Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hi,wondering if anyone here has any advice on using solar for a 32 volt system ,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi,wondering if anyone here has any advice on using solar for a 32 volt system ,

my boat has 32 volt starters as well as some of the lighting,I can,t afford to switch to the more common 12 or 24 volt at the moment but have lots of good solar panels

To my knowledge there are no controllers with 32 volt output. A few odd ones that will do 36, but the market is really 12, 24, and 48 volts.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by maverick4 View Post
      my boat has 32 volt starters as well as some of the lighting,I can,t afford to switch to the more common 12 or 24 volt at the moment but have lots of good solar panels
      It is quite likely (but do not rely on my word alone!) that your boat starter motors will run just fine on 36V. Applying 48V to them would be more of a stretch and would require more information about the specific motors than you probably have.

The 32V specification is most likely intended for use with a nominal 36V battery bank and expecting at least 4 volts of drop in the starter wiring. What is currently powering those starter motors? Eight 4V or four 8V lead acid batteries? Or some other battery type?

In the same way, NEMA standard AC motors are specified to run at 230V even though they are intended for use on a nominal 240V system and may or may not work well on a 208V system.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

The Midnite Kid marine charge controller is designed to work with 36V battery banks out of the box, but you can also program it for different voltages in its menu, so you can drop the float, absorb, and bulk voltages down to the right level for your 32V battery bank. I know Outback makes 32V marine inverters for boats that use 32V. It's not common, but is still around.
        Solar Queen
        altE Store

Comment

You can use 32 volt system.

Comment

Originally posted by EdwardGibbs View Post
            You can use 32 volt system.
            And you can use a 42V system. But finding affordable parts gets hard since mass production is focused on 24 & 48V gear.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
            X