X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by J.P.M.

I seem to remember Ford had some tree hugger's wet dream/advert. about 3 or 4 yrs. ago and put a Sunpower panel on the roof of a vehicle sort of as a concept. At the time, I also seem to remember Russ lead the charge on Calling B.S. on that one.
    JPM you understand the physics. You standard factory golf cart uses Series Wound DC motors of 36 volts and later models use 48 volt. EZGO offers a AC model. But to my point the carts with DC motors battery to wheel efficiency is roughly 175 to 200 wh/mile. Not that great. AC models around 150 wh/mile.

All factory golf carts are built to do 2-rounds per day to 50% DOD. That is about 10 to 15 miles. Your 36 volt carts use 6-T-105's, and 48 volt models vary a bit but basically 48 volts @ 160 AH. The standard roof size on carts is roughly the same size of a 175 to 200 watt panel. In fact you can buy Golf Cart Roof Solar panels, they are 200 watts, and come with a Boost Charge Controller to step up to either 36 or 48 volt for the battery.

So when you crunch the numbers, take Peukert Factor into consideration, A 200 watt panel is merely a range extender of maybe 2 miles per day max. And that is if you keep the cart in full sun all day which would be tough on any golf coarse except maybe AZ and NV.

So you know what I am driving at. The math does not work, and I have already been there and done that. OTOH if you only use the cart to make a mail run of a mile or two per day, a panel could keep up, but would still require a standard cart charger to top them off and maintenance. Golf Cart batteries run around $700/set and if you baby them 3 years.

I do know of one application where a solar panel can work fairly well, expensive option, but it would work. On a custom Golf Cart like mine for th e12 volt auxiliary system to run lights, stereo, GPS, and toys to take that load off the Traction battery using a converter.

So having said that when someone says they used a 350 watt panel that would be way to large for a golf cart roof, a off the shelf Controller, to charge a 36 or 48 volt battery, and never have to use a charger is BS. Nothing fits the story.

As for FORD well they did try their hand in the NEV market back in the early 2000's with the FORD THINK. Had the pleasure of working on a couple of them with friends doing mods. They are actually built more like a car than a cart with real suspensions and disc brakes. Only lasted 2 model years before being discontinued. You can still find them for sale from time to time. Several in CA and AZ. .
    Last edited by Sunking; 04-06-2016, 07:49 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
      JPM you understand the physics.
      I believe I understand the physics to the point that thinking an EV with PV attached can be a self sustaining vehicle with no other power input is, in practical terms as a day/day replacement for an ICE or current EV at this time and at this state of the science and technology, a fantasy.

Some day maybe, and hope springs eternal, but not this day, and I think highly improbable in the lifetime of anyone reading this.

Comment

Working...