WE Energies to Squash Distributed Renewables with their latest rate case.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwilcox
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2014

WE Energies to Squash Distributed Renewables with their latest rate case.

Unbelievable stuff happening in Wisconsin right now. WE Energies' rate case, now being considered by the Public Service Commission, proposes that on January 1, 2016 all Customer generation rate schedules will go to the following:

COGS-NM Tariff
    • Capacity demand charge of 3.794/month/KW installed
    • Facilities charge of 3.32/month for the generation meter
    • Annual Netting changed to monthly netting. Excess will be credited at .04245/kWh

For my 4KW installation, the new charges will be $222/year or 1/3 of my total production. Because of the fixed cost per KW installed, that percentage scales across the entire installed base. Their current advertising campaign paints me as a customer who "doesn't pay his fair share for the grid". After netting out my solar, my current electric bill still averages about $200/month.

Anyway, my contribution to the docket which is 5-ur-107 on the Wisconsin Public Service Commission web site pretty much sums up the reality. Feel free to mine the data yourself at the http://psc.wi.gov/apps40/dockets/content/detail.aspx?dockt_id=5-UR-107.

Here's the content of my contribution:

I am a DER provider here in Wisconsin, currently billed under the COGS 8 rate tariff. I own a 4KW PV system that I commissioned in two phases. The first 1KW array went online in August of 2013 and the additional 3KW was added in June of 2014.

First, let me say this: I get the basic point. As a DER provider on the CGS8 tariff, I am allowed to use the grid like a huge battery. It eagerly absorbs my excess energy and net metering allows me to draw back from that battery when I need to at no additional charge. Every year that battery is reset and I am paid .04/kWh if its value is greater than zero. However, my CGS8 rate tariff was granted to me based on the fact that this wasn’t likely to ever happen.

So what is that battery worth? There are two studies that shed light on this in the docket’s document list. One commissioned by WE Energies themselves back in 2009 (rebago-25 in the document list) concluded that excess DER production is worth about .14/kWH to Wisconsin Electric. Another, commissioned by Duke Energy in NC (attachment in renew-int-20 in the document list) showed that the total cost of DER PV production is between $1.43 and $9.82 per mWh of PV energy. This is primarily due to the fact that the generation fleet must be constantly cycled up and down to balance the grid during high DER production.

According to PVWatts, my 4KW array can put out 5.2mWh/year. So, using worse case I get 9.82 * 5.2 = $51.06/year and using best case I get 1.43 * 5.2 = $7.44/year. That's what WE Energies spends to balance my excess generation according to the Duke study.

The .14/kWh cited in the 2009 WE Energies study is harder to quantify. It is based in part on the fact that the excess energy from my house directly powers my neighbors during peak sunlight and WE energies still gets to charge them peak rates. Our local step-down transformer never even sees a negative current flow during this time because overall net energy still flows towards the customer. WE Energies is realizing this credit whenever the instantaneous energy flow from my house is negative. Consequently, I would argue that the value itself is not 0 over the course of a year, but does represent some credit against the $7.44 to $51.06 yearly cost.

Therefore, at worst case, based on the two studies in the docket, I owe WE energies something less than $51 per year and at best case, WE Energies may actually owe me a credit.

Instead, WE Energies proposes to charge me $221.95/year using the proposed COGS-NM tariff (I won’t be eligible for COGS-NP because I have a parallel meter configuration). This is not only 4 times higher than the worst possible case above ($51.06 + $0 credit for excess generation) but is also about a third of the total annual electricity that my array produces ($725/year according to the PVWatts calculator). Additionally, this percentage will actually go up as my array degrades over its 20 year lifetime.

How can this be considered fair?? Why is WE Energies demonizing me in their advertising campaign promoting the new rates? I run only a 4KW DER facility that I paid 11K out of pocket to install. I absorb all ongoing maintenance. WE Energies gives me no quarter for that. The Energy I produce is carbon free and counts towards Wisconsin’s renewable energy target. Why am I being made out to be the monster not paying his fair share of the grid in their advertising eyes?

