Solar Power Industry News; What's going on with flexi solar panels?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RayO
    • Nov 2015

Solar Power Industry News; What's going on with flexi solar panels?

I was looking around for a forum here on Industry News and could not find it it so I picked this one as the most appropriate for this topic.

But what is happening with Flexible thin solar panels? Two places both Amazon and Home Depot are not carrying some because the manufacturer
    decided to discontinue them. Seems like there would have been a good market for them. Anybody know what happened? I see Grape discontinued
    theirs and the only ones I can find are Made in China one's on Ebay and have no reviews.

I did a keyword search on them and saw there was some light discussion here that talked about using them but nothing really in depth.

What gives on this topic?

RayO
    "from the Sunshine State"
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Simple, they are a POS. Thin Film panels degrade quickly. You will never see one with 5 years of service. The sun light destroys them. Dow and a few other companies use amde solar shingle, Thin Film. They all went bankrupt from warranty claims. Stay away from them.

Only people that use them is Investers who use your money to build a solar plant, then sell it to a sucker to make a nice profit off your money. That is how solar works.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• rollug
      • Dec 2015

It was a big failure. Never ever again.
      [url]http://easysolar.co/[/url]

Comment

• RayO
        • Nov 2015

So they have a short life expectancy, that is not surprising. I believe they will get better. In fact a rep from the aforementioned solar manufacturer I contacted says they will be releasing another more improved one in a few months. It's all about the development life cycle of a product and "don't give up".

Comment

• Drastyn
          • Dec 2015

We’re talking about thin-film panels also here https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...orld-scenarios .

Anyway, now days thin-films can only be good on boat, caravan etc but even there is better a semi-flexible panel maybe with Sunpower cells.

Comment

• Living Large
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by RayO
            So they have a short life expectancy, that is not surprising. I believe they will get better. In fact a rep from the aforementioned solar manufacturer I contacted says they will be releasing another more improved one in a few months. It's all about the development life cycle of a product and "don't give up".
            I'm not rushing to invest based on you think they will get better and a company expects to release an improved product.

Either they are going to release a miracle product, or they may achieve an incremental improvement on what appears to have been garbage. Call me a skeptic. I did my risky investing and got into a Ponzi scheme. I am more conservative now, but I do appreciate that others are more willing to jump into the pond.

Comment

Working...