X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rdjntx
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2012

Utah Solar Customers catch a Break

Seems the Utah Energy Commission has blocked a proposed Solar Net Metering "connection fee". Solar Users in Utah Win one ...

"SALT LAKE CITY — Utah solar advocates and customers are hailing a decision Friday by the Utah Public Service Commission to reject Rocky Mountain Power's request of a monthly fee for rooftop solar homes.

“What a bright day for Utah’s future. This order protects energy choice in Utah and recognizes the potential solar has to benefit all Utahns,” said Sarah Wright, executive director of Utah Clean Energy.

Members of another advocacy group, HEAL Utah, were also pleased......"

The POCO did have some pretty good arguments but not enough to make a difference. Based on what the commission told them however I am sure this will get revisited down the road
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Rdjntx
    Seems the Utah Energy Commission has blocked a proposed Solar Net Metering "connection fee". Solar Users in Utah Win one ...

"SALT LAKE CITY — Utah solar advocates and customers are hailing a decision Friday by the Utah Public Service Commission to reject Rocky Mountain Power's request of a monthly fee for rooftop solar homes.

“What a bright day for Utah’s future. This order protects energy choice in Utah and recognizes the potential solar has to benefit all Utahns,” said Sarah Wright, executive director of Utah Clean Energy.

Members of another advocacy group, HEAL Utah, were also pleased......"

The POCO did have some pretty good arguments but not enough to make a difference. Based on what the commission told them however I am sure this will get revisited down the road
    There is going to be some type of new calculation needed to determine how much a solar generator needs to contribute to the Utilities infrastructure. If that will be a fixed fee or something based on their installed PV KW or maybe some type of usage fee. Don't know the answer but it will happen and needs to be fair to all.

Just like the States that get money from gasoline tax to maintain the roadways. They have been trying to determine how to "tax" people with an EV that use the roadway but do not pay anything to keep it repaired because they do not purchase gas. My guess is that gas taxes will go down and real estate taxes will go up. Of course now people with homes that don't drive will be paying to fix the roadways. Interesting problem.

Comment

• Rdjntx
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle
      There is going to be some type of new calculation needed to determine how much a solar generator needs to contribute to the Utilities infrastructure. If that will be a fixed fee or something based on their installed PV KW or maybe some type of usage fee. Don't know the answer but it will happen and needs to be fair to all.

Just like the States that get money from gasoline tax to maintain the roadways. They have been trying to determine how to "tax" people with an EV that use the roadway but do not pay anything to keep it repaired because they do not purchase gas. My guess is that gas taxes will go down and real estate taxes will go up. Of course now people with homes that don't drive will be paying to fix the roadways. Interesting problem.

but they receive the benefit of the roadways, their food is primarily delivered over the roadways.

personally I would not have an issue if the fee were taken out of my overproduction

Comment

• JCP
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2014

Registration fees will go up for cars. Frankly, gas taxes need to go up for two reasons: 1) to raise money for road improvements since taxes have decreases in constant dollars and gas consumption is going down in places like CA and 2) to encourage more fuel efficient vehicles.

I'd favor higher gas taxes with a flat income tax credit to offset.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by JCP
          Registration fees will go up for cars. Frankly, gas taxes need to go up for two reasons: 1) to raise money for road improvements since taxes have decreases in constant dollars and gas consumption is going down in places like CA and 2) to encourage more fuel efficient vehicles.

I'd favor higher gas taxes with a flat income tax credit to offset.
          I guarantee that the politicians will find a way to tax something to get their money regardless if it makes sense or not.

Personally I would rather see them EV flying cars. Then we wouldn't need to take care of those roads.

Comment

• Rdjntx
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2012

I guarantee that the politicians will find a way to tax something to get their money regardless if it makes sense or not.

Personally I would rather see them EV flying cars. Then we wouldn't need to take care of those roads.
            only thing we would have to do then is clean up the mess. can you imagine the stupid people who drive now in flying cars .. they would still cause traffic jams even in the air

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Road tax on EV's is already solved, just not implemented. Based on mileage every year when you renew your tag/license.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• paulcheung
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2013

only thing we would have to do then is clean up the mess. can you imagine the stupid people who drive now in flying cars .. they would still cause traffic jams even in the air
                Well it won't be them drive(flying) the car. it will self fly just enter the destinations.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

I know. It was always a dream when I was a kid back in the 60's to have a car that flew. But your right it would be utter chaos and midair crashes.

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Sunking
                    Road tax on EV's is already solved, just not implemented. Based on mileage every year when you renew your tag/license.
                    100% correct - the green lobby has a lot of power with the state congress bunch. Same reason you get to use the HOV lane for simply having an EV.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• JCP
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Mar 2014

One thing we know about consumers is that most of us don't like to pay based on consumption, but favor a flat fee. I don't see a registration fee based on actual mileage ever making it.

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by JCP
                        One thing we know about consumers is that most of us don't like to pay based on consumption, but favor a flat fee. I don't see a registration fee based on actual mileage ever making it.
                        Aren't there already fees for the trucking industry based on the miles a truck travels and weighs?

Comment

Working...