In conclusion, I would urge the commission to reject the COGS rate proposals. Additionally, since DER PV facilities such as mine represent only a small percentage of the current energy mix, there is time for a more careful consideration of the situation. Based on this, I would also urge the commission to request a fair, unbiased, and in-depth study from a non-involved third party. This study should take into account all viewpoints and would be specifically focused on Wisconsin’s unique Energy perspective.

I believe that Wisconsin needs to focus on creating a smart grid with an inherent ability to autonomously store and distribute excess energy. With such a grid, DER facilities throughout the state can take large scale advantage of variable yet renewable resources to the benefit of all Wisconsin energy consumers.
    4KW system featuring Suniva OPT265/Enphase M215
  • kwilcox
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2014

My wife posted that which leaves me free to speak during the public comments meeting in October. My focus during the meeting will be the fixed 4.5K cost to me over my array's 20 year lifespan (not taking into account future rate increases) balanced against the diminishing returns of my array as it looses efficiency over its lifetime.

In short, I will propose that "hybrid grid defection" is now cost effective for me. Essentially that means taking circuits off my panel and powering them from my array. Specifically, I'll use an outback systems AC coupled inverter to provide power for my server farm which draws 500Watts 7X24X365. You can't ask for a better load case than this actually. Here's a picture of it (red is server farm). The farm draws 11.4 kWh every day...

I will sum up my speech by pointing out the fact that grid defection is bad for Wisconsin and cite a Morgan Stanley case that justifies this in the docket (Rabago-9 in the docket list). I'll conclude by stating the same requests that we cited above along with the same final paragraph that we cited above.

Thanks for listening to me vent

Got any other suggestions?

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

So what is the problem?

The POCO does not need your power. They can generate it and/or buy it cheaper than what they give you for it. Why do you deserve retail prices which forces your neighbors to pay inflated higher electric rates and taxes to pay for your system? You can afford it without our help.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• kwilcox
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2014

Because I'll defect. And when I defect then the grid will be supported by fewer people at ever higher tariffs. Which will cause more people to defect, which will create micro grids to support those who can't generate their own, which will cause investment capital in traditional energy to dry up (see the morgan stanley case). The poco lines will look like the phone company lines. Unused and rotting away. This ever tightening spiral that will kill traditional energy in < 50 years.

The alternative is a smart grid that supports DER which allows geographic size to overcome renewable variation. Investment opportunity for pocos, roi for bond holders, less carbon, more sustainable future, heck: less terrorist destruction capabilities.

Why do you not see this?

Comment

• kwilcox
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2014

According to the NC study, my panels cost WE Energies between $7 and $50 per year. I'm happy to pay that. I'm not happy to pay $222 or 1/3 of my generation. WE Energies also wants to eliminate leasing. The proposal calls for only customer owned DER being allowed the COGS rates.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by kwilcox
            According to the NC study, my panels cost WE Energies between $7 and $50 per year. I'm happy to pay that. I'm not happy to pay $222 or 1/3 of my generation. WE Energies also wants to eliminate leasing. The proposal calls for only customer owned DER being allowed the COGS rates.
            More than likely the request by the Utility is high and they expect to get less but enough to off set their "loss" and still make a profit. It sucks but a lot of Utilities are now trying to figure out how to get some of the money back from the solar generators. Some are getting much less then what they ask for and hopefully your Utility will also get much less.

As for wanting to "defect". Please get real. A home owner will never be able to support all of their electric needs without greatly changing their lifestyle.

Sure it can be done but if you are crying about losing money and not being able to have a fast ROI on your solar investment you will never be able to get back what you put into a totally off grid system. You will also not bring the Utility to it's knees because there will still be a lot of people not wanting to disconnect from the grid even though it will be more expensive. Most people will just not want to give up their high energy use lifestyle.

I think you are doing what you need to do to show that the Utility's request to charge a high rate to solar generators is too high. Hopefully you and others will be able to present enough to get the Utility to reduce their fees but be prepared that they will still get some type of fee to charge you.

