower inverter (345 watt panel). One person told me the inverter will not handle the panel output and the other said they wouldn't sell the inverter with the panel (both Sunpower) if it could not. Since prices vary based upon MFG according to estimates, what panel is the better panel. What panel is recommended to get?
    Sunpower is very good equipment, but overpriced for what you get - in my neighborhood by about a buck a or more for the Sunpower system before incentives - and what you get is about equal output per Watt of system size for about as long as you're likely to own either system. So, suite yourself, pay ~ 25% + more for the Sunpower system, and get essentially the same output as the LG system, analogous to buying a Mercedes to haul groceries when a Ford or Toyota will do. See prior posts for more details.This topic has been beaten to death around here.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Agree, Sunpower is over rated and over priced. You can get just as good or better panels for lot less cost.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Anjen
        • Mar 2016

Thank you, how about the LG Versus Solar World AND is it worth paying more for a higher wattage panel? Is m told the Panasonic higher wattage is more money but a better panel because it would require less.

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Anjen
        Thank you, how about the LG Versus Solar World AND is it worth paying more for a higher wattage panel? Is m told the Panasonic higher wattage is more money but a better panel because it would require less.

simplest way to look at all of them is in $/w.
        saying that the panasonic is better because it requires less modules is disingenuous.

It is like saying that a V6 is better because it requires less pistons. Though it is true it has less pistons, most drivers don't really care about that.
        Some V6s have more power than SOME V8s , but if you look at what matters to you such as $/gpm or $/hp you will get a far better comparison.

In Solar that would be $/watt for most people, for others with small roof spaces, it might be $/m^2 . yet other want best $/w of all black on black modules....
        Last edited by ButchDeal; 05-12-2016, 07:52 AM.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• BrentEMarvin
          • May 2016

Could you be more specific about what type of panels? There are two basic types electric and thermal (hot air and hot water) Anyways installing solar panel is the big deal I don't think you get your answer here. There are two ways one is you should try once and other one is go to the best solar company they will tell you and "freedomsolar" is the best way go solar.

Comment

• rsilvers
            • Apr 2016

Today I saw a house that had about 1/2 of its roof with panels. Hopefully they didn't pay extra for SP panels!

I am limited by space, but I was not going to pay 85 cents per watt more for 320 watt SunPower panels than I was quoted for 315 watt LG panels.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by BrentEMarvin
              Could you be more specific about what type of panels? There are two basic types electric and thermal (hot air and hot water) Anyways installing solar panel is the big deal I don't think you get your answer here. There are two ways one is you should try once and other one is go to the best solar company they will tell you and "freedomsolar" is the best way go solar.
              The OP is considering PV panels. The mfg.'s and equipment mentioned are for generating electricity.

Comment

Working...