Solar Panels Make Landfills Come to Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Panels Make Landfills Come to Light

All over the world space and land constraints are encouraging people to become innovative thinkers when it comes to repurposing areas. The U.S., the UK and Japan are all making plans to convert used and filled landfills into expansive solar panel farms. By collaborating and making deals with strong solar companies the areas are likely to save money and space and reduce their carbon footprint at the same time. Two towns in Connecticut are having the solar projects funded by outside sources, with no direct cost to residents. While in the UK the solar project will couple the collection of methane with the installation of solar panels for additional sustainable practices. The Japanese government is hopeful that its project will make reaching their renewable energy goal more attainable. This innovative project idea needs to be implemented in other areas as global population and energy demands continue to grow.

More...

A good idea since they rarely make good use of this type of land. Coupled with the Methane generators many have, it makes perfect sense to turn them into power plants.
    House-Sun Earth Hot Water.
    RV-390W Kyocera, Kid.

Comment

I agree that land fills are a good place to locate solar farms.

Unfortunately some people don't want them. There is some push back on one that is proposed to be put on a land fill in Bridgeport Conn. Apparently some people would prefer grass to solar energy.

http://www.renewablesbiz.com/article...content=410609

Comment

Hogwash, best use for a Landfill is to put a gorgeous golf course on top of it.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          Hogwash, best use for a Landfill is to put a gorgeous golf course on top of it.
          But it would be hard to make any water hazards without release some of that methane.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
            But it would be hard to make any water hazards without release some of that methane.
            Just adds a new meaning to Hazard. Seriously I know of quite a few Landfills converted to golf courses. It is one of the few things you can build on top of them. Ground is not stable enough for structures and will take decades to settle.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Solar energy is a very promising and abundant source of energy. I always wonder why there are only few places that are using solar power.
              [URL="http://www.qualityhvaclasvegas.com"].[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Grathhis View Post
                Solar energy is a very promising and abundant source of energy. I always wonder why there are only few places that are using solar power.
                If you are talking off-grid solar, it's because it is more costly than paying for mains power.

Grid tied solar, however, seems to be gaining popularity. To me, grid tied seems pretty useless, unless the mains never fail. Personally, I would rather have continuous power than just selling it back to the power company.

So, for me anyway, it isn't about the money, but reliability
                Paul

Comment

1) Cost - unless the kWh cost is very high or there are big incentives/subsidies it is not at all cost effective

2) Grid rules and regulations - not everywhere allows grid tie.

We have an occasional power failure that is annoying but I have a generator I rarely start except for the biweekly check. Costly to operate.

Solar power is still a very minor power producer - unlikely to change the next 20 years.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

It also depends on the state government and where they rank renewable energy as important. Some states in the US have embraced the need to increase the % of power generated from solar and wind. Other states like Florida have not.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                      It also depends on the state government and where they rank renewable energy as important. Some states in the US have embraced the need to increase the % of power generated from solar and wind. Other states like Florida have not.
                      In Turkey and most of the rest of the world that is not even on the radar.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                      X