Comment

• kwilcox
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2014

Yeah, my "hybrid grid defection" strategy is scare tactics to the PSC for sure. I don't want to see grid defection ever. There are better ways to deal with this. WE Energies recently spent 2 billion on the Oak Creek coal plant expansion while at the same time reporting 227% ROI over 10 years (as reported on their 2013 annual report to shareholders). The cash is there...

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Yeah, my "hybrid grid defection" strategy is scare tactics to the PSC for sure.
                Will not scare the POCO or your utility commissioners, they know better. Try it and you will be laughed at and ignored like all the Tin Foil hat people.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

Annual Netting changed to monthly netting. Excess will be credited at .04245/kWh
                  What does this mean? I'm not selling or buying, but need to store summer energy for
                  use in winter. Resetting my credit every month would defeat the investment. Bruce Roe

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

Between 7$ and 50$ per year - makes no difference to them - they just laugh at your high cost for power.

Agree with them on the leasing - should not be there!
                    Last edited by russ; 09-20-2014, 02:02 AM. Reason: spelling
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• foo1bar
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2014

My wife posted that which leaves me free to speak during the public comments meeting in October. My focus during the meeting will be the fixed 4.5K cost to me over my array's 20 year lifespan (not taking into account future rate increases) balanced against the diminishing returns of my array as it looses efficiency over its lifetime.

In short, I will propose that "hybrid grid defection" is now cost effective for me. Essentially that means taking circuits off my panel and powering them from my array. Specifically, I'll use an outback systems AC coupled inverter to provide power for my server farm which draws 500Watts 7X24X365. You can't ask for a better load case than this actually. Here's a picture of it (red is server farm). The farm draws 11.4 kWh every day...

I will sum up my speech by pointing out the fact that grid defection is bad for Wisconsin and cite a Morgan Stanley case that justifies this in the docket (Rabago-9 in the docket list). I'll conclude by stating the same requests that we cited above along with the same final paragraph that we cited above.

Thanks for listening to me vent

Got any other suggestions?
                      I think it'd be more convincing to the commision to point out
                      * how much solar is installed (Find out - I'm sure it's very very little)
                      * how much additional the power company is required to have for renewables
                      * that this will discourage investment by homeowners that would enable the power company to reach that goal
                      * that other power companies have significantly more PV and aren't requiring these fees
                      * that this is obviously nothing more than a money grab by the utility where they are trying to demonize the few people who have installed solar and have been playing by the rules these utilities helped setup

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by foo1bar
                        that this is obviously nothing more than a money grab by the utility where they are trying to demonize the few people who have installed solar and have been playing by the rules these utilities helped setup
                        Generally agreed with your points but the PV panel squad is 100% feel good green politics where the utilities have little input.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• kwilcox
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by bcroe
                          What does this mean? I'm not selling or buying, but need to store summer energy for
                          use in winter. Resetting my credit every month would defeat the investment. Bruce Roe
                          Exactly. The big battery is being taken away in addition to leveraging charges = to 1/3 of your production. Thus the title of this thread.

Comment

• kwilcox
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
                            Will not scare the POCO or your utility commissioners, they know better. Try it and you will be laughed at and ignored like all the Tin Foil hat people.
                            Thanks for the insult. Unfortunately, the investment firm of Morgan Stanley disagrees with your assessment. While you're at it, maybe you might want to research Barclays recent downgrading of the entire US electric utility sector due to this exact same threat. Search the document list for Rabago-11.

I suppose these firms are also laughable "Tin Foil hat people" in your mind?

Comment

• kwilcox
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by foo1bar
                              I think it'd be more convincing to the commision to point out
                              * how much solar is installed (Find out - I'm sure it's very very little)
                              * how much additional the power company is required to have for renewables
                              * that this will discourage investment by homeowners that would enable the power company to reach that goal
                              * that other power companies have significantly more PV and aren't requiring these fees
                              * that this is obviously nothing more than a money grab by the utility where they are trying to demonize the few people who have installed solar and have been playing by the rules these utilities helped setup
                              All good points. As you hypothesized, we are 2% of the energy mix currently. I'll research the renewable requirement and emphasize this point more. I've been treating it as an intangible benefit against the contention that we don't "pay our fair share of the grid" but it really isn't.

Comment

Working...